PL 5.1.1 50 Wording and Localisation for Sidecars

PL 5.1.1 improves wording…at least kind of…

English

…technically, this is not true with RAW (and even JPEG and TIFF, is we want to split hairs)

German Localisation

…better than previously…but I’d still propose to use “Lesen” and “Schreiben”.

We could also use “Import” and “Export” in both cases (settings and metadata respectively) but using different words helps to differentiate the types of information that are concerned.

In the Windows-version it’s translated different:
DxOMeta

I think I can agree with your suggestion of “Lesen” and “Schreiben” for both versions.

Einlesen and Festschreiben were used before PL 5.1.1 on Mac, while this wording is still used in PL 5.1.1 on Win… I hope that DxO is going for a) a decent translation office and b) closer matching of its Mac and Win products. This could possibly save some development effort. Curiously enough, wording in older versions of PhotoLab and OpticsPro before that never looked that strange…

I’m not happy with any of these translations. “Einsortieren” for instance means “sort in” or longer “sort into something”. One command is “read from” and the other “write to”, so there’s a direction in which the metadata will be going. A direction with out a target or source location is a bit pointless. And “Einlesen” doesn’t specify the direction - from which file into which other file?

Why not “in Datenbank schreiben” and “in Datei schreiben”? Ah, I see, the Metadata doesn’t go into the image file but either into a DOP or XML file. Pity, if an app needs so many extra files… :woozy_face:

Oh, no, how do I close this can of worms? I think I tried the first time to do something with keywords in PL5. My goodness…

“einfügen”, “einlesen”… I sort of miss “eindeutig übersetzen”, but that’s just me. Next one is also a big entertainment (I read parts of the manual the last two days and I’m really relieved I’m not the only one struggling to write manuals for software):

Anybody else getting hungry? Ich werde mir jetzt was zu essen reintun. :yum:

…documentation and menu entries follow similar rules

• use the right words
  • use as many words as it takes to make things clear
  • do not add too much information, unless its purpose is made clear

Creative wording might be interesting in the context of a novel or maybe even in a user manual, but its counter-productive in menus: We have been trained, over time and use, to understand standardized words/wording.

Well, I’m in the more than comfy situation to not only writing the manuals, but also being the guy managing the text database and adding graphical illustrations of parameters and doing some icons. So, I learnt that users and developers have different needs in wording.

For users, you need to add “consistency”. And also some special grammar - actions the user needs to do should always follow the same scheme. As little interpretation as possible. And

is a bit too simple: Here in the forum are people working for decades with databases and developing software for various purposes. What they learnt is not necessarily the same of what new users need to learn. So, the stuff I learnt is in parts similar to what you learnt, but if we would need an agreement about the non-similar parts of our knowledge we had to talk first.

Also, seeing the differences between Windows and Mac OS versions and also the differences between UI commands in the manual and the ones I see on my screen (and sometimes also on the screenshots in the manuals) I’d be tempted to leave a couple of sarcastic comments about translation skills, but I really know how hard it can be to work with developers.

In our database there are language columns. One is “developer German”, another is “German”. :wink: And there is a reason why developers are not allowed to alter “German” texts. And more: The database is not only the source fo the software UI commands, parameters and error messages - this database also feeds the authoring system I’m writing with. So I’m less depending on the quality of translations: A badly or confusing translation will not be correct in the manual and bad in the UI. Better use the same and hope the explanation is more to the point.

Just installed build 50 and am now getting “Read from image” and “Write to image” in English but “Lire” and “Écrire dans l’image” in French. So, even those are inconsistent.

I agree that both these should be the localised equivalent of simply “Read” and “Write”