PL5 Local Adjustments numerical input?

It’s also possible with the Win version, no ?

Unfortunately, putting the mouse pointer over the adjustment and change its setting with the arrow (up/down) keys is not available with the Win version … The “stretched mouse-action” method is available, but it’s clunky and obscure.

John

Rather than simply putting the mouse over the slider, have you tried clicking on the slider then using the arrow keys?

And what is the benefit? If you have to click first, why not using the mouse, since you already landed a bulls-eye on the tiny slider? :thinking:

1 Like

This works on the RHS palette, but not with LA.

see → Return settings adjustments capability to physical U-Points - #60 by Wolfgang
about how it was ‘solved’ in Nik Viveza 2

I agree. The sliders only is unpractical in some cases. Numerical input possbility is a wellcomed alternative. Also, I find it reasonable to be able to move the sliders out of way when they disturb the work.

Like Wolfgang says;

Completely unrelated, but it’s worth noting anyway;
With the Palette sited sliders, a Right-Click on either side of a slider causes it to “jump” by a set increment (typically, by +/-10) in the direction of the click.

John M

My biggest and only serious frustration with DXO is trying to make subtle warmth and tint changes with those sliders. It is mind-mindbogglingly arse-about-face and has remained so through 2 updates. I don’t think I’ll be updating again until that gets fixed.

As I have said before (sorry, John but I can’t stop myself) it is supremely arse-about-face to have the increments start big and change to smaller ones on the drag to the side. Who starts his car in top gear?!! By the time you have the finer control you’re 1000k out and you don’t have enough screen space to drag back to more or less where you were so you can make your 25k adjustment.
I can only guess that the reason the development crew aren’t wise to this is that they use Macs or don’t use this feature (maybe because it’s too frustrating?!)

@JoJu The problem that it is very frustrating to make subtle adjustments to warmth, tint and hue using the mouse on the sliders.

I see. On the Wacom tablet there’s a “precision mode”, after pushing a button on the tablet, I need 5× more way with the pen. So basically a “sort of smart” loupe function would be good?

I just measured the length of the horizontal slider ways on the palettes. They are not longer than the one of the control points. Capture One let me widen the palettes and then the sliders get 3 × longer (and therefore finer) than PL’s. Even if the palette is as small as I can compress it, ist’s still ⅓ longer than PL’s.

1 Like

Even if I put my mouse in sniper mode the warmth slider jumps is about 160k increments. I figure that if they can engineer that thing of pulling out to the side to get finer increments then they could do the more obvious thing of starting instead with finer increments and pulling out for some acceleration.

The Mac version doesn’t have the “sideways precision” feature but we do have the ability to use the up/down arrow keys to increment or decrement, which can be helpful on “short range” sliders.

However, on the Colour Temperature slider, starting at 2000° and clicking up gives increments of 32° to start with, but starting at 50,000° and clicking down gives decrements of 892, 882, 874, 864, etc. So its obviously based on a percentage rather than a set interval.

So, it seems like both Windows and Mac could do with a major rework, but will the avid equaliser fans ever be happy if that rework puts the sliders in the sidebar, where it should be so much easier to cope with precise changes?

Cool, didn’t know that. Much better like this, than using the mouse. :+1:

Just being able to move it around, would be fine.

Completely agree!!

I’ll probably be okay with the sliders in the sidebar if I can control them with my keyboard. I certainly don’t want to be pulling my mouse, and my eyes, all the way over to my second screen for every control point adjustment!

I know that about the Mac users being able to use the keyboard for precise increments. I’m very jealous!

1 Like

Let me change the emphasis of that:
I really would totally hate it if I had to pull my mouse, and my eyes, all the way over to my second screen for every control point adjustment. However, I might very much like it to have the sliders on the side IF I could navigate and adjust them in reasonable increments, using my arrow keys.

As long as it’s clear if I’m in the whole image doing my adjustments or on any of my masks, I would don’t complain. I’m, used to Capture One’s “layers” (actually, they don’t have as many layer modes like PS or AP, but I don’t expect a RAW converter to become a super versatile photo-editor).

C1 has the layers very well visible on top of the exposure palette.