PL3: HSL questions

That’s what i was trying to say…:slight_smile:
Feathering is about transitions on the edge of the selected hue and uniformity about the transitions inside the selected hue.

1 Like

Hi Robin - firstly, thank you very much for the video - it really helped me!

Just a comment on the eraser for adjusting masks/adjustments made - if you hold down the option key on a Mac, the eraser automatically appears. It’s just a simpler, quicker way to get the same outcome when you need to erase parts of adjustments when required.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hello,
I wanna play around in a color chart like the tiff file used in the video of PhotoJosef - anyone has a tiff like that.

Thanks
Sigi

With HSL, is there a way to paint an area to be affected rather than the system pick up the area?

Thank you,

Mike

The HSL tool can not be used with local adjustments (masks) now.

Somehow, I have the feeling that using HSL in a selection would somehow be a contradiction in terms in the scope of a raw developer…

A contradiction like already existing local adjustments of white balance, tint or hue?

Assume that a photograph has three dimensions: height, width and colour (even if reduced to b/w)
Assume that a raw developer (or the person handling the tool) can change each of the dimensions
Assume that there is a (line) between operations that increase or reduce the message of a photograph and operations that add to the message. While former operations move within the photograph’s dimensions, the latter operations can add dimensions thus creating something that does exist only in the image. and is therefore out of scope.

About (line)
The (line) is not actually a line but a more or less wide zone. This is where discussions start. The zone should be narrow if you want to convey facts, it can be wider or nonexistent in the context of art. Photographic tools can be used to convey facts, create art or distort reality also in such ways as to create a lie.

Creating a blue sky where there was none is art at best. We must therefore tread carefully on the photographic path between the cliff of art and the abyss of lies - or openly communicate what we do.

1 Like

Since you mention height, width and message: The message of a photograph can be altered by cropping. And that can happen while taking the picture or in post-processing.

I didn’t study art, so I don’t really know what I’m talking about. Anyways, from a technical point of view local HSL adjustments make a lot of sense. And in the webinars that I watched it was asked for multiple times.

HSL adjustments are always local on the colour axis, adding a restriction in applying HSL changes to selectable areas enhances the toolset for more artistic interpretations and that’s perfectly okay. Take the tone curve: you can do all kinds of things with it…

Would it be enough to have a “protective brush”?
So you can selectively undo the HSL channel changes on part’s you didn’t want to change but is in the selection of the color hue of the hsl channel?

By using the desaturation technique for fine selection color hue in the channel it’s allready very local/selective. Only further use i could see as function is with controlpoints.
This is also color steered, the color inside the pupil is steering the selection in the mask of the influence ring around.
So basicly it has more or les the same selection procesure.
As in addition you could have a single channel colorwheel instead of The hue slider which act a bit like it now.

Just a idea. :slight_smile: