PhotoLab 4 and Mac M1 Chip

Wondering if you guys program Version 4 for the M1 from Apple.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure about it because it’s the way to go.

I’ve tested a set of images on a 2019 iMac and a 2020 M1 MacBook Air.
Here are the figures for the export of 60 images (identically set on both Macs) to 16bit TIFF:

• iMac: 140s
  • MBA: 186s

iMac spec.: 27in 8 core 3.6 GHz i9, Radeon Pro 580X 8GB, 40 GB RAM, 2TB SSD
MBA spec.: 13in 8 core CPU, 8 core GPU, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Please note that DPL4.1.1 is not yet made for M1 and had to run using Rosetta 2.
Times above with HQ noise reduction. With DeepPrime, I get 6 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.

1 Like

Did you have any issues running PL4 or the Nik programs from the Rosetta environment? Are there any drawbacks or features that are disabled?

After researching the results of the M1 infrastructure when using labor intensive operations related to photo and video editing, I have been seriously considering getting one of the new M1 Mac Mini’s, but I do 95% of my wedding and professional work in DXO and can’t have any interruptions or shortcomings. I wanted to get some first hand experience feedback first.

As a general rule, you do not want to change a running system unless it is necessary…

Getting a M1 Mac means that you are an early adopter of both hardware and OS. I suppose that an adapted release of DPL will be made available soon and then you’ll be an early adopter of DPL too.

From an engineering/techie point of view, Apple’s change to the new processor is interesting and as far as my tinkering with M1goes, things have worked out. Your other 5% might kill it though.

Getting a new machine because it is cool is different from getting something your income depends on…

1 Like

I do have a m1 and see no problems so far with dxo! Can’t tell how good Nik collection runs as indoor have a license !

If dxo would make a beta test for m1 please invite me :slight_smile:

1 Like