Pink parts of images

I am evaluating PureRAW at the moment and its quite an impressive piece of software removing and sharpening of my shots that have been taken at quite a high ISO.

Some of my images, especially some at night where there is a bright light involved will show as pink when opening the DNG file in Affinity Photo for developing. Affinity will detect these as clipped, but in PureRAW itself and windows underneath the images look OK.

I see this issue has been raised before but I can’t see whether there was an actual fix or not, while pureraw is great it seems to be introducing another issue to then have to correct. OK some of my shots may be a little challenging and may not be exposed quite correctly but I wouldn’t expect this ?.

Anyone have any suggestions ?.

Geoff…. I, too, use both PureRaw and Affinity Photo. I rarely, if ever, use AP’s raw developer, opting instead to use Capture One (which I find to be a far better raw developer). However, I would suggest you try a couple of things. Based on what you’re saying, it sounds like this might be a color profile issue in Affinity Photo. Or, it might have to do with AP’s develop persona itself.

First, try opening the .dng file produced by PureRaw in a different raw developer. Does it have those same pink areas? If not, you can concentrate on Affinity Photo as the source of the problem. If the pink is still there (when using another application) then it’s not an Affinity issue, and I can’t be of help.

What color profile do your raw files open up into when you bring them into AP? Try setting this to sRGB and see if the pink remains.

If you’re on a Mac, try changing the raw engine in Affinity from the Serif version to the Apple version, or vice versa. Also try opening the dng in Affinity’s develop persona without applying a tone curve. (Both of these settings are inside the Assistant, on the Toolbar.)

Finally, is your camera supported by Affinity’s raw engine? Less likely to be the problem, but check nonetheless.

1 Like

Thanks Smadell for the reply and suggestions, I am trying to sort out a decent workflow, and I will have a look at Capture One, which from a quick browse also seems to a be good library management and catalogue tool.

I am 100% running sRGB all the way through, having also recently sorted out colour calibrating my display so I know what I am working with.

I not a MAC user so don’t have any choice in the RAW engine in AP.

My main camera is a Canon 6DMKII.

I did try not applyinig a tone curve in AP, obvisuly the image was very flat then but I am sure the problem was still there, cant quite remember now.

Great pointers and I will have a look and report back.

Many thanks.

Instead of having a hybrid workflow with Affinity, why not use PhotoLab 5, which contains the same DeepPRIME NR as PureRAW but is a RAW converter and editor with end-to-end functionality. The only thing PhotoLab can’t do yet is stitch or stack images.

I tried Photolab as a trial, it had its advantages and disadvantages. For me I was looking for something as a management tool as well. I have been using Digikam which is really good for free but needed to move on. Settled on Capture 1 for that aspect which I got for a really good price plus it is capable of some really good output used properly. Photolab worked for keeping the workflow neat and tidy though - need one perfect solution with all the best bits rolled into one, that would be different for everyone though !.

I posted this months ago still no fix!

1 Like

Hi all,
I came to this forum for the same “pink” issue.
I developed some RAW files mad with Olympus Ep7 and then transferred to Luminar AI and Luminar Neo; on both that software I found the issue you described.
Tip: I opened the same file with Snip& Sketch (that is the default snipper in Windows 10) and the pink spots are not shown, so I suspect there is a bug in the common library used to open the DNG files.

I just wanted to update this old and long thread. Converted ZF nef file in Pure Raw 3 and Adobe DNG Converter. Highlights overexposed. Then opened both in Capture One. DXO version highlights were pink and Adobe version not. That’s unfortunate.

1 Like

DxO posted in another thread that they are going to apparently fix this issue in a future update.

( In PL6.15.0 Build 359 and PL7.5.0 Build 176 it is solved – also checked the DNG files in AP 2 ).