Photolab 5 crashing repeatedly trying to fil in IPTC fields

Just been going through old images and trying to tag them with basic info for a start

Started on a folder containing 202 images

Name: MyName [Crashes]
City: MyCity [Crashes] etc

Each time I enter data in a field, PL5 freezes and I have to close and reopen it
The field itself is still filled, so I move to the next field… and it freezes again and so on

No other images apps open, just browser and email client

Not been an issue till today, even when I have had more apps open such as Affinity etc

Anyone else getting this bug?

(Wind 10 Pro, Ryzen 5 3.6GHz 6-core, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX 5600 XT card)

Update: Just had a brainstorm. I was adding data to my archive files. This is held on a 7,200rpm disk (1st stage on my back up files) I decided to check by adding data to files in progress that are held on and SSD. Folder contained 102 images (i’e half the files of the first folder I was trying to update). It took approximately 10 secs per data field to ad info to the IPTC fields on the SSD for the 102 files selected.

So it seems, even with a reasonable CPU and Ram the write time on a spinner is significantly slower. - just tested and it took 64 seconds to write to a single field the IPTC of 202 files)

Anyone else finding this issue? Is it normal?

Update 2: Another brainstorm. Hid all none CR2 files (e.g. .tiff) and tried again on the spinner. Approx 6 secs to update the files in the folder. For virtual copy images it only partially updates, leaving out the IPTC Content fields but does update the IPTC Image fields

Any help or suggestions appreciated

Good morning @tilltheendofeternity ,

Could you, please, provide us with a crash report (%UserProfile%\Documents\DxO PhotoLab 5 crashes) for the investigation?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana

I have fathomed the issue:

The crashes were me doing a forced shutdown of PL5 as it appeared to have hung. Later investigation found that if you attempt to Select All images in a folder to set IPTC common data such as location etc while there are Tiff files selected it will slow PL5 down to a crawl such that it appears to have frozen. If I removed tiff files and only do CR2 Raw files then the time comes down to whether it is on an SSD or a normal spinner (a few seconds delay versus a minute)

DxO.PhotoLab.txt (383.7 KB)

Regards

Stephen

Thank you. So, it’s not a crash but a freeze when you update metadata on a large set of files. It’s a known limitation and we are planning to improve this behavior.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like