PL4 Moving day, from iMac to a Mac mini

The usual problem: the product has been discontinued and the manufacturer doesn’t supply any 64 bit control software. There’s no easy replacement, so I’ll have to live with this. No real problem though.

Ralf

I have an interesting question that shows up perfectly on this image. What, if anything, do we do when a “real” part of the image appears to be an editing mistake?

After adjustments, I wanted the line of trees and shrubs to be around 1/3 up in the final image. I did bring out the clouds a little (very little) but the uniform dark area at the top of the photo looks like poor photoshop editing.

I can always cut off the top of the image, meaning I should cut off some at the bottom as well.

Or, I could edit that top part of the image, to make it lighter, but that bothers me, as I know I’m making a “fake sky”.

What would you suggest?

By the way, my sensor doesn’t need cleaning what looked like dirt to me turned out to be a large bird. Which in itself is a problem, as anybody who is likely to look at this image is likely going to assume that the sensor was dirty. :slight_smile:

Focus was on the speedboat near the front, and the timing was to catch the boat just before (not after!) the center of the image, using the other boats as “book ends”. That the other speedboat was doing the same thing in the background, was just a bonus.

By the way, the building with what looks like a large X on the front is a rather famous building 'One Thousand Museum", built with an “exoskeleton”.
(One Thousand Museum - Wikipedia)

…oh, and I’m real curious how all of you would “see” this photo. Feel free to give it your own thoughts and ideas.

L1002485 | 2021-02-17-dog and boats.dng (28.7 MB)

L1002485 | 2021-02-17-dog and boats.dng.dop (17.2 KB)

It is a conundrum. You can either fix the sky, leave it alone, or crop it. Which approach you decide on is really up to you. My personal opinion is the shot is not interesting enough to spend any significant time trying to fix it.

Mark .

Of the nine or so photos I didn’t delete, this was the only only one left that I hadn’t worked on, meaning I agree with you. I remember what I thought as I took it, but it’s too “spread out”, and there is nothing really interesting/exciting going on. Just the same, I spent what seemed like “forever” working on it, for two other reasons - first, to get more familiar with PL4, and second, so nobody in the forum points out mistakes. I guess I treat it like practice.

As to the sky, I guess I will crop it. If I don’t, people will be throwing (digital) rotten eggs at me for being so sloppy with photoshop.