Panorama/ phot stitching in Raw

Possibility to stitched Raw photos to create panorama in DXO lab environment. I do landscape photography using télé objectif and sticking multiple view to create a single high resolution panorama. Today doing in a third party sw when I import Tiff file I’m losing some functionality in DXO like AI noise reduction.

You can always treat all the separate component images identically, including noise reduction, in PL and then merge the resulting exported TIFF files

2 Likes

It is a misconception that you can stitch RAW files. Raw files have to be demosaiced before they can be stitched and even Lightroom does this.

The best option is as Joanna suggests, this is what I do and get great results.

Also, please be aware of the usefulness of forum searching. This feature request has been duplicated to death. It’s counterproductive to keep creating new ones to vote for.

Search results for ‘panorama stitch #dxo-photolab:feature-requests’ - DxO Forums

Thanks Joanna, yes it is the work around to achieve the result. It it just not as efficient as having all in one sw feature. And still need to rely on 3rd party SW. :wink:
Has the section is feature request I described what I’m interested in to see in DXO.

Hi Egregius, sorry just registered to this forum and not yet use to all tools attached to it.

Thanks KeithRJ.
I’ not into internal SW and the way it process the stitching, but more to have that feature in DXO to be all in one and reduce operation and go a back actions. Agreed with Joanna work around, My suggestion was to have all in one SW to optimize process time and needed SW.

1 Like

It is often “horses for courses”. Photolab’s lens correction is the best ob the market and I find it essential to do lens correction before stitching. If you have very noisy images (unlikely for panoramas) then Photolab Elite’s DeepPrime noise reduction is also the best on the market. These two options make Photolab ideal as a starting point for stitching panoramas.

My workflow is:

1. Lens correction and simple adjustments if the image is not the best to start with.
  2. Copy ALL these adjustments to ALL the images using the copy and paste functionality.
  3. Export to Application where I setup my stitching app as the target. The output is either DNG or 16-bit tiff. Make sure you use the best quality output to send to the stitching app.
  4. Stitch the panorama and export back to the same directory as the originals. Do not crop to remove black borders.
  5. Photolab will see the new file and you can perform any other editing you wish in Photolab.

I sometimes use Affinity Photo to fill in corners where the stitching leaves black borders. I also use Affinity Photo’s excellent Mesh Warp function to straighten horizons etc.

Hope this helps.

So, that’s like wanting PhotoLab to be able to write the invoices for your customers, play background music whilst you are working, etc.

In the kitchen, I have a multitude of tools, because my frying pan can’t cut food up and my food mixer can’t boil vegetables, etc.

@KeithRJ describes the best workflow. Because, for DxO to re-invent the stitching wheel would mean devoting a team to so doing, and would take some time and effort, especially since most apps out there have several years head start and are using AI already.

Indeed. Affinity Photo has so much more added functionality to support stitching that it would take even longer for DxO to implement all that.

As has already been noted, this is an old chestnut. As well as the many specific feature requests there is a recent rebuttal of the idea within this topic:

Affinity Photo is a great way to stitch panoramas. It is one of the easier things to do in Affinity. I have used it on CR3 Raw files, corrected and exported from DXO in Tiff and other formats. Affinity is not expensive. DXO need not duplicate this function. There are many other things that need attention.

3 Likes

This is a function that, whether people like it or not, is becoming a standard feature of a raw converter/image editor.

As others have pointed out you don’t actually stitch raw images, most software is using dng, but you are staying within the raw editor which is very convenient.

Pano stitching within Photolab would benefit from the superior lens corrections and, if you have Viewpoint, then the new Mesh tool helps correct distortion, stretch skies into non image corners, etc. and actually becomes very useful. Along these lines the improved repair tool will also be valuable.

I think it would be a win for DXO to implement this feature and help remain competitive in the market.

In the same vein adding HDR support would be another win. One of the problems with HDR is noise and DeepPrime is most valuable. Given DXO know have the Wide Gamut colour space and already have the computer code for HDR from NIK-HDR, this should be relatively easy?

2 Likes

Which is why stitching panos are always going to be ‘hard’ for PL. PL is first and foremost a RAW converter, it is not a pixel based editor.

1 Like

You have to keep up with the competition and the way the world is going.
C1 is one of the most Pro raw converters on the market, well the price is certainly Pro :grinning:, and C1 does both pano and HDR as does LR, ON1 etc.
One of DXO’s newest capabilities is the mesh warp tool which is firmly in pixel editor territory. So, pano and HDR are no longer such a stretch?

1 Like

We can still use pigeons for messaging instead of smartphone … no comment Joanna.

I agree with you lanS.

1 Like

Thanks KeithRJ. Yes

Agree IanS.
DXO engineers has proven how good they can be with the Raw development.
I can understand resources and priority management like any company but today most of the RaW Sw offer this function.
It is product positioning versus new comer like Afinity, On1 which remained in the same range of price but offering slightly more feature.
DXO has the best RaW converter, the best noise cancelled, time to move to other domains like stitching, HDR, AI mask and so on

1 Like

The Lack of STitching and HDR is one of the reasons I am stuck with C1…I am finding PL6 great for somethings, but clunky for others…Yes there is a “workaround” but that involves $$ and simplicity is the key

Interesting to find threads like this and others while searching for answers to my own issue.

I’ve been following the suggestion to make changes to each individual RAW file in Photolab for my drone panoramas, then exporting to stitch in Lightroom or Microsoft ICE. I noticed that quite a few sets of Photolab processed file, be it in 3’s for vertical or 21’s for horizontal pano’s, were failing to stitch in either software option successfully - leaving frames out of the final result.

Out of interest, I decided to try some of the original RAW files (non - Photolab) and they all stitched perfectly. I can obviously use the resulting pano’s from that to then apply edits in Photolab and export as Tiff, but something in the Photolab processing stage doesn’t agree with either Lightroom or ICE, under my work flow at least.

Has anyone else experienced this?