PL4 and nVidia drivers update

You are right, exporting multiple images is faster. I wrote 10 seconds for one image because a batch of 3 took 32 seconds. A single image takes about 13-14 seconds, it’s hard to take a precise measure because DPL waits some seconds before starting.

I don’t see any Topaz AI apps listed, so either you don’t have any or GTX cards don’t receive GeForce optimizations. Can you (or anyone with a Topaz/GTX combo) clarify this point please?

Yes, that’s my usual inclination too, Laurence … but, when I saw @ho72’s note, I thought I’d give it a try. Also, I installed the “Studio” version of the NVIDIA driver (rather than the “Game Ready” version), which seems to be a bit smaller (by ~4 GB).

John

That’s 'cos I don’t have any Topaz apps installed (Unnecessary/redundant, since I have PL).

John

John,

I have a license for Topaz Denoise AI 3 which I use for jpeg or tiff files when I don’t have access to the original raw version. I use it very rarely though.

Mark.

I use Topaz Denoise, Gigapixel and Sharpen on my scanned film negative files. All three are supported in the new Geforce Experience driver package. They seem to be sped up a little bit with the new driver.

I know you edit a number of scans of your older images. Those three Topaz products must come in handy for that purpose.

Besides owning a licence to Topaz Denoise AI to use with non-raw image files, I played with the trial of Sharpen AI around a year or so ago. While I saw no advantage to it over Photolab’s sharpening tools for the overwhelming majority of images during my testing, It did excel on very soft images. It even made some out of focus images salvageable. I decided not to purchase it simply because I could not reconcile the cost since I would rarely use it.

Mark

Yes, and it’s quite surprising how many of my old negatives are soft. Either I’ve gotten spoiled by today’s multi-megapixel sensors, My manual focusing was not that good, or my old lenses were not as sharp as I thought. Some are soft due to my use of a soft-focus filter that I loved at the time. I don’t remember which photos I used it on though.

At any rate, you should probably give Sharpen a new trial. I’ve had a license since last summer and they’ve made vast improvements during this period of time. New models to handle more situations and a new processing engine that is markedly faster. And yes you are right in that you can make a salvageable photo out of one that was ruined by motion blur or even downright missed focus.

No it is all artificial. GeForce Experience is a terrible piece of software that installs a bunch of Nvidia spyware.

What it does is write the optimal settings to the configuration files of your applications. You can do the exact same yourself in the preferences of each application which you need to check/set anyway.

I strongly advise to use stand alone driver, perhaps even the one Windows Update automatically installs since it is tested through and through by Nvidia AND Microsoft.