Photolab for iPad (pro)

The color and the Mylio Flag are not available in Photolab.
I sort my photos to folders by day and/or event. In Mylio I usually add a color tag to be able to see, I wanted to work on these photos.

After this I can filter in Photolab on the star ratings.

When I export the edits from PL, I can see that image is already exported inside PL (small mark in the lower right corner).

In Mylio you can filter on the word “dxo” (default string added to the exported file name in PL) and the original color tag (it gets exported by PL) and change the color tag to another (I use blue for “to edit” and green for “ready”).

It is certainly not perfect, but for a family photographer having limited time it is enough. And you can see your photos everywhere you are.

Thank you for the description of your workflow.

Of course that´s a possible way to manage photos, but I think that´s still quite complicated. That´s the reason why I added my comment to this post.

I think a lot of photographers would be happy to have a complete and easy to use mobile workflow.
As far as I know, no professional photo edition software (except lightroom) offers such a workflow.

regards,
Joachim

1 Like

I like to see DXO Photolab on the iPad (Pro)

3 Likes

IMHO, I think that people who downvoted this are missing a reality:

Fact 1: iPadOS is evolving and gets more and more features that allow people to have a similar experience as on macOS. Proof: mouse support on iPadOS and strong rumors of Apple porting their pro apps (Xcode, Logic, Final Cut Pro) to the iPad.

Fact 2: macOS is not evolving to incorporate some touch features seen on an iPad.

Fact 3: from a hardware point of view, Strong rumors suggest that Macs are transitioning to ARM chip away from Intel Core iX CPU. ARM chips are the CPU found in iPads and iPhones.

Fact4: iPad and iPhone are refreshed each years, when was the last iMac significant refresh again?

I love my Mac, I would be in the market for a newly design iMac, really. Bu Apple obviously decided that the future is more ARM/iPadOS focused than Intel/macOS focused.

Therefore, not making DxO PL on iPad is missing the train. Adobe, Serif and Pixelmator team are not doing it because they’re all more stupid than DxO’s team…

3 Likes

It is a matter of development resources and priorities, DxO is a small company. iPad OS has some way to go before a tool like PhotoLab really becomes feasible on it for a serious workflow. When it matures I am sure DxO (and many other professional software) will follow suit. Many professional software is not available on iPad: Apple’s own Xcode, Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X are not even on iPad OS. Why you wonder? Because Apple thinks the iPad is not ready for them. When Xcode lands on iPad and you can write software for iPad on an iPad, then it reaches a tipping point.

p.s. macOS on ARM is nothing but a rumour for now. If it gets announced next month, decisions/focus areas will be changed across the board.

Let decisions be guided by rationality, not emotion.

As Floris indicates, there is still a long way to go before you can expect an app that works well on both desktop or tablet.

There are all sorts of differences in “look and feel” that do not translate well between a WIMP (windows, icons, mice, pointers) app and a touchscreen app.

Several cross-platform libraries have appeared on the market and are universally ignored by those who know what they are doing, mainly because the resulting apps (unless they are gaming apps) simply don’t “feel” right on any platform.

A long time ago, I had to use a Java written source control app, on Windows, but the keyboard shortcuts didn’t work properly, scrolling by mouse wheel was not implemented and buttons were in the wrong place for Windows but the right place for Linux.

From what I can tell, DxO has a Windows team and a Mac team, more than likely with a common non-visual library for the underlying functionality. Imagine having to have yet another team of developers for iPad as well! Or are you willing to pay a lot more for their products in order to support, what could be, a minority of users?

I have a 27-inch imac and quite often would like to have more “real-estate” while working on pictures. Just imagining doing some serious work on an i-pad I have nightmares.

2 Likes

Well, well…

Following Apple WWDC that was held yesterday, the question is no longer “should there be an iPad version?”, but rather “when will there be an iPad/ARM version?”.

Not only the Mac lineup is moving to ARM architecture, Apple provides a way to build universal apps and to transcode Intel-based apps to ARM-based apps. Also, since 2019 and Apple’s “Project Catalyst” (i.e. build an iPad app and the equivalent app is automatically generated for Mac), Apple’s plan for the future is clearly focused on ARM and iOS/iPadOS.

For those of you who are not into tech/coding, know that a number of native Apple’s apps for MacOS are actually iOS/iPadOS apps that have been transcoded.

DxO PL will have to migrate to ARM as this is the future of Mac. So, de facto it will run on an iPad. So let’s just have it :slight_smile:

DxO team, can you comment on this please?

1 Like

Hi @Yoms,
What you say is technically true, but there is a (big) catch.

A software is not only compiled for a given architecture (like ARM), it also has to be designed for a particular device. A mobile device with a touch screen is very different from a desktop computer with mouse and keyboard. On mobile you have basically zero shortcuts (just an exemple) and controls need to be big enough to be activated by a finger…There are options and settings that make no sense on desktop but that are considered as mandatory on a mobile device. On mobile you have gyros, cameras, ToF sensors, mics and so on that can bu used, on a desktop computer most of those sensors don’t even exist…

A product like DxO PhotoLab, as well as basically all desktop softwares out there, needs to be designed from the ground up when ported to a mobile platform. The product will be based on the same common ground, but will exist in two (very) different versions…

2 Likes

This is all good and nice but I still do not have more screen real-estate unless they come up with a 27inch ipad.

1 Like

@StevenL,

Hi,
My understanding for using DPL on an iPad is to use use it with a stylus, not with the finger.
I don’t know for @Yoms, but if I had to do it for sure it will be with that stylus.

And I agree with him that with the migration from Intel to ARM you will have to port DPL on this processor.
Eventually making it usable with the finger is another story.

Understand that:

• an ARM app that works on both Mac and iPad still lets you use it on your iMac
  • you’re not alone and some have a use case for an iPad version, especially while on the go
  • you can connect an iPad Pro to an external display, no need for a 27" inch iPad for that

Thanks for answering, but 2 things to answer your remarks:

1. Catalyst let you have both at the same time, Apple will “translate” finger gestures to mouse clicks automatically. That’s why their native touch-based apps work for macOS. There are already several of them. So this is definitely not a pb. Moreover, an iPad app like Pixelmator is not that different than the desktop version (I mean you still basically have a panel with sliders to adjust things)

2. There is mouse/keyboard support on iPad. Introduced a few weeks ago.

Honestly, you have:

• Same ARM architecture => so it’s the same code
  • Universal app utility => so you can still support Intel-based Mac
  • Mouse + keyboard support => so you can keep all the shortcuts + interact with a mouse

I really can’t see why you wouldn’t go that direction. Not only it would bring DxO PL on the iPad for those who need it (think travel photographers), but it seems Apple is clearly showing what’s the path for future: it’s first iOS/iPadOS and only then macOS. You can regret it, but this is Apple’s choice.

About “Catalyst”…I think the overall feeling (by that I mean what most developers think, not just DxO) is that so far, a “converted” iOS app feels just like a mobile app with a different pointing device which is not ideal (and that makes you feel like this app wasn’t “intended” for a desktop OS in the first place :wink: ).
Mobile computing is on the rise of course, yet mobile and desktop have their own unique behaviours.
An iPad version of PL could make sense, but it’s not just the same desktop version on a mobile device. It’s a redesigned piece of software.

At the moment I’m still Windows user, but over the last months I thinked about changing to Apple system.
Today for me it’s easy to buy a piece of software, or download it from App Store and to use it on my desktop and also my notebook or tablet (all windows)
The time I dealed with Apple I noticed that there is a difference between iOS and macOS …yes folks I’m a rookie for apple.
So if I would buy a mac mini and/or a macbook I could use my favorite apps like DXO and Affinity Photo/publisher.
But for a smaller device like a iPad pro I can’t use DXO and Aff publisher.
About marrying the Apple systems I’ve read I think it was april by searching all the stuff.

So I would promote the Idea to join the transcoding way, starting to leave the update pain of Microsoft.

greetings

Guenter

Actually, the stylus is supported by default. As a developper, you can use Apple’s stylus API to enhance this default behaviour. But, out of the box the stylus is already supported as a “finger replacement”.

Maybe it’s true about Catalyst. The Twitter app for instance feels like the way you describe.

We can scratch the Catalyst aspect if you want, but it doesn’t really change the fact that you will have to bring DxO PL to ARM sooner than later (except if you plan on not supporting future Mac which I doubt). So, as you will have an ARM-based app + the fact that there’s mouse/keyboard support on iPad, somehow you already have an iPad app anyway, even if you’re not using Catalyst.

We’re not asking - well at least I - that you develop an iPad that use the gyro, the built-in camera, etc. What we’re asking is to have PL as it exists at the moment run on a iPad. And then, if you see fit bring iPad-oriented features at a later stage, but that’s beyond this thread.

Having an ARM PL on Mac and an iPad app are totally different things as @StevenL pointed out. And while it is true that Catalyst helps porting from an iPad app to a Mac app, the opposite isn’t true. So DxO would still need to start from scratch to make an iPad app. Then later only development effort could eventually be shared by replacing the macOS app by the iPad app with Catalyst.

2 Likes

To me Catalyst is not a solution for PhotoLab. Did you see what apps are using it? Simple apps like messaging, Music, Maps etc… not high-performance apps.

I agree with the DxO staff. Turning PhotoLab into an iPad app isn’t simply enabling a checkbox. It asks for a completely redesign / unique approach to make it work.

So three ways to go about this are:

• Redesign PhotoLab from the ground up with a dual desktop-mobile/touch philosophy
  • Porting PhotoLab to ARM first and then making it work for ARM later (but already take into account that mac is going full touch down the line)
  • Ignore the iPad/touch

I would say the second option makes most sense for now. The writing on the wall is that ARM-based touch Macs are coming, and this should be taken into account with every design decision going forward. Also, in the next decade iPadOS and macOS will merge… you can bet on it (Big Sur moved towards iPadOS, while iPadOS moved towards Big Sur… this is no coincidence.

2 Likes

I agree, downvote from me. I would prefer that Dxo spend their effort introducing new functionality rather than refactoring their existing software to run on an ipad.

2 Likes