PhotoLab 2.3

Hi all,

Version 2.3 has added E-M1X support, which is working fine, thanks! :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve also noticed that the sudden change in visible detail when going to 75% zoom seems to have disappeared, it looks as though the image is now much sharper at lower zoom levels, which is also great!

One last observation is that the crop tool appears much more quickly with OpenCL support enabled, previously, I had to disable OpenCL to get the crop tool to open quickly. The crop tool has also stopped opening with the entire image selected, instead I just need to draw a box round the area of interest.

From my perspective after about 30 minutes of use, this version is working really well and has got rid of several niggles that I was experiencing. :+1::+1::+1:

Regards, Peter

When was version 2.3 released?

For the last two hours … and Nik collection 2.
Pascal

Hi all,

One thing that may have confused my crop tool observation is that its behaviour seems to depend on whether it is already enabled by the profile when the image is selected or whether it is disabled and subsequently enabled by hand. In the former case it seems to occupy the whole image and in the latter it just occupies whatever shape is drawn with the mouse.

For some reason, I’m also now seeing more difference in detail level when zooming from lower zooms to 75%+ It’s possible that this is down to having previously attempted to view these E-EM1X images with v2.2.3, which it ignored because it had no E-M1X support.

Anyway, best for others to report their experiences so we can get a good feel for the bug fixes.

Regards, Peter

I see absolutely no difference in zooming. PhotoLab 2.3 on Windows still does not supply sharpening at zoom levels below 75%.

Mark

1 Like

Am still getting dop’s left after deletion but again no idea if this has been fixed in this version?

A second edit went OK so will have to see if still there in future. Its pity all we get is catch all miner bugs fixed. The Affinity update out to day also had a very detailed list of changes and fixes which, apart from they actually have a lot of improvement which PL has been lacking for a long lime, gave the fixes made…

At the risk of sounding annoying, when will we get any of the new features promised when and after we updated to version 2 as so far there has really been almost nothing for the upgrade price we paid unless you needed a camera or lens added since then (or with 2.3 you use NIK).
From a look at the Nik forum many are feeling much the same over the version 2 of that as many of us have felt over the miner update in PL version 2. When DXO will these improvements we were told were ready a long time ago actually be released?

I’m not interested in participating in another negative thread regarding the lack of new and upgraded functionality that we’ve been expecting for 6 months, but I have to admit, version 2.3 is pretty disappointing unless there is something I’m missing.

As a retired software developer I know that adding the Nik Collection pop-up and link functionality is pretty minor in the scheme of things, as it only goes a step further than the already existing Export to Application functionality. Beyond that, once again there is nothing obviously new or upgraded. I’m frustrated, but not annoyed. I believe its a case of the lack of available resources rather then lack of interest in implementing new functionality. It’s an unfortunate reality for small software companies, especially for one going through financial difficulties.

I think they are currently more focused on marketing version 2 of the Nik Collection with a free version of DXO PhotoLab Essential to bring in many more new users and an influx of much needed cash. This could appeal to a wider Nik audience and, at the same time, introduce those users to PhotoLab with potential future updates to the Elite version. They needed a vision and approach like this to keep DXO solvent. They don’t make any money on point upgrades to PhotoLab. One can either be willing to support them or not. I love their products, even though I’m frustrated by the lack of new features, and have chosen to continue to support them .

Mark

5 Likes

Well thought thrue comment Mark.
I have made a mental reminder to myself to wait for v3.0.
Before i mark the “promised” new stuff in the software be present or not.
I hope and expect that DxO get the pace back they need to expand there userbase to fund research and development.
No use to bash and trash repeatetly things you don’t like.
The vote banner to choose between two things is promising for communication purposes.
So i hope they give feedback about the result.

For now i just sit back and enjoy the things that come when they come.

3 Likes

That’s my current attitude as well. I enjoy using DXO’s software very much and it’s worth the wait for me.

Mark

3 Likes

Yep - Ditto here too.

John M

Being new to DXO Photolab I just bought it because the are now supporting my Canon EOS RP. The only other software I know of is Lightroom, but donot want to go the subscription model. I’m a Capture One user for many years but they won’t advise you of anything upcoming until it’s out. That left me to search elsewhere for a RAW processor. So far I’m liking the many features that Photolab offers.

1 Like

Markoc,
welcome to DPL and welcome in the forum.

I noticed that when exporting to disk, the checkboxes next to each of the export settings is now gone! If I want to export multiple images (for instance, different sized images for a web gallery), I have to export each size separately now. Whereas before it would export every variation that was checked.

Please bring that functionality back because my workflow has taken a substantial hit now and makes things much, much slower!

Daniel,

I can still select multiple export settings via the check boxes on my Windows installation of PL 2.3
are you on a Mac?

Joseph

Yes, on a Mac. Here’s a screenshot for reference. You’ll notice the checkboxes are missing now.

Hello Daniel,

then something is wrong. I am also on a Mac and I have the checkboxes.
Sigi

Daniel,

clearly, it is not a bug. Have you tried closing PL and restarting? That is always the first step I try when encountering unexpected issues.

Joseph

Really strange, for me on Mac 10.3.6 latest PL 2.3 also all fine, means all checkboxes shown.

Hello @dlewand691,

First, please, check if your license is still Elite. And second, if it’s Elite and after restarting of the app you still do not have the checkboxes, please report a bug in the Mac section of the forum to have the faster solution.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

So I’ve restarted and still don’t have the checkboxes. I’m using the Elite bundle, 2.3.0 build 38. I’ll report it as a bug in the Mac section. Thanks all!

1 Like