Perspective tooi in portrait orientation - DXO Photolab

With a thousand apologies as I am sure my inability to solve this is my fault, but it isn’t for want of searching.

When I take a frame in portrait orientation the two lines in the force parallel tool are horitonal not vertical. That is they are parallel to the short edge of the frame - correct in landscape but unhelpful in portrait. I can’t find how to make them vertical in a portrait frame, ie parallel to the long edge of the frame.

With thanks, and apologies for the stupidity

Welcome Andrew
There are no silly questions here :smiley:

• Rotate your image (Ctrl+ R)
  • Launch force parallel tool
  • Un-Rotate your image (Ctrl+ L)

Pascal

Now that’s just silly :crazy_face:

@andrew.skinner all you need to do is move the handles on the lines to the lines in the image you want to be parallel

1 Like

There are several possibilities

5 Likes

Thanks. The rotate, force, rotate back works well but I prefer the 8-point tool which I had hithero overlooked. This latter will be spot on for me.

You can also simply do not take care of the default lines displayed and directly draw them where you want.
And this is true for all tools of this palette, and Horizon.

For me it only works with the horizon tool

I’m on Mac, perhaps not true for Windows?

Perhaps yes, i’m on Win

That works for me (Photolab 5 on Mac)

Sadly this doesn’t work on windows.

Wether my pic is in portrait or landscape orientation, the force parallel lines always turn up vertically,
(what they should do – and I can grab & move them where ever I want).

Check, if you have set your cam to play back ‘portrait pics’ vertically without the need to turn the cam. That’s the only thing I can image.

I did wonder about that but the images show right way up in camera. I’ll have another look at this having dismissed it initially.

A handy tip (on Windows version) is to activate the Perspective tool by clicking on the “Magic Wand” - and then click on your sub-tool of choice (say, Force Parallel) - and PL will auto-place the the guide lines … which it often does quite well - typically useful as a valid starting point.

John M

1 Like

…works on Macs too. You can use the dropdown selector of the perspective tool to select vertical, horizontal or full correction.

I often use the perspective tool by selecting the type of correction first and then clicking on the magic wand. Sometimes, the tool places the lines in strange places, but that’s easily corrected by dragging the lines to where I want them.

Another tip - for a bit more authenticity - is to set the intensity slider at 75% … It avoids making the correction look fake … and can be easily be increased if that’s what the circumstance requires.

John M

2 Likes

I never make (architectural) verticals truly vertical in the image frame, if the view point is below the midpoint of the building. If you make them truly vertical, the building looks as if it’s leaning towards you. A common fault even in professional architectural photography - and yet the Ancient Greeks understood this feature of forced perspective.

By the way I’ve had no similar problems with the perspective frame tool. Maybe it’s something to do with the way Fuji (if Andrew is who I think) identifies rotated images?

2 Likes

It was always standard advice in film days to not completely correct verticals and indeed I don’t. I use the slider.

Nigel has identifed me, and I’ve just got the same effect with a Nikon (D200) file.