PL5 - keyword source

I am trying PL5’s keyword panel.

I have never added or removed any keywords to the image. When I turned the panel ON, there were many keywords that do not make sense - none had anything to do with the photo or the folder. It even included the web address of some other photographer that I have never heard of.

Where did this come from; how do I delete it; and how to prevent it?

Allan

If there are any images in the folder tree that contain keywords, they will be added to the database automatically.

Th only thing you can do to prevent this is to use something like ExifTool to remove all keywords from all images in your entire hierarchy.

Thank you for your answer, Joanna.

To me, this is an extremely negative feature - the software looking about your computer and deciding what to add to your photos.

Is this crap added to the photo automatically or only if you turn on keywords?

This is definitely a feature that I do not want.

Allan

PL5 isn’t adding anything. It is just finding and showing keywords already in your files. Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Hi Joanna

Here is what I see on the Keyword palette

There are only 4 photos in that folder. If PL5 is looking elsewhere for info, then this is something that I do not like. I also find it interesting that, so far, DXO has not responded to my question.

Allan

What PL is doing is indexing your files from whichever is the topmost folder at the time you select such a folder in the tree view.

Somewhere, either in a folder you have previously browsed, or one of its subfolders, you have got images that contain the keywords you see listed. That includes 24 pictures that have been tagged with “Photos from Huiwei P20”.

The list you see is global and not restricted to the folder you are currently browsing. If there is nothing in the Keywords field at the top, then nothing has been added to the file you have currently selected.

The idea is that PL is attempting to build up a list of keywords that you have already used in order to make it easier to select one of them when you want to add it to another image instead of having to type it in every time, with the risk of spelling it differently.