PL4.3.3 - Shutterspeed and Exposure compensation wrong on some exports

Hi,
with PL4.3.3 (I have checked some older photos too and it also happened with PL4.3.1, I did find in total 150 affected photos in my DB, all of them with PL4.3.1 and PL4.3.3 - none with other versions of PL. I 'm using DXO since OpticsPro 11. So my guess is that it was introduced with PL4.3.1):

On some exports (e.g. one folder 13 out of 251 files) DXO PL4.3.3 exports the Shutterspeed = 1sec (though it is something like 1/60sec, 1/500sec,…) and the Exposure compensation changes e.g. +0.3 → +3; +0.7 → +7

Until now I cannot reproduce it, but still this happens from time to time.

RAW:
Screenshot 2021-11-08 123420

JPG after export:
Screenshot 2021-11-08 124605

This seems not to be related to DXO → it looks like it is written correctly by DXO, but then updated by an external tool during import with those values.

Good morning!

• Have you tried to check the values in ExifTool for example, directly after the export?
  • Do you know which of your external applications affects these values?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Yes, and here they look OK → that’s why I updated the post that I think it is not related to DXO.

I import the photos with iMatch 2021.10.2 which handles all metadata reading/writing with Exiftool 12.31.
I have now checked my whole DB and I have seen these wrong “1sec” exposures only for images edited with DXO PL4.3.1/PL4.3.3 and imported with Exiftool 12.31 (comes with iMatch 2021.10.2). First I thought it is DXP PL related because I first recognized it after upgrading to PL4.3.3 (and there are also some Metadata issues with PL5: timezone, keywords). The exposure was on “1sec” right after import, but I have now learned that in my case (imported JPGs are “buddy files” of the RAW files because of same name → some metadata is synced) iMatch is already doing a metadata writeback during import.
At the moment my guess is that it’s either iMatch passing wrong values to exiftool or exiftool writing wrong values…

Hi Svetlana,

I need to correct myself. The data written by DXO is wrong. I also had a bug report open at iMatch support. While the ExifIFD:ExposureTime parameter in the JPG created by DXO is written correctly, the XMP-exif:ExposureTime is set to 1sec by DXO PL 4.3.3 during export.

"D:\exiftool-12.33\exiftool.exe" -X  PB011303_DXO_directExport.jpg |findstr -i ExposureTime
 <ExifIFD:ExposureTime>1/160</ExifIFD:ExposureTime>
 <XMP-exif:ExposureTime>1</XMP-exif:ExposureTime>

I first saw this on images exported with PL4.3.1, so my guess is that the bug was introduced with that version.

Update: this is also a Bug in PL5.0:

"D:\exiftool-12.33\exiftool.exe" -X  PB011303_DXO_PL5.jpg |findstr -i ExposureTime
 <ExifIFD:ExposureTime>1/160</ExifIFD:ExposureTime>

Hi @sgospodarenko ,

This bug was introduced in PL4.3.0. I had uninstalled PL4.3.3. and starting from PL4.0 I upgraded and exported the RAW with the different versions:

PL 4.0 - OK: Exif matches XMP in exported JPG:

"D:\exiftool-12.33\exiftool.exe" -X  PA300606_DXO_PL40.jpg |findstr -i "ExposureTime ExposureCompensation"
 <ExifIFD:ExposureTime>1/200</ExifIFD:ExposureTime>
 <ExifIFD:ExposureCompensation>+0.3</ExifIFD:ExposureCompensation>
 <XMP-exif:ExposureCompensation>+0.3</XMP-exif:ExposureCompensation>
 <XMP-exif:ExposureTime>1/200</XMP-exif:ExposureTime>

PL 4.1 - OK: Exif matches XMP in exported JPG:

"D:\exiftool-12.33\exiftool.exe" -X  PA300606_DXO_PL41.jpg |findstr -i "ExposureTime ExposureCompensation"

PL 4.2 - OK: Exif matches XMP in exported JPG:

"D:\exiftool-12.33\exiftool.exe" -X  PA300606_DXO_PL42.jpg |findstr -i "ExposureTime ExposureCompensation"

PL 4.3 - BUG: XMP Values are wrong on JPG export:

"D:\exiftool-12.33\exiftool.exe" -X  PA300606_DXO_PL43.jpg |findstr -i "ExposureTime ExposureCompensation"
 <XMP-exif:ExposureCompensation>+3</XMP-exif:ExposureCompensation>

Hello, may we have the original image PA300606 (.ORF?) to do all the tests?

Hi Arthur,

I have uploaded the files (PA300606.ORF, PA300606.ORF.dop, PA300606.xmp) in a ZIP file to upload.dxo.com.
Starting with PL 4.3.0 you should see that XMP-exif:ExposureCompensation and XMP-exif:ExposureTime are wrong after export to JPG.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Investigating…

Sebastian, and maybe, it’s possible to upload also those PA300606_DXO_PL41.jpg, PA300606_DXO_PL42.jpg and PA300606_DXO_PL43.jpg? Thanks in advance.

Hi Arthur,

I’ve now also uploaded a zip file containing the jpgs created with the different versions of PL.

One comment: in case you are checking the metadata with exiftool, you need to specify the “-X” parameter. With default settings, exiftool won’t display the XMP data.

E.g. for those files:

exiftool.exe -X PA300606_DXO_PL*.jpg |findstr -i "filename ExposureTime ExposureCompensation"

One more comment:
When you read the jpgs created by PL4.3+ in PL right after export: here PL will show the correct exposure time / compensation (seems to be using the EXIF tags).
The screenshot in the very first post is after it was imported into iMatch (uses exiftool to read/write metadata): here the XMP Tags are superior to EXIF → wrong exposure time / compensation also in EXIF after metadata writeback (that’s why I posted afterwards I think the wrong values are created by iMatch).
But the bug is in PL4.3+ where XMP exposure time / compensation is written with wrong / cutoff values (on some images/not all).

FYI: Bug is still there with PL 5.1.2:

exiftool.exe -X PA300606_DXO_PL512.jpg |findstr -i "filename ExposureTime ExposureCompensation"
 <System:FileName>PA300606_DXO_PL512.jpg</System:FileName>

@artmax please, have a look :point_up_2:

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Sebastian, sorry for such a long silence. Thank you very much for the patience and your help. Yes, you did help to find a bug. We have reproduced it and found the reason of it. Soon, we are going to start fixing it and fortunately, it’s easy to do. So, I hope to let you know soon what version it will be fixed in.

1 Like

Thanks Arthur,
when you work on the Exif/XMP tags you could also cross-check the this Bug: PL5 - wrong TimeZone on export
In my case DXO (starting version 5.0) is always writing “OffsetTimeOriginal” = +00:00 instead of using the correct timezone (like +01:00 or +02:00). The Tag “OffsetTime” is written correctly. I guess/hope this is also something that can easily be fixed.

@abgestumpft - Thank you for bringing this up again.

Hi,
this bug is still there in PL5.1.4.

<System:FileName>PA300606_DXO_PL514.jpg</System:FileName>

Yes, it’s not fixed yet.

Regards,
Svetlana G.