Photolab 3 64 bit version does not run with windows 7 64 bit

Disappointing as windows 7 support does not stop until 14 January 2020. Is there a technical reason why this had to be excluded early?

Very well said! My Windows 7 system with earlier version of PL runs extremely well so agree with you that there should be no need to consign it to landfill! Just extremely disappointed I can’t now install upgrade to PL3!

1 Like

I can follow the argument from Robert above. If I was a software developer I would not support 7 either.
It is old, will soon not even be supported by Microsoft. It would to much hassle in the future.

But I can understand the people who work with Win 7 too.

Yes there is. This software gets periodically updated with new versions throughout its life with bug fixes, new cameras and lenses, and feature enhancements. Even if they took the effort to support PL3 on the current Windows 7 platform until Microsoft completely abandons support, after January you would not be able to install any new updates once DXO stops supporting that platform. It would put DXO into a support quagmire, by ending support of PL3 on the Windows 7 platform during its active life. Users would rightly be incensed. Better to not support it from the outset.

Mark .

1 Like

Why would DxO removed its support because Apple or Microsoft removed their theoretical stamp of approval from an OS out in the wild? It makes no sense. Do you start driving your cars off cliffs when Mercedes or BMW no longer make OEM replacement parts?

PS. Sigi’s remarks about the updates have been far more annoying than yours Svetlana. It’s sad to see grown men so cowed by technology companies.

Unless DxO is using technology from the new OS which can’t be easily replicated in the previous baseline OS (Windows 7 and OS 10.11 I believe), there’s no sense in cutting off users. I’ll probably have to refund as well as I don’t want to update all my laptops from the very productive OS 10.11 and I certainly don’t want to be running two different versions of PhotoLab at the same time. The joy of PhotoLab is being able to move files around between computers and work on them everywhere, thanks to the DOP files taking priority over the database.

1 Like

I was, initially, reluctant to upgrade to Win10 (from Win7) too … mainly because I don’t like the standard Win10 user-interface; all those Tiles look far too distracting and annoying to me !

But, I made the switch some time ago - and soon found that I could adjust the UI to my liking (see here) - - and I’m now very happy with the Win10 environment.

There will be some users who need the ability to continue running 16bit apps - - so, that makes it difficult to move from Win7 … Otherwise, tho, I’d encourage you to make the switch-over.

Regards, John M

The telemetry in Windows 10 is almost impossible to turn off. Windows 10 is full time 24/7 spyware/surveillance gear.

As Windows 10 is free, Microsoft has an almost free hand in what they can put inside. So DxO is cutting its users off from an OS which can be made secure (Windows 7) to force them to bring spyware into their homes. Not nice, not cool.

I understand about not supporting Linux (there’s almost no financial rewards there and almost infinite technical pain) but the technical pain involved in supporting Windows 7 for another five to seven years would be extremely finite. If I’m wrong on a technical basis (an advised opinion from a DxO developer with specifics, not an armchair copy and paste FUD report from good corporate citizens, yes men and conformists), I’d love to hear why.

2 Likes

Security vs integrity are two different things.
EOL in Windows means less security although it can still support good integrity in the aspect that it does not call home. Though without technical security we all might find our dearly cared integrity breached anyway in the cyber related incident.

When it comes to underlying API calls they often changes together with supported systems. When one is declared legacy by the manufacturer and another newer is considered the replacement, supporting them both might mean additional workload for the app developer.

I’m not saying that is the case with DxO but there are many companies that are far more restrictive than DxO about supporting previous systems.

In the end it’s their choice to support this or that and ours to accept it or not.

I love Apples approach towards integrity and security but I still think they royally messed up a lot for us when they dropped Aperture.
Same with Google’s purchase of Nik, causing Nikon loosing CNX2.

On the other hand it meant that I choose to go with PhotoLab as main raw developer and Photo Supreme as DAM.
And I’m very happy with that now.

1 Like

There is a small piece of software called O&O Shutup10. When you enable the recommended settings, it will also disable almost all spyware, including telemetry. :slight_smile: Highly recommended.

1 Like

Good morning,

Thank you @mwsilvers Mark, these are exactly the reasons why we stops it before Microsoft. And I bet now the users of Win7 are only unhappy because they can’t upgrade but in case we stopped the support in the middle of the application life cycle they would be rather angry because they paid for this version which no longer could receive upgrades and new bodies support.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Exactly.
And from a later post:

I’d also be interested in a well-founded technical statement, but with DxO’s communication attitude (or lack thereof) we will surely never get one. :frowning:

Tilmann

1 Like

Would you be happier if DxO just announced in the install app with a checkbox that they don’t give any support on dplv3 which is installed on Win7? So you can install/run dxOv3 but every question about behaviour/troubles/will be answered with no support.

This looks good, you can use dplv3. Your responsibility to use a older OS then advised, but one tiny thing: later in the time you think your “problem” is non Win7 related and you get a “no support on win7 only win10, sorry” answer (which they announced in install texted which you checked/clicked on and forgot after a week/month/year) then you are fumed also because it’s a app issue not a OS issue so i demand support… You get in a grey area of how far is support non OS.

I run old win app’s which microsoft-w10 is deactivate\delete every major update (not compatible) because i like there way of working and that is my own decision. Now you try to instal a new application which is written for W10 on a older platform that’s the other way around.
(will it run yes i think nearly all will work but there is no guaranty and warranty and there lies the key.)

So yes i understand that you like to make the decision of install or not and not be limited by blocking install due OS version, but i also understand dxO’s decision not to support and let be able to install on older OS which is EOL-ed by the manufacturer.

Will future lens/body modules work with PL2 or is PL2 now ‘not supported’?

Mike,
Good question. I am certain the answer is that PL2 will get no more updates.
Cheers, Joseph

I’m not sure if new Modules count as Updates?

Hello,

PL2 won’t be updated with the new bodies since now. All the new bodies will be delivered with PL3.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Well, this attitude is why my copy of PhotoLab 3 really must be returned then. Better strategy:

Allow customers to choose their own OS and not just impose the latest OS on users to make life more convenient for developers.

I’m really annoyed not to get PhotoLab 3. I like PhotoLab 2 enough and use it strategically enough (not expecting more from PhotoLab than it can reasonably give) that I’ll get over it. Sometime in the future I might upgrade to PhotoLab 4 or even PhotoLab 3 on a discount when my primary OS corresponds with DxO’s system requirements again.

I am a Mac user and do not know Window 7 but what is so special about it that I want to have such an old OS which not even Microsoft will support any longer. Is it maybe because some special software does not run on newer OS?

Thanks very much but I’d like to continue to use PhotoLab on El Capitan and not have to update all my work computers from my productivity OS and fight additional spyware from Apple.

Each version of each OS from Apple and Microsoft strangles privacy ever further. Sigi, you are a frog slowly being boiled alive. If you don’t care about privacy (I’d be surprised as I believe you are German) I do. Not only that but all these totally unnecessary (when did the last OS feature I cared about come out, about seven years ago maybe) system updates are a huge productivity drain.

Amazingly enough there’s almost a one to one correspondence with the advent annual OS updates and an annual drop off of knowledge worker productivity of about 15%. DxO didn’t use to participate in this latest OS stupidity (cross-platform app, not dependent on latest frameworks). Sorry to see another good company lost to conventional thinking.

Hi Alec

Which are your privacy related concerns in the newer macOS and/or PhotoLab?

I know Microsoft have taken a beating for not respecting the users privacy but they have really shaping up and are not as nosy as they used to be.
What do they neglect in your opinion when it comes to privacy?
I’m not mainly a windows user.