Photolab 3 64 bit version does not run with windows 7 64 bit

Good morning,

Thank you @mwsilvers Mark, these are exactly the reasons why we stops it before Microsoft. And I bet now the users of Win7 are only unhappy because they can’t upgrade but in case we stopped the support in the middle of the application life cycle they would be rather angry because they paid for this version which no longer could receive upgrades and new bodies support.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Exactly.
And from a later post:

I’d also be interested in a well-founded technical statement, but with DxO’s communication attitude (or lack thereof) we will surely never get one. :frowning:

Tilmann

1 Like

Would you be happier if DxO just announced in the install app with a checkbox that they don’t give any support on dplv3 which is installed on Win7? So you can install/run dxOv3 but every question about behaviour/troubles/will be answered with no support.

This looks good, you can use dplv3. Your responsibility to use a older OS then advised, but one tiny thing: later in the time you think your “problem” is non Win7 related and you get a “no support on win7 only win10, sorry” answer (which they announced in install texted which you checked/clicked on and forgot after a week/month/year) then you are fumed also because it’s a app issue not a OS issue so i demand support… You get in a grey area of how far is support non OS.

I run old win app’s which microsoft-w10 is deactivate\delete every major update (not compatible) because i like there way of working and that is my own decision. Now you try to instal a new application which is written for W10 on a older platform that’s the other way around.
(will it run yes i think nearly all will work but there is no guaranty and warranty and there lies the key.)

So yes i understand that you like to make the decision of install or not and not be limited by blocking install due OS version, but i also understand dxO’s decision not to support and let be able to install on older OS which is EOL-ed by the manufacturer.

Will future lens/body modules work with PL2 or is PL2 now ‘not supported’?

Mike,
Good question. I am certain the answer is that PL2 will get no more updates.
Cheers, Joseph

I’m not sure if new Modules count as Updates?

Hello,

PL2 won’t be updated with the new bodies since now. All the new bodies will be delivered with PL3.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Well, this attitude is why my copy of PhotoLab 3 really must be returned then. Better strategy:

Allow customers to choose their own OS and not just impose the latest OS on users to make life more convenient for developers.

I’m really annoyed not to get PhotoLab 3. I like PhotoLab 2 enough and use it strategically enough (not expecting more from PhotoLab than it can reasonably give) that I’ll get over it. Sometime in the future I might upgrade to PhotoLab 4 or even PhotoLab 3 on a discount when my primary OS corresponds with DxO’s system requirements again.

I am a Mac user and do not know Window 7 but what is so special about it that I want to have such an old OS which not even Microsoft will support any longer. Is it maybe because some special software does not run on newer OS?

Thanks very much but I’d like to continue to use PhotoLab on El Capitan and not have to update all my work computers from my productivity OS and fight additional spyware from Apple.

Each version of each OS from Apple and Microsoft strangles privacy ever further. Sigi, you are a frog slowly being boiled alive. If you don’t care about privacy (I’d be surprised as I believe you are German) I do. Not only that but all these totally unnecessary (when did the last OS feature I cared about come out, about seven years ago maybe) system updates are a huge productivity drain.

Amazingly enough there’s almost a one to one correspondence with the advent annual OS updates and an annual drop off of knowledge worker productivity of about 15%. DxO didn’t use to participate in this latest OS stupidity (cross-platform app, not dependent on latest frameworks). Sorry to see another good company lost to conventional thinking.

Hi Alec

Which are your privacy related concerns in the newer macOS and/or PhotoLab?

I know Microsoft have taken a beating for not respecting the users privacy but they have really shaping up and are not as nosy as they used to be.
What do they neglect in your opinion when it comes to privacy?
I’m not mainly a windows user.

Required, that’s a topic really far too big for this forum. If you are a Mac user, I suggest you install Little Snitch and watch how many times Apple phones home per minute and from how many different services and applications. You are on the grid full time and fully locatable within minutes every time you open your Mac unless you install Little Snitch and lock it down very tight. This is without iCloud enabled or the App Store or iTunes turned on.

For Windows, look up “Windows 10 telemetry” or “Windows 10 privacy” in any search engine. Even this banal article give you a starting point of what you are up against.

Again, online privacy and American spyware built into every OS is a very big topic. I really object to you dismissing it with a wave of the hand like that. As an IT expert, you really should know better.

Yes I’m knee deep in the area but it was not about the fact that macOS connects to Apple but regarding which personal or other information transmitted you reacted to.

I know Windows took a fair beating but they have straighten up a bit.

But as privacy is trending perhaps we can see a better less intruding systems in the future.

So what you are saying is that you are going to stop using computers all together? Because all of these things are unavoidable… Linux is your last resort and even there big corporations are making inroads and telemetry is a thing.I suppose you also use a VPN for everything and do not use a smartphone at all?

I suggest you install a Pi-hole in your home or office and just stop worrying. You are trying to solve it at the wrong level. By the way, DxO also defaults to enabling telemetry every time you update/install.

Can we not go on the attack and make it personal? We are not politicians.

Floris, you use your real name (as I do), it’s a public profile of your activities of which you are presumably proud. Why does it bother you for people to see it?

Why should you have a free pass to be dismissive and contemptuous of people actually trying to do something about privacy?

So what you are saying is that you are going to stop using computers all together? Because all of these things are unavoidable… Linux is your last resort and even there big corporations are making inroads and telemetry is a thing.I suppose you also use a VPN for everything and do not use a smartphone at all?

I would suggest you got exactly what you deserved here – a light shone on your activities and your hypocrisy. The anti-privacy nut who explodes when his identity is revealed.

I’d suggest you go back and edit the tone and even content of your posts above if you don’t want me to call you out on said hypocrisy. You may find it a good time to reflect seriously on your views on privacy and telemetry (mandatory telemetry in the American sense is mainly a cloak to steal users privacy).

I am very much aware that this information is public, and I don’t care if people Google me at all. But injecting a random piece of (very outdated) information in a discussion and taking all kinds of conclusions based on that is “whichunt / social media mob” behavior which I despise.

Whatever anyone’s opinion is, it doesn’t warrant calling people out and making false statements about their personal lifes and beliefs. You’re wrong here.

p.s. please point me to where I say I approve of telemetry as default / without consent. I don’t.

Allow me to quote Floris van Eck again:

So what you are saying is that you are going to stop using computers all together? Because all of these things are unavoidable.

A defeatist and mocking attitude. In general you struggle to engage in dialogue, Floris. I’ve observed several times you try to prove yourself right by stating the same thing over and over again when it’s clear that the other party disagrees with you and disagrees on solid ground. I dread seeing your name on a thread I’m interested in it’s certain to get noisy very soon with very little substance. Getting the last word just annoys people. It doesn’t win the argument. Give it a rest sometimes.

2 Likes

I think we’ve gone off topic here… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Indeed.

If anyone really wants to install PL3 on Windows 7, it seems there are ways to do it. But they’re not supported in any way and might be unstable. Good luck. :smile:

As has already been said, older runtime environments - the OS and hardware - eventually become too difficult to maintain and hamper progress. When they are no longer supported, application developers must follow suit. I understand this well from professional experience: the problems are real and serious. Wanting the latest and greatest applications but sticking with a >10-year-old OS is self-defeating at some point. IMO, upgrading a computer is as necessary as upgrading a camera if one wants new features. Sometimes, though, one can stick with the old and find alternative ways to get more out of it. (Open-source software, for example.)