Over the past few months, I’ve received quite a few comments on my website and YouTube Channel complaining about the poor performance of PhotoLab. It’s easy to suspect a hardware problem but then I also had the same issue. Photolab went from having similar performance to Lightroom to being unusable, often taking minutes to reflect a simple change. I couldn’t even browse through my folders and the software would also crash from time to time. This happened on both my Mac and Windows versions.
I finally tracked down the problem and a fix which worked for me and others.
In brief, when I checked my Preferences, I found they had been changed to apply a “DxO Standard” adjustment to all discovered images. Additionally, they were set to auto generate a dop file every time there was an adjustment. Something, possibly these setting or their effect, changed during an upgrade. When I changed my preferences, the software was back to normal.
I have also documented the fix in my blog (https://lenscraft.co.uk/photography-blog/photolab-performance-problem/) in case the above isn’t sufficient.
If any DxO staff read this, please fix this in a future release. I think it’s costing you customers.