Performance issues with local adjustments in PL 5

Background info:
Hi I’m using DXO Photolab 5 for quite some time now and recently I switched to the Fujifilm X-T5 with 40mp files. I use the lossless compressed RAW files from roughly 30 - 40 MB each.

I edit in batches (50 photos per folder) to keep performance as good as possible.

These are the details about the PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
RAM: 16.0 GB
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Issue:
When I’m editing and I’m using the Local Adjustments, the computer gets really slow. During the process I often have to wait 10 seconds or more. Photolab is also slow when I’m switching from Local Adjustments to Crop.

I understand that I’m using large 40 mp files and that my PC hardware is not excellent, but when I use Lightroom or Camera Raw, the editing process is much more fluent.

I’m wondering if there’s something I can do to get better results:

• Would a better video card help?
  • Are there some important settings? (I keep ‘prefer high quality previews’ unchecked)
  • Is there a noticable difference between PL 5 & 6?

To be clear: I’m not talking about export time, only making adjustments within Photolab.

First thing: does the slowness disappear if you restart PhotoLab? (Local Adjustments and other tools using masks get slower over time if PhotoLab is left to run. I’ve continued to report this behavior but DxO seems to be having a hard time figuring out the cause.)

There are numerous things to check. Your RAM might not be enough for all that you’re doing on your computer at the time. Make sure that your virtual memory / swap is automatically managed or (better) set high. If you’re not using a fast SSD, this will result in slower paging/swapping. Also, in PhotoLab’s Preferences, set the cache size as high as possible. Turn on OpenCL to see if that makes a difference. Update your system and video drivers.

I think PL6 runs more smoothly than PL5, but there’s no way to be sure that it will be faster for you unless you try it.

A better video card with more RAM on it might help.

1 Like

Have a look at this reply and indeed topic.
Possibly similar to your issue and seemed to find a work around/solution.