Panorama/ phot stitching in Raw

I don’t know what you exactly mean with “to each individual”. Do you mean selecting all of them and then doing the changes or doing the changes one by one? In general I don’t think it’s wise to change the individual files.
What do you mean with original raw files?
Off topic. Yesterday I saw a due to the whether postponed firework show with over 200 drones. What amazing!! Just a google seacrh vuurwerk a'dam toren - Recherche Google
And the drone organisation Drone Stories - About our drone show company - Drone Stories

George

Sorry - what I mean is, following the advice of other forums, is that I create a preset in Photolab, apply the same preset to all 3 / 21 images of the panorama, then export them. This creates DXO labelled DNG files, and leaves the original DNG’s in place.

When I then try to merge the DXO labelled DNG’s into a panorama, they rarely work correctly, whereas the original do. I’ve started creating the pano’s using the originals and applying the Photolab preset to that pano file, exporting as TIFF. This is giving me a decent result, but I was just wondering if anyone else notice the DXO files failing to stitch correctly.

I live in the UK and watched the fireworks in London, which also included an impressive drone display :wink:

I’m no expert on pano’s. But what is the idea of using DNG and not TIFF?

George

Just did a set of 5 for a pano.

All same adjustments in DxO and export them as Tiff
Stitch them in Microsoft ICE (which I learned about on here) and export as Tiff
Finish off in Affinity and export as jpg

Have also stitched previously in ON1 and Affinity

Not had a problem with any stitching (expect where my shots were crap… but that isn’t anyones fault except mine!

I shoot a LOT of multishot images. Mostly panoramic (though not necessarily horizontal, I may cover larger areas by moving camera), exposure bracketing to HDR as needed, sometimes play with focus areas. I do most of my processing in LR6 and boy how easy and quick it pops new DNGs to catalogue! Obviously LR cannot do all multiexposure operations but what it does it does with ease. I would hate to prepare images separately and fiddle separate app to join them. (OK, I sometimes do when I need some special effect, or when I need to use PL for some processing LR cannot do.)

For unknown reason and probably unrelated to DxO PL6, I found that if I did any distortion correction, or if I exported using TIFF, my stitching in Affinity Photo 2 will be worse and I could see clear mark of stitching.

If I omit the distortion correction and export JPG, it works much better.

That’s maybe because Affinity Photo can read and apply manufacturer’s lens profiles contrary to DxO. Or maybe not and Affinity uses own profiles.

Two profiles added will just make the image double corrected, the result is as bad as without any correction, just in the opposite direction, pincushion becomes barrel distortion and vice versa.

I also recall AP to be able to stitch panos from RAW, and for some subjects AP’s RAW developer is rather good.

I believe AP demosaices the raw image with the standard settings and then stitch them and save as a RGB image. Isn’t it?

George

“I also recall AP to be able to stitch panos from RAW, and for some subjects AP’s RAW developer is rather good.”

It can, and I have used it from time to time, but then you lose the advantage of some of DxOs tools as the finished pano is either TIFF or DNG

Well, what else can you do? Capture One also does Panos. Nice ones. Heavy ones. It combines two 100 MB DNGs to a DNG pano with 635 MB - and no connection or update way to the source files. Or 7 DNGs to a 1.35 GB pano. Heavy stuff. If you see a slimmer way to get a RAW pano, just pen it down and forward it to DxO devs.

EDIT: You made me try the 7 DNGs directly in AP. I tried with 7 360 MB TIFs before in AP, stitching problems did occur.
Not so with the source DNGs. Outcome was an AP file with 1.27 GB plus some repaired spots at the borders which AP also did rather well. AP delivered 201 MP, the cropped C1 result is sharper and has better details than the one AP made of the (else not edited) DNGs. And has 225 MP, although some spots are very hard to heal with the restore brush.
The healing of the gaps in the cropped pano worked best in AP when it could deal with the source files.