PL5 Tiff Exports has two pages

I do sometimes use the Nik plugins, but I can’t remember if it creates a one or a two-page Tiff. I’ll need to test that to be sure.

Hector

It appears to be dependent on the software itself. Some software support for multi-page Tiffs and some don’t. I also have Lightroom 5, Luminar, Capture One express, On1 Photo Raw which does not show the second page there. ACDSee appears to “support” displaying multi-page Tiff, so it’s visible there.

Hector

That’s what it looks like. I was just hoping I missed something somewhere.

Hector

The reason I asked is because when imported into ACDSee 2022, the developer module is not compatible with multi-page Tiffs.

I have to reconvert the Tiffs in ACDSee to a single page before I can work on it. I was hoping that I can simplify my workflow by just exporting the Tiff from PL5 as single page. So far, I have not found a way to do that.

I use ACDSee as my DAM and main editor and PL5 for certain specialized edits. Tiff can be exported in a higher quality than jpeg, so I prefer to use that format.

Hector

The second page in that tiff is the thumbnail. ACD says it can’t process this file most probably for it is to small. Just continue with the first image.

George

I too have used Windows since the dawn of time (I even remember Windows 1 :smile: ). Similarly, I’ve exported hundreds of TIFFs from PL but until this thread came up I’d never noticed that PL creates multipage TIFFs.

Yes, I am referring to the default built-in Win 10 photo viewer:

1. In Explorer, find a TIFF generated by PL and not subsequently saved by another application
  2. RIGHT click on the file
  3. Choose ‘Open with’
  4. Chose ‘Windows Photo Viewer’
    This is not a not issue either, this screen shoot is from a TIFF generated by Optics Pro 8:

I have several RAW processors on my Mac and the only one, apart from PL5, that generates the extra thumbnail in a TIFF export is Nikon NX Studio.

This second thumbnail is obviously not part of any standard and has to be down to the code that DxO use to export it.

Let me say it again.
Whether you see 2 images depends on the software you use viewing them. Some can deal with those 2 pages, some can not.
@Joanna try it with an out of the camera tiff. You will get the same result.

George

I’m sorry but I have to disagree.

I just took a shot in TIFF with my Nikon D850 and, yes, opening the file in Preview showed the second thumbnail.

But then I took a RAW from the same camera, opened it in Preview, which only showed a single image - then I exported it to TIFF from Preview and got a TIFF, which, when I opened that in Preview, showed only the main image from the only thumbnail present.

I have also tried other RAW processors and most of them create a TIFF with only one thumbnail for the main image, as viewed in Preview, which as demonstrated is capable of showing both those with and those without a second thumbnail.

That’s the same result isn’t it?

I agree there’s something strange going on with the tiff. I think partly due a difference in writing them and partly due to a difference in viewing them.
Irfanview by example shows me 2 pages but when I create a new tiff with irfanview it only has 1 page.

George

The same result as exporting from PL5, yes. But that only means that Nikon writes the second thumbnail.

There may be some viewers that ignore the second thumbnail but that doesn’t mean that certain software also writes it unnecessarily.

Which seems to concur with my result from Preview. It is obviously possible to create a single thumbnail TIFF, it’s just that Nikon, PL5 and possibly others, have decided to create them with a second one.

As some have noticed, for some software, trying to read files exported from PL5, can cause problems.

My question is that, if a single thumbnail is more compatible, why bother creating the second?

I don’t know why the second image is created or it is another way to read the thumbnail. I noticed this years ago when I had the camera on tiff by accident . It took me a while when I saw that image 1 had a zoom level of 67% and the other one a zoom level of 1591% :pleading_face:

George

Yes, that second thumbnail is minute. The only reason I can think of for having it is for a fast preview in (legacy) browsing apps.

On further research, I found a discussion in another forum, where someone had sent their TIFFs, which included this second thumbnail, to a print shop and every one came back with the small thumbnail superimposed in the top-left corner.

Now, obviously, the print shop should have checked this out before printing, but it does show that its inclusion can have consequences.

The Canon print layout utility that I use for their A2 printer seems to totally ignore the second thumbnail.

Previously, I used to use either Preview or ColorSync Utility, both part of macOS - Preview shows the second thumbnail and I have to select the first for printing, but ColorSync Utility only shows the main image and can be printed without selection.

So, even with two apps from the same publisher, things are not consistent.

It would be much simpler if DXO, as a publisher of exported TIFF files, would adhere to the single image per TIFF rule, which seems to be completely compatible with all other software, instead of allowing the possibility of confusion and error.

@StevenL is this something you can raise?

I just learned something in irfanview. When go to the next image using the mouse I get that thumbnail. But when I go to the next image with the arrow the thumbnail is bypassed.

George

1 Like

Indeed, ACDSee seems to have problems with 2-page Tiffs. While there is no problem with single page TIFFs to open them with the Develop module.

Regardless of this “problem”, I’m always a bit surprised by software that offers to develop… a file that is already developed!
While waiting for a solution to be proposed (and besides who is at fault: PL5 or ACDSee?), could the use of the “Edit” module not solve your problem, since this module takes up a large part of the possible settings with Develop?

It’s a bit off topic, but I think you will if you use:

• first PL5 for demosaicing
  • then ACDSee for the rest of the settings,
    you would really benefit from going through a linear dng output from PL5 instead of a Tiff: in this case you retain almost all the possibilities of a raw, with a smaller file size than a 16-bit Tiff . And ACDSee has no problem with this type of dng.

gerarto

2 Likes

That doesn’t work for me. Neither image will work in develop mode. It appears to be a limitation in ACDSee. I have a workaround. I was checking to see if I can improve on that workflow.

Thanks for comment!

Hector

I don’t know ACDSee but, with other software, develop mode is only for RAW files, so I wouldn’t expect to use that mode for TIFF files. In fact, that seems to be confirmed by the user manual - develop mode is only for RAW. You need to use edit mode for TIFF files

Linear DNG works!! No issues that I can see. Thanks your suggestion gerarto!! No more reexporting the Tiffs in ACDSee. I’ll be using DNG from now on. This will save me time.

thanks again!

Hector

I do have several other software packages that I use occasionally. Even though their main function is to be a raw developer, they still work for images like jegs, tiff, dng, png, bmp, gif, etc. My collection is still probably 90% raw, but sometimes I have a need to move edits from one software to another which forces me to use an image format.

Thanks for your comment!

Hector

What IO was trying to say was that develop mode in most software is only for treating RAW files, not TIFF.

What is it that ACDSee does that you can’t do in PhotoLab?