Photo distorted when opened with DXO PhotoLab 3 even after disable all presets and lens correction

Hello.

It may be stupid question as I never experienced this and found nowhere to turn off.

When I open photo with DXO PhotoLab 3, the photo is distorted.
Even I applied preset 4 - No Correction and made sure that the lens correction option is turned off, the photo still distorted.
Photo imported to other software such as Lightroom is not.
(See the attached photo. The left is opened with Lightroom, the right is DXO PL3, latest ver.)

Is this issue caused by the camera already apply lens correction and PL3 apply again hence distortion?

Or is it caused by unsupported optic module?

Is there any simple workaround? (as opposed to manually apply correction to counter this miscorrection as I tried and the result if more horrible.)

This phenomenon is normal.
You are opening a raw file from a new generation DC which requires computer image correction.
According to your personal wish PL shows you the “real” picture.

You must make sure to use PL with optical correction.

Pascal

NB you should never use PL without preset.

How can I achieve this?

How come this is “real” picture since the preview shown on the camera’s screen is not distorted and same photo imported to Lightroom with no preset applied also is not distorted and appear as same as what shown in camera? Only in PL it is distorted.

Pascal

Because your DC panel preview and Lr add digital correction.
PL add too except when you unckeked it.

Pascal

1. DETAIL / Lens sharpness is greyed out. Cannot select.
  2. This lens does not have optic module yet.

OK.
More difficult.
https://help-photolab3.dxo.com/en/detail-2-3

Pascal

Using Presets 1. The result is the same.

Because you have to download the module.
http://tuto.dxo.free.fr/EN/Efficacite/Efficiency.html#A1_Les_Modules_Optiques

Pascal

The module is not yet available for my lens as I stated earlier.
That’s why I asked this workaround question from the beginning.

Yes.
I seen PL 3.1 but not 2020-02 :frowning:

In this case, read my post #7

https://help-photolab3.dxo.com/en/detail-2-3

Pascal

That looped back to my very first question: is there nothing I can do to get PL to leave the same digital correction that come out of the camera, like the Lightroom and other softwares did?

Also the distortion is different for each focus length: heavy barrel at 16mm and heavy pincushion at 50mm, for example. What is the point for manually correct the distortion every single photo when the photos already have perfectly fine distortion corrected only to be removed by this software?

In the meantime, use JPEG images with DC corrections embeded :frowning:

Pascal

If I use JPEG, there is no need for me to use DXO entirely. :sweat: as noise are already reduced (in a bad way) and I only use DXO mainly for it’s super PRIME noise reduction. This is what I’m willing to paid for since PL1. There is no software in the market that comparable with NR feature.

I share your disappointment but February 2020 is coming soon :wink:
In the meantime keeps your raw files :smiley:
Pascal

1 Like

Unfortunately this is what happens for any new camera/new lens buyers - it takes a while for corrections to be implemented.

What’s new for Nikon Z6/7 and Z50 is that lens corrections are included in the RAW files. Adobe has an arrangement w/ Nikon that makes it easier/quicker for them to take advantage of the lens corrections. I (and others) encountered the same thing last year when the Z6/Z7 were introduced. As Pascal says, in the meantime keep your raw files.

This is quite an irresponsible reasoning. Not being to edit RAW file is nearly = not using DSLR/Mirrorless. Fortunately I don’t work as photographer; it just for fun. Otherwise if I work and found that my main software not usable for 3 months I will quit the business.

I had used Lightroom, Pixemator, Affinity, etc, for 10+ years and never had this kind of problem. Not to mention sluggish usage: slow to edit, slow to import, slow to switch images, etc. which is user experience nightmare. (Guess what: I never had these problems too with other software.) And also not compatible with every new macOS for months. (This one you cannot blame Apple. They have a thing call Developer Beta. No excuse not to support from day one release.)

Be it not the NR algorithm unlike other software, I will not pay $80 every year for unreliable software like this.

As I tried to say above, it is normal that new camera bodies/lenses are not usually supported right away by software companies (not just DxO, but others such as C1). See for example this link from a year ago re Nikon Z6: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62106567. If (all) camera companies freely shared their lens correction data this wouldn’t be an issue, but they don’t because of perceived competitive advantage.

What’s new is that more and more camera companies (not just Nikon) are designing lenses with software correction required, because it allows better image quality as a result. The downside is that it takes software companies such as DxO and C1 time to reverse engineer the corrections. As far as I know, only Adobe Lightroom has had the advantage of prior access to this data for Nikon Z cameras and lenses, because they made (paid for, I assume) prior arrangements with Nikon. That’s why (only) Lightroom currently provides lens corrections for the Z50. Not an ideal situation, but that’s the way it is until the other companies engineer the needed lens corrections. For what it’s worth I find DxO lens corrections superior.

2 Likes

+1
I complete what JCH says;
Lr applies manufacturer’s corrections without any improvement.
Pascal

Improvement that people cannot use is zero value.