PL 3 updating sidecar files before you have a chance to stop it

Yep, true to all. And yes, you can’t ask to reset the older version activation counter.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Of course I can ask to reset the counter. :slight_smile: The problem is that support says they can’t (or won’t) do it for a version I’m no longer licensed to run.

Maybe one can get lucky and reach an unusually compliant support person, but there are no guarantees once you’ve lost the license for the old version.

Sorry, it’s misprint from my side. Should be read as “can’t”.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Thanks, then it’s clear.

1 Like

Svetlana:
What I need to know and cannot seem to get a clear answer about (in another thread I started 4 days ago) is this: I plan to keep PL2 (with Nik) on my current Win 7 computer. It will be main photo editing computer and kept offline soon.

If I buy the PL3 upgrade, can I put that version only on my Win 10 computer. I do not plan to put PL2 on the Win 10 computer.

One version, one activation on each computer.

And–does the upgrade to PL3 include NIK? Hope my questions are clear.

Thanks.

Hello Nikki,

• Yes, it’s ok.
  • Sure you can. You can install and activate PL3 only on Win10 as you wish and I see no problem here.
  • Well, if you do not have NIK installed on your Win10 installation of PL3 will not install it on your PC automatically. Ypou should install NIK, then PL3 and NIK will be supported by PL3 with no problem.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Not to flog a horse that’s probably well and truly dead already, but … :slight_smile:

… my only sticking point with this is that I lose the ability to move PL2 to another computer once I’ve purchased a PL3 upgrade and already have three PL2 activations. I can move PL3 as much as I want/need, but PL2 is restricted to existing installations.

Not that I particularly want to continue using PL2 at all if/when I buy PL3, but I dislike not being able to reinstall both PL2 and PL3 on a new computer in case of failure with DxO’s upgrade model. I do sometimes restore disk images instead of reinstall, and that may well circumvent the need for any new activation, but I’m really at the mercy of DxO as to whether or not I can keep the old version running.

Thanks. I have Nik Collection 2 that came with PL2. I do seem to remember that there were 2 install exe files so I guess that means I would install the Nik.exe first and then the PL3 update on the Win 10 computer. Does that sound correct? Or maybe the other way arpund makes more sense.
(Still have not had time to even get the Win 10 customized–having a small SSD drive is making everything very complicated due to default appdata file storage. Sigh.)

Hello,

• Well, if you install your NIK2 along with PL2 (as far as I remember NIK provided you with PL2 license) you can then upgrade to PL3 which will still support NIK Collection.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like