PL5 Repair creates "surprise" straight line selection elements while attempting to create a circular mask!

Good morning!

Okay, got it. Then can you provide me with the screenshot?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Svetlana (@sgospodarenko)

The original JPG export and the original RAW and the DOP (s) used are in the original post above but I have also included the JPG export in the attached zip.

As the discussion with @Wolfgang in the posts above indicates this was probably caused by the rather “extreme” settings I was playing with but the result was not what I expected and was reproducible on other “big sky” photos taken on the same day albeit to a slightly lesser extent (using the same settings).

Thank you for your attention.P1088789_DxP5R.zip (11.7 MB)

Okay, got it now :slight_smile:

You are talking about this line produced by Selective Tone corrections:

NgaSuiWN9k

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

@sgospodarenko yes that is exactly the line I was (am) concerned about.

1 Like

Hello @BHAYT ,

It’s an intrinsic limitation of our selective tones – and in particular the highlights slider – and the way they are applied. So we cannot provide an actual solution, at least not in the short term.

We can, however, propose a workaround. In the local adjustments equalizer that you applied on the sky, you applied strong negative values on highlights, midtones and shadows. If you put back all of them to 0 and then apply negative exposure correction instead, you get a similar result but without the disturbing line. The upper part is a bit too dark, but you can compensate that by applying a positive value to the shadows.

With values: Highlights -100, Midtones -86, Shadows -80 is replaced by Exposure -3.5, Shadows + 60.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Thank you Svetlana (@sgospodarenko) I had suspected it was something to do with the process used and my rather extreme settings. @Wolfgang had suggested that my edits were a “little” heavy-handed and made suggestions to achieve a more balanced result which also avoided the problem.

I will take both sets of advice and try to produce a more balanced preset that can also be applied to other photos from the walk with or without any further tweaking for each photo.

I typically seek to develop a minimum set of presets for any set of photos (typically based on previous presets). There are 140 photos taken with the G9 (JPG and RAW) and also 140 taken with a Pixel 4a (also JPG & RAW but the Pixel uses Computational photography for the JPGs and DxO cannot currently handle the RAWs) and the sun was where the sun was (i.e. the weather was fine and we decided to take a walk whether the conditions were good, bad or indifferent for photography; but that is where PL5 comes into the picture!)

Thank you for your time and advice.

Regards

Bryan Thomas

1 Like