PL4 computer specs compared to PL3?

I have found the PL4 release notes and see some changes compared to PL3

Copied here
Windows System requirements
• Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™ recommended)
• 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
• 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
• Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft®), Windows® 10 version 2004 or later recommended
• DirectX® 10-capable system
• OpenCL™ 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL™ acceleration
• NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME

Now, my i5 760 quad core 16GB RAM and the nVidia GTX 1050Ti has been fine with PL3 and indeed GPU intensive Topaz software so hopefully the GTX 1050Ti will be up to the task of working with DeeepPRIME???

I have W10 64 bit Pro v2004 fully up to date :slight_smile:

PS hopefully DxO will provide the link soon for the pdf of v4 user manual :+1:

I have an older i7 6700, an SDD drive, 24 GB of RAM and a GTX 1050Ti graphics card. I upgraded my card two months ago from a GTX 745 card which was not supported by Deep PRIME.

Prior to upgrading my card, Deep PRIME only used the CPU on my machine and the average processing time was between 68 and 75 seconds for a single 20 mp image depending on the number and type of additional edits performed.

With the GTX 1050ti installed the processing time for those same images, using the card’s GPU along with the CPU, averaged around 18 - 24 seconds, or a bit more than three times faster than previously. Obviously a higher spec’d graphics card will give even better results than the 1050ti, but your card’s GPU will work with Deep PRIME. Exporting multiple images is even faster because there is processing overhead which adds more time when you are exporting each image separately, When I exported 20 images in a batch the average time was around 4 seconds faster per image. .

PRIME still does not take advantage of a card’s GPU so that those of us who have supported cards will find that Deep PRIME processes much faster then PRIME. In my case PRIME takes around 30-35 seconds to process a single image and averages around 10 seconds slower. than Deep PRIME .

Mark

3 Likes

I have quad core i5 (4th Gen), a GT 760 graphics card, 256 GB ssd and 32GBs Ram and have had not problems so far using any of the new features. If anything the new DeepPrime is slightly faster that the original Prime. My machine must be at least 6 years old now (and yes, due an upgrade when money permits)

Couple of caveats though.
I do not sort images nor make use of tagging or catalogues etc (I use Fast Raw Viewer) as this was appallingly slow in PL3.
I don’t batch process (no real need for me personally)
I have a lot of background Windows crap turned off by default and have few applications that are allowed to run ANYTHING in the background at Start Up or later without my permission.

So my experience is, if you are using it for single images and don’t need the catalogue tagging etc, then PL 4 works just as well as PL3 on an older machine

1 Like

So here we have someone saying the GTX 745 does not support deepprime and someone else saying deepprime runs faster than PL3 prime with a GT 760.

Perhaps we could have a list of GPUs which are/aren’t supported for deepprime or a clue about what GPU capability is required by deepprime? What about the GTX 900 series for example.

We don’t have all GPUs to give an exhaustive list of tested hardware. There are recommended GPUs for fast results (as seen in first post above) and GPUs that are just compatible. GTX 900 is among the compatible but not recommended ones.

If you see that your GPU is not used when using DeepPRIME, you may want to check Preferences > Advanced > DeepPRIME acceleration and select your GPU there, after reading the related notes.

1 Like

Does deepprime use microsoft machine learning (DirectML) and so require windows 10 1903 or later?

Yes.

No, DeepPRIME supports back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 version 1809. However GPU acceleration is not available on Windows 8.1.

1 Like

If GPU acceleration requires DirectML is isn’t available in Windows 10 1809 either.

We rely on this:

@BoxBrownie

This might help:

Many thanks one & all for the replies and PC spec PL4 usage insights :slight_smile:

I have downloaded but yet to install PL4 and as per @shadowsports post in the email there was a link to the online manual…plus the clickable link to create a pdf version (as per the PL3 online guide before it)

PS for what its worth? my CPU is a First Gen i5 and the only one of that type at the time that was Quad Core. I picked it as ‘best bang for buck’ back then when I built it :wink:

Since folks are discussing GPU compatibility and performance, I’ll just weigh in here to report that my 2013 Mac Pro exported the same image with DeepPRIME in almost exactly the same time with preferences set to Auto, CPU and GPU. Also, DeepPRIME took 40% longer than PRIME. Hardware is 8-core 3.3GHz, 64GB RAM, 1TB upgraded (faster than stock) SSD, dual FirePro D500 GPUs.

If DeepPRIME took longer to process than PRIME on your machine then it is very unlikely it was able to process using your graphics card’s GPU.

Mark

1 Like

DeepPRIME takes 1.6x-2.3x longer than PRIME on my 2013 Mac Pro. And yes, I can select my FirePro D500 GPU, which is roughly 4x faster than my 8-core 3.3GHz CPU, for DeepPRIME.

So why are you using DPL if it has so many bugs supposedly?

1 Like

I am running DPL on a Mac and not on Windows like you but on my side DPL is running very smoothly.

1 Like

Hi Greg, what are the bugs you have in mind ?

Hi

Have you see the thread with GPU benchmark on this forum ? You will see the GTX 1050 ti there in the shared spreadsheet

Dear @Lucas,

I’ve tried to find an passive cooled GPU from the series NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 but wasn’t successful.
I’v found a webpage https://graphicscardhub.com/best-passively-cooled-graphics-card/ with some recommendations but not sure if one of them will be used by deep prime.
Can you tell for what specs I have to look to choose the right one.
My system is absolut noiseless and using it for the next time I would like to have more horsepower but without noise.

thanks a lot

Guenter

You can find some test results by forum users ín a table in following thread.