Photolab 3 64 bit version does not run with windows 7 64 bit

That post has been withdrawn. There’s nothing self-defeating about a user going three to seven years between OS updates. Productive time is working with an OS, not beta-testing for Google, Apple, Microsoft or any of the other dozen billion dollar companies who should be running their own lab testing (they could certainly afford it) and releasing major updates every two years not running a perpetual beta, running from one broken major version of the OS to another.

I’m happy to beta test for DxO as I care deeply about the software and it doesn’t affect my core productivity to face a bug in a beta version (just open the previous version in a pinch). OS is totally different.

1 Like

There is nothing in DxO Photolab 3 that is incompatible with Windows 7, it is merely that DxO doesn’t wish to test for that platform. In my opinion, it’s self-defeating (and disrespectful because Win7 is not yet obsolete and its use will be extended even by MS in certain circumstances). Moreover, the new Luminar 4 left Win7 support intact, to their great merit. I gave my Win7 money to DxO so that they could decide not to test for Win7 – for which it would technically work easily. This thread proves the blowback and justly so. What makes it not work is a BUILT-IN CHECK AGAINST WIN7. I hope you all understand that. Remove the check, but state you won’t support inquiries into DxO not working on Win7 machines. There is no merit in this decision.

2 Likes

And how do you backup this statement? i didn’t program dxov3 and didn’t have a backlog of new programblocks for implementing so i can’t state it is. (i don’t say it won’t work 90%-99% precent of the time but this 100% no need is a bit far out.)

Total different companies. they have there own reasons to keep win7 in there working area.
Let’s turn this around:
Why would any one not be upgrading to win10? Privacy? grown up there isn’t any privacy anymore with al the systems and connections around. Go live in the woods take a Linux cursus build your own system don’t go near any city or wifi/ cellphone system.
Win10 can be closed for peaking and poking just as good as win7. i am sure NSA has got a meating with Bill Gates about nice backdoors to build in for win10 releases and Google has it’s own metadata grabber. Same as driving a old car with no electronics to help you because the carshop can read out the chip (newcars) otherwise and did see where you went how much speed you cornered the local highway drive up, the brake force any thing they have GPS G-forcetelemtrie, recording all engine actions braking actions and assistsystems.entering your phone with bluetoothconnection like any app can geessh overload them is easier then block them. (i just live my live in a way it’s comfortable and be the ant in the antfarm as we all.)

Migration cost’s?
Well you have to go one time when your servers go down or and pc’s blow up, died on you.
Better to do it on your terms and time then forced.

It’s simple and DxO made a decision to follow there OS platform decisions Microsoft and MAC
about supporting and such. I am sure you can undo the lock and install on win 98 for what i care That’s not what it is al about. Win7 is/gonabe stopped for support and updating by Microsoft and to be clear and fair DxO follows the line but stated in front that this short period of time that the END OF LIVE of Win7’s support isn’t active they are starting a few months earlier because of there new release of V3.

On personal basis yes when i have a win7 OS i would to have a “Nonsupport” install of v3 and hope it will work without problems.
Easiest way to overcome: buy a new superfast pc win10 64 fully loaded and go remote acces from your win 7 pc… LOL:rofl:

No serious i understand peoples reaction of the sudden block of there win7 in not installing at all. But it isn’t new that win 7 is gonabe EOL-ed. (win xp is run by dutch goverment much longer then MS would be supporting and they payed bigtime to have support…
use google translate: https://nos.nl/artikel/2032116-overheid-betaalt-1-7-miljoen-voor-windows-xp.html
About lazyness and blindness spoken! :joy::crazy_face:

Everyone said there beef and i think its read but i don’t think the policy is gona be changed.

Sorry i must have blown a fuse some where…:cry::woozy_face:

1 Like

I build updated images of Windows (currently Win7, Win8.1, Win10 LTSC) via sysprep and have built many, many PC;s. I also use virtually all pro photo softwares… And maintain hundreds of silent installers. I have a little insight into software.

There are many, MANY reasons not to update to that debacle called Windows 10. Even though I have performance laptops that run it (only for lack for proper drivers for other operating systems – and WINE isn’t that good that I can abandon Windows due to softwares), on every other system that lets me I will either run Win7 or Win8. First of all, the 1.5gb update (or replace half the OS every month or two) is just an extremely bad model and has caused many issues. So with Win7 and 8.1 you have many choices and can decide which updates to install or not. Even if you use gpedit.msc to disable auto-updates in 10, when you run WU you will have no option to choose which updates install. You have to get wushowhide.diagcab and run it to hide the updates you DON’T want. Tell me that’s not backwards and has taken away the power of the user. I recently installed an automated, updated image I made of Win10 LTSC on my system (LTSC being the most tolerable of all 10s) and even with a 5,000 line registry tweak file (yes, it is tweaked into submission) the UI is still a true, deep shame and so much less fluid than Win7 that the overall user experience is choppy and deeply unpleasant at best. Win10 is truly a major step back in user experience and UI fluidity. I am an admin on a software forum as well and we have discussions like these many times, and as a general rule have found that people don’t actually feel Win10 is better from a user perspective. Usually, Win10 adherents just chime in with vague notions about outdated operating systems, but have not real insight into programming or what constitutes “security.” They don’t even know what a hosts file is but love lecturing others about what is obsolete or secure.

Adobe has the same situation with their 2020 apps, they won’t run on Win7 anymore. Well, actually not true. Audition can run but gives you error messages first, because they programmed a system check into it. My assertion that it is a built-in check against Win7 and even Win8.0 (why don’t you just slap customers in the face?) is one based on common sense and looking at the program files – and one made to illicit proof of it NOT being so by developers ( feel free to reply, devs). It is much more sensible to claim this than to claim such a check was not programmed into it.

About Win7 end of life (where is the argument for 8.0 then?), they estimate that even through 2020, the user base world wide will still be 35% (more than a third of all users in the world), much higher than after XP EOL, and the only reason it is even that “low” is because of preinstalled new hardware/machines, which is mainly how MS forces the change. But I agree it’s losing battle, compounded only by decisions of software companies to exclude the last great desktop OS. My point was DxO shoots themselves in the foot and it would easily be worth letting 3.x run on Win7. I will keep using 2.x without issue. I know DxO can’t help MS sucks so bad. Look at MS’ debacles for proof. They couldn’t make Win7 (Vista) work until too late. Fixing Vista cost MS 2 precious years during which time they majorly fell behind in many areas, culminating in Apple’s meteoric rise. Win8 was virtually unusable for many users; they got so much negative feedback (as early bird testers we tried most vehemently to persuade MS otherwise, but they never listen) – again culminating in MS doing a mea culpa of embarrassing proportions and putting the start menu back in (now sucking, in contrast to Win7’s or even XP’s), then to Win10 which is the leakiest OS in the history of Windows, the absolute worse OS to use from the perspective of security and privacy, pushing 1.5gb system updates either every month or every other month, no more service packs, no update control, lost all the precious lessons of years of Vista/Win7 UI research (oh yes, many man hours went into Win7 UI fluidity and user experience), to end up with a flat, choppy, Flintstones UI that would even shame a Win3.1 user. Nokia division bought, Win phones totally failed, but we still have people actually defending MS and Win10. Comments like yours are not about Win10 merit. It is just about stating the obvious (Win10 is it now, this is DxO’s decision). I already know all that. So I stand by what I said.

2 Likes

Sorry but Windows 7 is not End of Life. Is supported until 2023 via payed Extended Security Updates. Our companies are paying this extended support until Microsoft develops a non ugly unintuitive smartphone and cloud OS that is Windows 10. We are also searching other OS options, but never Windows 10.

I’m very disgusting to now need to buy other Photo RAW software than DxO because the lack of support to a SUPPORTED OS that is Windows 7.

Its also interesting that pirate versions of DxO Photolab 3 runs very well and 100% on Windows 7.

3 Likes

Now isn’t that interesting!

If you would be willing to elaborate I would like to know what specifically is so ugly and unintuitive about Windows 10.

Mark

It’s not macOS :nerd_face::wink::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::smile::crazy_face::sunglasses:

Yep. I know, and that’s one of the reasons I use Windows 10. I also use an Android phone rather than an iPhone. I intently dislike Apples design and feature paradigm. :smiley:

Mark

2 Likes