PhotoLab 3

Yes I found things to be generally snappier on my
Windows 10 machine. Not a huge difference, but a noticeable and welcome difference.

Mark

when I did my de-noising test, I found that exporting an image with prime nr took 13 seconds in DPL 3 instead of 16 seconds in DPL 2. Well done!

Do you find what you’re looking for with help of folder/directory names and dste (of file) or do you have yet another means?

I backup all of our trip photos on 2 separate external hard drives. All the photos are stored under the YEAR/MONTH/LOCATION of the photos and, within the LOCATION folder, they are broken up by DAY1 - LOCATION 1, DAY 2 - LOCATION 2, etc. Thus I can find pretty much anything by doing a search for the photo location or the year and/or month of the trip.

I started this before I ever heard of using a DAM and, when I finally did find out about it, I had so many images stored that the idea of going back and adding keywords was just a non-starter. Over all it has served me well and I really don’t have any problem finding photos I want or need.

I would probably have been better off if I had started using a DAM at the start, but I don’t really regret the way this ended up.

2 Likes

TNX! Similarly here. However, I have to extract still a lot of pictures from Apple’s (old) iPhoto and (newer) Photos and move them into the YY-Quarter (an extra!)-MM-DD storage on external disks and DD folder/directory labelled with place or event.
For items of particular interest (archaeological sites e.g.) I add when post-processing an image some keywords, possibly also GPS data. May have to use OTR software to exploit such extra effort.
Thought at one time to use Mylio but couldn’t quite warm to it (free up to 25k photos and I have a bit more :-]).

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that link. The video showed me that I was using some of the functionality in too narrow a fashion and that the software was capable of doing more than I thought it was able to do.

After seeing this I will play with the software more and think that I will upgrade. I had not planned to do so before I saw this video, so thank you again.

3 Likes

OK, caved in, got the update, it is a lot better than the previous one!

2 Likes

Very interesting :slight_smile: Is there anything specific that swung your decision?

It were the local adjustment masks, the handy repair tool and the color adjustment facilities (although these last can still be considerably improved).

Now if only they could make the previews look sharper (as in Capture One) :smiley:

2 Likes

I will admit that the repair tool is a lot better than it was in PL2 and the mask handling is better with the dedicated panel but I have not been impressed with the Color Wheel. It would have been a lot better for me if there had been a color picker and if it was possible to restrict the range of the tool with a mask.

I am still not sure that the changes are worth the price of the update.

2 Likes

Agree with your comments on the color wheel Mike.

Many thanks for the prompt Reply!!