PL7: What's the best improvement in your experience?

Yes.I was hoping that too when seing this greyed slider.

1 Like

You can encompass lot of colors in one channel, not only the predefined ones (even the whole range of colors).
So, maybe …

1 Like

Accurate assessment. It’s why upgrading every 2 years is common as you are more likely to have improvements that resonate with you.

For DXO to be successful they have to implement new features/improvements for users and remain competitive against the competition. Whether focusing on colour will do this, time will tell.

Let them create a nice engine which reflect the qualitys they’re claiming.
Then they will hopefully be able to add all needed tools to manipulate it.

Check out this page:

1 Like

The vibrancy slider in that location replaces the one in the Color Accentuation section from previous versions of PhotoLab . Color Accentuation has been removed in PL 7.

Mark

I see. Interesting. So they moved around some old features and put them in different places.

Yes. The one of the global chanel (white dot).
But what about those (grayed out) of the other channels ?
A feature to come ?

I don’t believe they will ever be activated. They should be he hidden.

Mark

Yes … kind of unifying the HSL tool for global and local adjustments
and simply graying out what’s not in use.

If it’s practical especially with the tight space for the LA adjustments … that’s a different question.

1 Like

Should the other channels be hidden or the vibrancy slider, when activating other channels?
There‘s also a plus side of the current situation. Since vibrancy tries to protect skin tones and enhance skies, it might be good to have a reminder „vibrancy is active“ when trying to tinker with red, yellow, orange, purple or blue. Some of these colors will act differently with active vibrancy, I assume.

Would be nice to know if global channel (white dot) is aplied before or after other channels (unless all channels contribute to a unique function aplied in one time).
This could be tested. @BHAYT ?

@JoPoV Now you are setting me a challenge.

But it is breakfast time and I have already used my allotted “play” time. Image editing is not my forte (accent missing) but I will see what you are asking later!

1 Like

You’re the man ! :muscle:

Agree and directly bought a Datacolor SpyderCheckr24 card, which will arrive today :wink:

1 Like

@JoPoV when I said it was not my forte I meant exactly that! In another post I have stated that I would have preferred

to remain because I have never used HSL (except to “play” with) and arguably never want to but now have to in order to change ‘Vibrancy’ and ‘Saturation’!

So I have fiddled and arrived at this

after I have arbitrarily set any of the 3 sliders available for each colour channel.

Looking at PL6.10 and PL7.01 side by side, same image different directories, HSL looks the same on both except for the addition of ‘Vibrancy’ (and the loss of both ‘Saturation’ and ‘Vibrancy’ as separate entities).

Setting the ‘Vibrancy’ for the ‘White’ channel means that setting is only visible in the ‘White’ channel and just the greyed (0) setting is shown in the other colours.

The desire to put it there was almost certainly so it could be implemented in a uniform way in the new ‘Local Adjustments’ a welcome addition.

Now what was it you wanted me to investigate in words of one syllable for a novice HSL user!?

PS:- Sorry but my posts will always be in English and my screens may also look strange because they will be for Win10!

On second thought there are more questions than I asked to fully understand some of this tool subtletys.
This will exhaust me to be sure to explain this clearly in english.
But I know how to test it.
So I’ll do it when I have v7 demo installed (not yet - haven’t enough time for now to take advantage of the 1-month free trial).
Anyway thanks for your attention.

In my case, I find that the auto settings are often great for producing natural looking land/cityscape photos, so I am less interested in the local adjustment features. Where I need them, I’d use Lightroom / Photoshop, to be frank.

The preview speed up on a MacBook Pro is v welcome. I quite like some of the new colour profiles – DXO - Natural, etc – although it’d be even better if they produced faster previews as the differences between profiles can be subtle and so a fast preview comparison would be welcome.

So if I was the product manager I’d focus on making the auto settings even better (eg, the white balance, perspective control, etc), make the program faster still and sell it as an app that produces the highest quality images with the least full (rather than trying to compete on features for those that need a lot of local adjustments, where Lightroom/ACR’s AI masks will be hard to beat).

Personally, I quite like the monochrome workflow. Gets good results quickly.
I previously used Nik Collection Silver EFX and FilmPack as starting points, but being able to just jump into editing B&W directly in PL7 is great (even if I will still continue to use the other apps for some projects).

The product you describe was Optics Pro. Such a limited apps target audience would be very small. If people want “auto” or “auto” + simple slider adjustment to produce an OK image, then that’s also available in competing products.

DXO are going to have to develop AI masking to compete with the competition. It doesn’t have to beat LR but it has to be competitive. By that I mean that DXO’s overall masking capability ie the masking options provided, should enable users to quickly and simply mask the areas they need to mask.

Rather than talk about this in the abstract take a look at this ON1 Photo Raw video which illustrates some of the masking techniques available. I say some as it doesn’t include their new encircle mask option for object selection. Does their AI mask beat LR? No. Can you mask what you want, feather the mask, edit the mask etc? Yes.

If DXO choose to compete, and from what I heard on the PL7 release video, unfortunately they may not do so, they do have the advantage of U-Point technology to enhance DXO AI masking which on its own will not match AI but their overall masking package will.

In the same way as Optics Pro, a global only editing program was destined for the backwaters as simple raw converters became image editors thanks to local adjustments, that trend will continue with AI masking. For those who have not experienced AI masking, I suggest that you download a trial and get some experience.