PL 4 + Topaz Sharpen AI questions

I process my Nikon RAW (NEF) files in PL 4 using a custom preset that incorporates DeepPrime. I then export to application (Sharpen AI) as a DNG with all corrections applied. A DNG is created and opens in Sharpen AI, is processed using the auto setup and the corrections applied on export. The software then takes me back to PL 4 where the DNG file appears in the film strip next to the original NEF file. However, when I select the DNG thumbnail nothing shows in the correction window and I cannnot get the file to open other than in Photoshop.
Questions:

1. Is DeepPrime applied to the DNG on export to application?
  2. Are the Sharpen AI corrections applied to the NEF file in PL 4?
  3. Why can I not open the DNG file in PL 4?
  4. Would I be better exporting to application in some other format?

1. Is DeepPrime applied to the DNG on export to application?
Yes, if you use DeepPRIME on a raw file in PhotoLab 4 and select one of the DNG output options in the export window it will be applied. …

2. Are the Sharpen AI corrections applied to the NEF file in PL 4?
No. Sharpen AI does not apply anything directly to your NEF files. Raw files are never updated with edits from post processing software except in a few specific instances when certain proprietary software is used. Example: Canon’s DPP program can make changes directly to Canon’s raw files.

3. Why can I not open the DNG file in PL 4?
Because PhotoLab does not read DNG files created by Sharpen AI. The same thing happens if I open a DNG in Denoise AI and export it to a new DNG file. Not all DNG files are readable by PhotoLab .

This is a link to DNG support in PhotoLab 4:

4. Would I be better exporting to application in some other format?
If you process a DNG file in Sharpen AI and export it to a TIFF file, the TIFF should open in with no problems in PhotoLab

Mark.

2 Likes

Many thanks Mark for a very comprehensive answer. I now feel good knowing that I’m not screwing up. :grinning:

1 Like

No problem. I am curious why you feel the need to use Sharpen AI for images processed in PhotoLab 4. Do the Lens Sharpness, Unsharp Mask, and Micro Contrast tools in PhotoLab not work well enough for you? I tested Sharpness AI and found it excelled for images that are soft, slightly out of focus, or even a little blurry. However, for reasonably well focused images I found that most post processing software I compared it to did an equally good job. .

Mark

1 Like

I don’t use it as a general sharpening tool, I find PL 4 more than adequate. As you say though, it does a good job on some soft or out of focus shots.

I’ve been trying your suggestion of using TIFF files and it works very well as you know. It has exposed another problem on my system (Wi 10 Pro). When I export the TIFF from Sharpen AI back into PL 4 it does not appear in the film strip or the library module. The only way I can find it is to exit PL 4 and re start. The TIFF file then appears as normal. This did not happen when using DNG files and, for the first few TIFF files it worked fine. Any ideas?

Ivan

1 Like

I can’s say for certain. On a few occasions I’ve seen something similar where PhotoLab doesn’t automatically refresh the image browser. I’ve never spent any time researching the conditions that might cause this. When this occurs, rather then restarting PhotoLab, have you tried going to the PhotoLibrary, changing the folder, and then going back to the original folder again?

Mark

I’ve tried that with no success, going to keep trying other options. I will find a fix sooner or later. Now, where did I put that hammer?

Good morning,

You can also try a Refresh button:

DxO.PhotoLab_0olf9ida51

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

I totally forgot about that!

Mark

Thank you both, that works :grinning:

1 Like

Well, it did work a couple of times then it started freezing and showing error messages 583ED12A-38F2-4771-B2FD-A89A1E082EAC I sent this message off and PL 4 would then shut down. It’s getting frustrating :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why not sharpen in DXO PL? Is it not good enough? If DXO does not cut it, the DXO Team has to, sharpen up :laughing: Deep Prime seems to be the hottest around when it comes to noise. I guess DXO would like their sharpening to be the same :star_struck:

I wonder about the same :thinking:

I guess the question was already answered… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m still experiencing this problem. I’ve contacted support and got an acknowledgement but no solution yet.