PhotoLab on Ventura

I am hesitating on moving to macOS Ventura. I have an Intel MacBook Pro 16" 2019.

Anyone got any feedback on whether both the OS and PL are stable together?

1 Like

That notice refers to the Apple Silicon Mx platform and not the Intel platform.
It could be a bit more clearly explained by DxO.

2 Likes

DPL 6.3.1 on an M1 iMac / Ventura is running smoothly here.
That is apart from the known issue with Deep Prime and the Apple Silicon neural engine, but that is not applicable to your hardware.

3 Likes

If you’re still mainly using DPL5, I’d consider staying with macOS Monterey.

If you need macOS Ventura for its additional features or for some other apps, I’d create a separate volume onto which Ventura and the apps you want to test can be installed.

For testing all of your apps, clone your source volume to the new volume and install Ventura afterwards.

Note that both my Macs (iMac 2019 and M1 MBA 2020) are running macOS Monterey (again). I’ve tested Ventura on the MBA, but found that I don’t like the new system settings app…as well as the colour issues mentioned here: DeepPRIME XD introduces purple overlay/chromatic aberration

2 Likes

I have an Intel iMac 27’’ 5k (2020) with Venture 13.2.1 - DxO PL 6 elite is running without problems.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the benefits are, currently, for moving Intel Macs to Ventura for PhotoLab and other editors, whether raster or parametric. Does anyone have opinions?
I’m running PL5 on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014, 2.2GHz quad core i7 with 16GB DDR3 RAM) with Big Sur because it can’t go to Monterey and, for the moment.
Running PL5 and PL6 in my iMac (5K, 27-inch, 2020, 3.1GHz 6 core i5 with 64GB DDR4 RAM).
Not seeing any problems on either and considering what the benefits may be for moving to PL6 on the laptop.

Is it only version 6.3 or version 6.x or all versions?
It’s not clear… I use 6.2 on Ventura and I didn’t experienced color shifts but maybe I didn’t pay enough attention.

An operating system has to do a few things, one of them is to provide to applications the necessary resources with the least harm possible. DPL runs on (at least) the macOS versions advertised by DxO in the respective release notes. Everything is therefore fine, except that apps and OSs have bugs of their own, some of which have been reported here or elsewhere.

Upgrading the OS can be done because of several reasons or avoided because of a few things. Criteria for an upgrade (or not) can be

• new features that could help improve productivity
  • bugfixes and better security
  • improved resource management
  • better stability
  • additional bugs
  • incompatibility with older apps
  • changed GUI
  • etc.

The bag is mixed really - and you’ll have to add your own criteria and check possible consequences for or agains the upgrade. Cave canem, or beware of “cool” features in a productive environment, they might be counter-productive.

I upgraded my M1 Mac to Ventura within a week or two of release and have run the latest PL on that with only the known problem of not being able to use the Neural Engine (which Intel does not have) for exports. Other than that, it’s been perfectly fine. I would expect the Intel version would be also.

[quote=“platypus, post:9, topic:31511, full:true”]
An operating system has to do a few things, one of them is to provide to applications the necessary resources with the least harm possible. DPL runs on (at least) the macOS versions advertised by DxO in the respective release notes. Everything is therefore fine, except that apps and OSs have bugs of their own, some of which have been reported here or elsewhere.

Upgrading the OS can be done because of several reasons or avoided because of a few things. Criteria for an upgrade (or not) can be

• new features that could help improve productivity
  • bugfixes and better security
  • improved resource management
  • better stability
  • additional bugs
  • incompatibility with older apps
  • changed GUI
  • etc.

I switched to Ventura beta test… and I’m biting my fingers.
PL6 works well except the direction keys to change the image (you have to use shit + arrow), otherwise everything is fine with PL 6.
On the other hand big problem with Firefox, with LibreOffice, use of the space key (for example on Deep), etc… very disappointed (I am in 13.2).
Except imperative, wait for a stable version of Ventura.

Translated with DeepL

I switched pretty early on and have had no issues other than with a particular AV program needing its access rights allowing again from time to time.

I didn’t make the move the PL6 however so can’t comment on that but with PL5 no issues beyond the exact same one I had before moving to Ventura and random crashes which I have at least narrowed down to only ever affecting Fuji RAF’s and DeepPrime use.
Can work all day with my other files but for whatever reason the RAF’s cause it to randomly crash.

If you won’t touch Fuji files (admittedly could still be a hardware issue my end but I’d expect it to affect all file types really) I’d say you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Macbook Pro M1 and Ventura. I have issues with PL5 when selecting photos, zooming in and out, sometimes photos won’t show. I posted about this a couple of months ago and the solution was to upgrade to PL6. No thanks. I’ll live. -)

@papidou , please note that the text you quote ends with the “etc.”

You could edit your post to make that clear by either deleting my text and quote it again or by inserting a line saying “end of quote”. Other than that, I think your text says it all without the quote too :+1:

@migo33 , can you add a link to the post about the issues you mention. I’ve not seen any issues with DPL version 5.5 and newer. Maybe in your case, earlier versions of DPL and macOS were involved as well as Rosetta2?

A couple of things I have noticed since updating to Ventura on both Intel and M1/M2 platforms:

1. Browsing folders with a fairly large number of images in them (RAW, JPEG or TIF) seems very slow compared to Monterey, For example, you want do something as simple as upload an image to FB and navigate to a folder to choose the image, it is SLOW to display previews, even on well-specified machines with the images in fast external SSD’s. The same computers on Monterey were much, much faster in that regard.

2. Overall, PL6 and NIK Collection run pretty well. No major problems that I have experienced, but I have had several instances where the PRESET browser randomly locks up and becomes unresponsive. This has occurred on both Intel and M1/M2 Macs, so is not device specific. Not sure what is going on there.

I have had several instances where the PRESET browser randomly locks up and becomes unresponsive. This has occurred on both Intel and M1/M2 Macs, so is not device specific. Not sure what is going on there.

I can confirm this behavior. The only thing that got it back working was to restart PL6. It’s somewhat annoying as it can happen pretty early on in an editing session (like after minutes). I have a hunch it’s more likely to happen after the machine was in sleep mode, but it’s not the only situation where it happens.

Cheers

1 Like

Same here. Restart required. Definitely not related to sleep mode, seems to occur randomly, and as you say, early on in editing sessions. I think we have a bug…

1 Like

Thanks for confirming! A bit late, but anyway: I have reported this as a bug to DxO and they requested more diagnostics information. I am also pointing them to this thread. Possibly more data helps. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jonas