Photolab together with Nik Collection?

Could you please clarify how Photolab and the new Nik Collection will work together. Will the Nik Collection intergrate in any way into Photolab and will it be able to work in a non destructive way on RAW files? What is the benefit of the Nik Collection when you own Photolab and Film Pack elite already, especially when you do no HDR photography. Would be happy to buy when there is any meaningful cooperation with Photolab. Any guidance for current Photolab owners is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Wolf

2 Likes

My understanding that the Nik Collection is either a standalone product or a plug-in for Adobe products so there’s no integration with PL
Please correct me if I’m incorrect

1 Like

Hello,

Yep @terrycym,

You are almost correct for now Nik can be used as a plugin to LR or PS or standalone application. But there is one more possibility - it’s use Nik Collection as a third-party application for Export. In future we concider other ways of integration.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Thank you Svetlana for this promising information. Would be happy to see the Nik Collection integrated into Photolab, maybe as a next version of the Film Pack. Could maybe become the Nik Pack :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A “Resize” plug-in would be nice.
At the moment I’m using the resize component from the Perfect Software (sic) Suite

The NIK pack is a perfect solution. Great thinking.

1 Like

You can use the Export to Application feature in PhotoLab and browse to the location of the NIK executable programs which in Windows 10 would be C:\Program Files\DxO\Nik Collection. Drill down to the program you want to run and select the .exe file. The Export to Application feature has a 5 item history list and since I only use that feature to run five of the seven programs in the NIK collection anyway, they are always available when I need them. For all intents and purposes it works exactly like it did in Lightroom. What would be a nice interim solution before full integration would a an export to to NIK Collection menu item and a small pop-up menu to select from.

Mark

Hi Wolf - - I think of the Nik Collection (now by DxO) as a final finishing tool - for when there’s something I cannot achieve in PL alone.

Yes - That would be an excellent interim solution to make ability to interface with Nik (from PL) more obvious to new users.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion. Nice idea, I’ll send it to the team to discuss.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

3 Likes

@sgospodarenko - Hey Svetlana -

I just joined specifically to tell you that this is the sort of thing that will make DXO survive it’s rough times.

Well done on the attitude and listening to your customers (I’ve been one for years, just bought PhotoLab to upgrade my 10 Elite).

PuterPro

3 Likes

Hello,
I also would like to see the NIK Collection integrated into PhotoLab (same as FilmPack and ViewPoint). Having that option, IMHO, would move DxO far ahead of the pack. Please make it so number one! :smile:

4 Likes

Developing on from this, wouldn’t it be nice if PL was integrated with Nik HDR EFEX Pro directly so you could create a 32 bit HDR image (in .HDR or .DNG format) without having to leave PL and having to create intermediate TIFFs (or God forbid, JPGs)?

4 Likes

Yes please, make Photolab and the Nik collection work fine together :sunglasses:

But also Nik collection and Affinity by Serif softwares too. Be as open as you can support it :+1:

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Thanks for sharing this method. I tried exporting a RAW file to NIK Pre-Sharpener, selected Export selected file without processing. It seems to process the export without issues as the Pre Sharpener opens with the exported image. However when I try Save the image I get an error message (screenshot attached) which indicates a permission/rights issue. Did you also run into this error, if so, what is the resolution? Thanks in advance for your insights.
Sharpener%20Pro3%20Save%20Error !

I tried Save for both Sharpener RAW & Output and both saved the new TIF in the same folder as the source image rather that Documents like HDR Efex does

BTW
Launching HDR Efex from PS doesn’t give you the menu bar like you get from PL and selecting File > Save as causes a crash when launch via PL

Should add that Cancel doesn’t delete the new file that gets created as you might expect

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I was able to Save as a TIF as well. It would be great however if you could save the RAW file so you can continue to edit the RAW image after sharpening. DXO’s suggested NIK workflow has the RAW presharpenener first followed up Define2 etc., IMHO it would seem best to do these using a RAW image. https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015299047-Suggested-Workflow

Perhaps one day the Nik collection willl have an integrated plug-in, like Film Pack 5, which will allow us to apply edits to raw files, but I’m guessing the ability to do that will not be available for a very long time, if ever.

Mark

I agree Mark, the signals DXO are sending regarding NIK integration with PL are not encouraging. I guess we can only hope that they will recognize the benefits [of NIK integration] that their customers see and articulate and work on a solution as a high priority.

1 Like

I think it’s just DxO’s 1st attempt to integrate PL with Nik

1 Like