PhotoLab 3 is in!

I just tried PL3 on my old Laptop (MacBook Pro 2012) and was very pleasantly surprised that it feels much “snappier” than I was used to.

I skipped PL2, but now I will upgrade from PL1 to PL3, mainly because of the long awaited improvements in local adjustments. Well done, DxO!

3 Likes

I decided to become an early supporter again. :slightly_smiling_face: Although a year ago it turned out that a moment later “early supporters” could feel a little cheated in the Black Friday (as someone has written here before). Nevertheless, I think that new features introduced in the PhotoLab 3 are really good, especially HSL Tool is OK. I’m still missing an improvement in Selective Tone performance, but hopefully this is still ahead of us.

4 Likes

when you can afford the Elite version of Photolab, you can afford paying more for the very same upgrade (which is not PRIME related)… that’s a poor move from DXO imho… :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m not sure what your point is. The upgrade to the Essential version 3 is $49.99 USD, the upgrade to Elite version 3 is $69.99 USD The Elite version is well worth the fairly insignificant extra cost of $20

Mark

1 Like

I bought the Elite upgrade last night. Saved $20, or about 22%. Last year’s Black Friday sale was awesome - but I don’t remember such a big discount being offered before and decided it won’t necessarily recur this year. I want PL3 enough to buy it now. If it turns out I could have saved more by waiting, I won’t complain. :grin:

2 Likes

Unlike the PL2 lackluster upgrade, this one has very significant new and upgraded features. While we always want for more, I am very pleased with PhotoLab 3.

Mark

1 Like

… and for blak friday, it’s not certain !

As I’ve said before I think one of the reasons people were so upset with the Black Friday prices last year was because when the early adopters paid for the upgrade to PL2 there was so little new in it that they already felt ripped off. And when those people who were not early adopters got the benefit of a Black Friday sale, it was like a slap in the face to all those who thought they were being supportive of DXO financial issues by buying the new version as soon as it came out. This year’s version 3 upgrade is very satisfying with significant new functionality. so even though there may be a Black Friday sale I think most of the people that adopted the new version early will not be too upset this year.

Last year was a different set of circumstancesn with nothing in the upgrade except an update to Clearview and the addition of some rudimentary search features.

Mark

2 Likes

Will future lens/body modules work with PL2 or is PL2 now ‘not supported’?

Cameras are usually supported from a certain release on, e.g. the EOS M6 Mark II needs DPL 3.1.0 according to this page: https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/supported-cameras/

Other than that, I believe there are no other constraints, at least I have never encountered any.

I didn’t follow the link, but I’m not sure 3.1.0 exists yet???

Not yet, but DxO gives us a forecast through this page too…

Indeed, but there’s no mention of PL2 being dropped?

Hopefully a DxO rep will come in here…

Hopefully there will still be some level of support for PL2 for you, but I tend to doubt it. When it comes to software upgrades in general, more often than not, when a new version is released updates to the previous version stops. The only exception is usually bug fixes for serious problems that prevent the previous version from working properly.

Mark

1 Like

i believe optical modules (lenses) are still updatable but supported camera’s not after new release of a version for the old version.
So DPLv2 is “stationary” as software after the new version release.

1 Like

There are so many features in in the backlog that I had been looking forward to this release. However since I have DAM software and don’t heavily modify many individual images, and since Android RAW support is still pending, I’d really only be upgrading for the improved repair tool. So will likely sit this one out.

There is a lot more than that. The improved repair tool and the brand new clone tool is just one of three major feature changes. There were significant changes to local processing including the ability to change opacity on separate masks, the ability to turn individual masks on and off, and the ability to invert masks. There is also a brand new HSL color wheel color management process which is a truly excellent improvement in managing color. There are also bug fixes and minor adjustments to other features, new camera and lens support, new metadata keyword support, and many of us have also noticed that performance is a bit improved.

Not to mention that things definitely seem to happen faster in v3

Yes I agree. I mentioned that in the last sentence of my post.

Mark

I’m a dedicated amateur, and after I started using PL & Nik, my photo’s became so much better. The upgrade is 69 Euro for me, that’s less than 3 month’s rent for inferior Adobe app’s. I’m a happy PL3 user.

4 Likes