PL5: Misleading nomenclature with mask sensitivity parameters

To be sure, the new possibilities to fine-tune the mask sensitivity of control points are welcome additions to an already great product. And DxO generally seems to be pretty conscientious when it comes to the German language versions of its software. With PL5, however, the translations of the selection parameters chroma as Farbsättigung (‘colour saturation’) and luma as Belichtung (‘exposure’) strike me as decidedly odd. Shouldn’t they read Chrominanz or Farbigkeit and Luminanz or Helligkeit, respectively?

Adding to the confusion, DxO does not keep the nomenclature consistent across different applications. Thus, Viveza 3 in the Nik Collection has Farbselektion where PL5 reads Selektion der Maske, and has - at least correctly - Luminanz and Chrominanz where PL5 - incorrectly, as argued above - talks about Farbsättigung and Belichtung.

I’m well aware that this takes nothing away from the functioning of those sliders, but the slight goofiness of the language is so uncharacteristic of DxO that I found it worth pointing out, also because it could be easily fixed in a routine update. As for the inconsistencies across applications, they may amount to little more than a minor irritation, but they could actually grate with language-sensitive users who have integrated various DxO products in their workflow.

Any thoughts (or is it just the pendant in me)?

1 Like

it’s not pedantic. I agree with you. Correct translations and consistent wording is essential for any documentation. BTW I prefer to use the English version in most programs I’m using.

2 Likes

Good luck to getting DxO to use English in their PL product. It’s an option for Nik but not PL, just American

Good morning!
And thank you for the remarks. @StevenL can you, please, analyze this feedback?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

@Madaboutpix
Thanks for your feedback. We will update the German translation.

Steven.

2 Likes

Thanks for picking up on this, @sgospodarenko (Svetlana), even though it may have seemed like a matter of less than stellar urgency. But truly great products have always been both about the big and the small things. Appreciate your care. :+1:

1 Like

Mostly wanted to help because I deeply care about what PL is and can do for us photographers. I want it - and the people who make it - to succeed. Thanks for your dedication, @StevenL (DxO staff). :+1:

1 Like