PhotoLab 3 is in!

Although I wouldn’t have upgraded to PL2 if not for the Black Friday sale and DxO’s firm but failed assurances of upcoming feature improvements, I really appreciate the development and support teams’ hard work. They’ve had a lot of catching up to do w.r.t. camera/lens support and bug fixes and did deliver. PL3 seems a much more worthwhile upgrade to me. I really like the new HSL, Clone/Heal, and Local Adjustments features. They’re better than I expected! And I never expected to see these added to PL2. Some improvements remain undelivered - but those probably aren’t as important.

I plan to upgrade, but am only running PL3 in trial for now. Upgrading now would save me $20 US, but last year’s Black Friday sale saved me $45. And this nasty surprise change in virtual copy management has me extra-cautious, looking for undocumented changes for better or worse. (I sure hope DxO quickly implements a fix for those of us who like how PL2 handled v.c.!)

Finally, I hope the improvements for Mac users are substantial. I’ve been glad to be running PL2 on Windows 10!

Cheers and best wishes.

3 Likes

“Keywords are also displayed directly in the Metadata palette, plus you can directly add, delete,rename keywords or assign them to a batch of images (macOS version only, soon available in the Windows version).”

I was looking forward to the metadata keyword feature. I clearly missed the “macOS version only” on the DxO website before pulling the trigger to purchase the upgrade.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a feature when DxO says “soon available”?

About 11 months and $70.

7 Likes

Appropriately timed, fitting sarcasm. I love it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, @Joanna 's suggested workaround is the best way to handle this issue (whereby you wish to delete the original version - now labelled as "M"aster - and replace it with a virtual copy)

• Ctrl+Shift+C to copy all corrections (global + local) from the virtual copy
  • Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the copied corrections onto the "M"aster version
  • Now you can delete the virtual copy.

Apparently, many users were confused with the previous handling of virtual copies - perhaps due to their experience in other products, where there was labelling of one of the versions as being the “original” or “Master” copy … which is how PL3 now depicts it.

The main advantage, which got me “across the line” on this change is;

• Previously, if you made some corrections and exported the result - - an exported file was created without any suffix.
    – If you then created a virtual copy and exported both the original version + the virtual copy - - the two exported copies had “_1” and “_2” as a suffix to their filename - - in addition to the, now redundant, previously exported filename.

• Now, with PL3, assuming one has followed the same process as above;
    – Two files are exported - - one without any suffix (so that you will receive the standard message for exporting to an existing filename - - with options for Over-wright, Rename, etc) - - and one with a “_1” as a suffix to its filename, corresponding to the single virtual copy.

Or, much easier; use the Copy/Paste Correction Settings - - as per above … also see explicit options in the Image menu.

Regards, John M

1 Like

Done :slight_smile: PhotoLab 3 is in!

https://www.dxo.com/dxo-academy/ will there be v3 videos soon?

See here

John M

1 Like

indeed, :grin::grin::grin:

After purchasing the upgrade to PhotoLab 3 and trying to install it, the installer informed me that my version of Windows (7) is not supported and I have to upgrade to either Windows 8 or 10. There was no mention of this on the upgrade page, so to make use of this upgrade I have to buy a new computer as mine is not compatible with Windows 8 or Windows 10, so that is £55 wasted.

To say I am a little disappointed is an understatement.

1 Like

Are keywords broken in Windows? I know there was a mention of hierarchical keywords being Mac only right now and coming to Windows but I don’t see ANY keywords dialog in the trial…

nokeywords

Hello @cepler,

The keyword panel appears only when the image has keywords and it’s hidden when no keywords are detected:

PhotoLab_2019-10-24_09-47-50

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello,

@Marie can you, please, clarify? Thank you.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello,

yes we will support Leica Q2. I’m sorry it takes time, I’m still working on getting a camera.

Regards,
Marie

Hello Mark,

• Well, it was a request from you, users which was supported by a good number of them. Right now when you delete a Master you delete all virtual copies and you are warned about it with the message. But it’s a first step on the way to one more users’ request which is VC renaming.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Svetlana,

It’s my understanding that keywords can be added to the metadata in the Mac version of PL3. Do you have any idea when that same ability will be available in the WIndows version?

Mark

1 Like

Good morning,

• Yes, it will come with PL3.1.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

3 Likes

Thanks Svetlana. That’s great to hear. While there will always be more features we would love to see added or upgraded, PhotoLab 3 does not disappoint in my opinion. I’m very pleased.

Mark

1 Like

Hello Patrick,

Microsoft announced the end of support of Windows 7 so it would be unfair if we stops the support in the middle of PL3 life cycle. But I agree that we should emphasize it more actively. In your case I think you can ask for a refund. Please, adress it to a support team.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Wowwww…
“There’s also a brilliant new function that inverts adjustment masks with just one click, making this an even more versatile and creative tool.”

3 Likes