PhotoLab 3 - how to set origin of clone tool?

Can’t find how to set the origin for a clone operation

Click on the pin and move the originpart

Illustrations on
http://tuto.dxo.free.fr/EN/Efficacite/Efficiency.html#C01_La_Reparation

Pascal

Pin? All I get is the same bluish circle that I get with the repair function.

This appears to be a link to your local disk, which I cannot see :crazy_face:

Ooops
[Edit Ooops twice ]

Pascal

Ah! Got it! You have to select “show masks”. This is not at all obvious and possibly should be the default for when cloning is selected at least

2 Likes

I’m still a bit puzzled. When you show masks, you get the same source/destination masks in both repair and clone modes; and they seem to do the same thing. Am I missing something?

I’m very confused :frowning:
The link above is the old one.

In repair mode, The textures of the source and the background are mixed (50/50)
Pascal

1 Like

Hi Joanna - - It works like this;

1. Select the Repair tool (obviously !)
  2. Adjust the size (Ctrl+MouseScrollWheel) and feathering (Shift+MouseScrollWheel) of your clone-patch - and paint over the area you wish to replace (the target).
  3. An arrow will appear, showing the automatically selected source for cloning/replacing this area.
  4. If you don’t like PL’s automatically selected source then you can move the source area with your mouse (indicated at the “bottom” end of the source-to-target arrow).

See @Pieloe’s tutorial for a practical example …

John M

3 Likes

I was just exact at the same point. Depending on the source, there is no difference if using the clone or repair tool. What is missing in the manual to clarify that repair is 50/50 and clone 100% replacement through the source. Thanks Pascal for the info.

1 Like

Hi Joanna,
They don’t do the same thing.

Thanks Peter for referring to your article. Well explained.

1 Like

Is there a key combination to bring up the ‘sample from’ mask? Sometimes I have to click on the mask a few times. Wondering if something like shift-click or ctl-click. or a combo with right-click can do this.
I mostly use it to fix sensor dirt/oil spots, so I’ll typically have quite a few small masks scattered around. I just want to go to whichever one is ‘not working right’ and change the sample from area.
I like that I can move my cursor off-picture to get an immediate view of the repair - thanks!

I do not know one.
Pascal

Is it possible to set the clone source to be a location in another image?

I’m trying to use multiple photos of the same scene, then remove people from one by cloning from another.

No. That is not possible.

Yes you can re-use cloning and repair locations with copy past action between image’s. And you can continu to move the position.video

As in get pixels out a external image to repair? No you can’t.

As you have been advised above; no, this is not directly possible … but, there is a workaround.

You can combine the two images as one image … and then work with that.

For example, Irfan (free image viewer) has a feature that allows any number of images to be combined as one. Then you can use PL’s Clone/Repair tool to work on the combination image - - finally using the Crop tool to define the part of the image that you wish to keep.

I recently used this method to apply a tattoo (“Mum”) to my nephew’s brawny arm … His mother, my sister, was suitably horrified … Success !!

Regards, John M

1 Like