PL5 Local Adjustments numerical input?

Is it possible to change the values in Local Adjustments with numerical input, or via the side panel, like it was in CaptureNX2 and ColorEffectsPro? Those tiny sliders are far to small for my sight and fingers!

BTW, I just upgraded from using CaptureNX2 + NikColorEffectsPro from the day they were released. Pity me.FYI, using PL5 with Monterey 12.0.1

1 Like

Unfortunately, not yet, but there have been rumours that moving the adjustment sliders to the side panel is on the todo list.

4 Likes

Thanks Joanna. I had to ask, as it is so unbelievably odd that it is the way it is. I just decided to also buy the Nik collection, to get better control, even though itā€™s working on tiffs.
Iā€™m blown away that even together PL and Nik today are less functional and more difficult to work with than the CNX2/CEP that Nik built over 10 years ago.

ā€¦put the mouse pointer over the adjustment and change its setting with the arrow (up/down) keys.

3 Likes

As has been discovered in previous discussions, there are two distinct camps. One who would scream blue murder if adjustments were moved from the equaliser to the sidebar; and the other who canā€™t wait to be able to use the sidebar and get the equaliser out of the way.

It has been rumoured that DxO do have plans for moving everything to the sidebar, apart form the selection points, so that a whole load more adjustments that are presently only available globally can be applied locally as well. I, for one, canā€™t wait to see that day.

3 Likes

I use the equalizer now as well as you configured it (according to some of your screenshots). So plenty of sliders, often blocking the sight. Not to mention the rather big markers for single controlpoints. Therefore I try first to prep the mask, is everything I want to alter covered?

After that I would love to see the scaffolding of these extensive constructions and row of sliders go away, become invisible, but still being able to adjust. To me itā€™s better to see what Iā€™m doing in the context of the rest of my image. This context is too often buried under all the controls.

Instead of cluttering the pallets or make it hard to find the adjustments, the mask sliders could move to the left side - Iā€™m usually not keywording and mask-editing at the same time. @CaptureNX2 is right, the sliders are too tiny to be easily adjusted and sometimes not tiny enough because they often cover too much parts of the image.

Also, why are they oriented vertically to slide while every other slider in the panels is strictly horizontally? My dream would be to use the Loupedeck Live midi controler for adjustments and use the mouse to draw masks and set Controlpoints.

1 Like

@platypus thank you. I realise, now you mention it, that the pointer has to stay over that particular slider I want to move.
@Joanna I cant see any reason why I canā€™t be both, as it was 10 years ago, with a check box in the side menu to either collapse or expand the tree hanging off the control point. Best of both worlds.
@JoJu YES, those central point markers are ridiculously huge!

That must be a(nother) Mac-unique feature, P ā€¦ no-can-do on Win.

Thereā€™s an option to make small incremental value adjustments by grabbing the slider and move the mouse far away while sliding it up/down ā€¦ but itā€™s imprecise and not at all obvious.

John M

2 Likes

The most likely alternative will be to temporarily ā€œreplaceā€ the global palettes with dedicated palettes for local adjustments. But we do have to consider that, if more adjustments are made available, itā€™s not going to matter which side they are on, they are still going to add to the visual load.

But then let me ask - has anyone considered the use case where people (like me) use both local and global adjustments at the same time? For example, when adjusting fine contrast globally and balancing that with extra/less sharpening for one particular area? How is that going to work if the local adjustments are in a sidebar? If they are in the same sidebar, it could become confusing, if they are in the other sidebar, it means continually switching attention from one side of the screen to the other.

Itā€™s not a simple question :wink:

I do that in Lightroom with its extra LA palette. Takes some scrolling, which is eased by solo mode (open a palette to close all other palettes, except the one for LA)ā€¦

I do this in Capture One with the layer palette, similar to PLā€™s local adjustments. I donā€™t think there are users working onyl with local adjustments? So basically all PL users are concerned, no?

In comparison (PL to C1) I like to see the mask, but I donā€™t need to see a big equalizer covering too much details, although itā€™s sometimes cool to not travel long distances between mask and level sliders. I have no idea how an interface should be designed to allow both ways. I mean, an interface working with both OSs. Plus, itā€™s a big difference to need to move control points around or to paint/erase a mask. As nice as control points are, they are not the answer to everything.

Itā€™s also possible with the Win version, no ?

Unfortunately, putting the mouse pointer over the adjustment and change its setting with the arrow (up/down) keys is not available with the Win version ā€¦ The ā€œstretched mouse-actionā€ method is available, but itā€™s clunky and obscure.

John

Rather than simply putting the mouse over the slider, have you tried clicking on the slider then using the arrow keys?

And what is the benefit? If you have to click first, why not using the mouse, since you already landed a bulls-eye on the tiny slider? :thinking:

1 Like

This works on the RHS palette, but not with LA.

see ā†’ Return settings adjustments capability to physical U-Points - #60 by Wolfgang
about how it was ā€˜solvedā€™ in Nik Viveza 2

I agree. The sliders only is unpractical in some cases. Numerical input possbility is a wellcomed alternative. Also, I find it reasonable to be able to move the sliders out of way when they disturb the work.

Like Wolfgang says;

Completely unrelated, but itā€™s worth noting anyway;
With the Palette sited sliders, a Right-Click on either side of a slider causes it to ā€œjumpā€ by a set increment (typically, by +/-10) in the direction of the click.

John M

My biggest and only serious frustration with DXO is trying to make subtle warmth and tint changes with those sliders. It is mind-mindbogglingly arse-about-face and has remained so through 2 updates. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be updating again until that gets fixed.