Photolab 2 Upgrade

I have Photolab installed on my iMac. Does Photolab 2 install on top of Photolab hence retaining preferences and custom workspaces? Thanks.

I can’t speak to what might happen on an iMac, but I installed PL 2 on a different drive on my Windows 10 PC than PL 1.2 was on, and the previous version was still active and unavailable. I don’t know whether it would have been if I had installed it on the same drive but I’m guessing it might have been. In any case, installing Photolab 2 on a different Drive still picked up all the settings and preferences that I had in Photolab 1.2

The MacOS version installs as a separate application and takes over preferences and database from PL1 on first start.

This means you can run both versions side by side from then on without any problems and without one version overwriting settings of the other.

My concern would be the sidecar files (.dop) that PhotoLab creates. If PhotoLab 2 finds a sidecar file from the previous version of PhotoLab will it overwrite the file?
Ideally, it would save the original sidecar file with a different extension or move it to a subfolder of the original folder.

Perhaps we could get some clarification on this from DxO staff?

1 Like

Good point. I didn’t mean you should edit the same photos, but just to evaluate the trial version. To avoid any risk you could disable the automated export of .dop files.

[quote=“jmcsaky, post:4, topic:5159”]
My concern would be the sidecar files (.dop) that PhotoLab creates. If PhotoLab 2 finds a sidecar file from the previous version of PhotoLab will it overwrite the file?[/quote]

PhotoLab 2 seems to be less invasive than PhotoLab 1. As far as I see, it doesn’t change dop files anymore by just looking at a directory.

But as soon as you modify the settings with PL2, it makes the dop file unusable for PL1.

(why doesn’t the forum software allow two quote blocks in a posting??

I’m afraid it’s not that easy.

In PL2, if you click on optic roadmap(if still there) or submit a lens request, does it bring you still to error 404 page not found?
Is there any other optic to be added or is that option in end loop?

@mikerofoto,
The link (click-through) from the program used to work in v1.2. I used it more than once.

It now redirects to the “updated” website, so it’s broken in both versions it seems.

Old URL was: https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/dxo-optics-modules-suggestion-form/

I suggest you submit a ticket with an image sample. I got a new lens added in about 2 weeks after I submitted earlier this year. Turnaround times can vary, but if you give the dev team what they need, it usually happens as long as the lens is “main stream”.

I sent 2-3 request for Sigma 500mm f4 Sport about a year ago, still waiting.

1 Like

This link problem keeps being repeated. It went on for a long time in former versions.