PL4 requires manual focus distance entry while PL3 didn't

Hello,

It was’nt.
We have some improvement to do about new lens support and updates. I’ll discuss that with Captain PO.

Focusing distance is in ‘Focus Distance 2’ entry (which is a calculation, not a real tag) but we don’t use it for now on this camera.
When we will use it we will announce it.

Infinity is usually something after 3m or 5m in photography. Years ago max focus value in Exif was recorded as 40m then 128m. So these values can still be used for lenses supported years ago. For Sony you have to know that FocusDistance2 is not a value recorded by the camera/lens in Exif but a calculation done by ExifTool. We do it to but so for high values accuracy is not perfect but it doesn’t have any influence as I said, after 5m it’s like infinity.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Thanks Marie. This is an interesting thread, I’m learning things here :slight_smile: For now I’m happy with the replies, as I am assured that PL4 will do a better job correcting the 24-105 provided a sound focus distance is manually entered.

Piping the output of exiftool through “grep ocus” I find “Focus step near” and Focus step count", possibly the program tries to calculate the distance from these data but gets it dramatically wrong (128.00m for a closeup macro shot with my Lumix GX9 and the Leica DG Elmarit 45mm, with focus step near =0, focus step count = 34 as an example).
Anyway, what I would really like to know: Will this wrong focus distance actually deliver bad corrections, i.e., do I have to look at the photo, try to guess the distance at which it was shot and correct the value in order to get optimal results?

Thank you, again, Marie … 'tis excellent to get this info straight from the expert … :+1:

John

In PL5 I always get the focusing distance palette active, with any camera and any lens, whether they are in the dxo database or not. Is it because I focus in manual mode with the assistance of the rear AF-L button? I use several Fuji, but with Canon I did it the same way.
Anyway I don’t understand its usefulness. I only see that it changes the framing a little bit…

The correct focus distance determines the proper application of the lens distortion correction parameters. If it is not present in the EXIF, it must be entered manually.

As far as I know the lens distortion depends on the focal lenght. It is true that macro lenses change a little bit the focal lenght when one focus very close, but I guess I would say that it is virtually irrelevant with the vast majority of lenses. Am I wrong?

I am have s Sony a6000 and a64000 with most lenses not working. There is a big effect on ones like the 70-350. I also have found some majer changes with a Sony 90mm macro.I had raised this today on some Sony fourms and that the A range is not fully supported in PLs going down well!

Added

Some time ago focusing distance was removed from many Sony a lenses. Back in 2020 Marie said this will be raised with Captain PO is there any progress. I ask as with my 90mm macro the distance makes a lot of difference on the image and with a day’s work it’s a pain having to work out what distance to change a lot of images. To make it worse we learnt there wasn’t a problem in the Mac version of PL.

The result of this appears that new E modules are need on Version 3 of the program that removes the automatic distance correction in that version (and probably earlier ones as well). My wife’s very occasionally used V3 now needs to download all the existing Sony E lenses modules which remove the automatic distance correction which was present on the old ones, thank for progress!