Palettes won't collapse on mouse click

This issue has bugged me ever since the expand/collapse triangle (present in PL3) was removed in PL4.

In PL4, a tool would sometimes refuse to expand or collapse on first mouse click but, eventually, sometimes after several attempts, succeed.

I PL5, this now seems to be more reliable, but still not all the time and I think I have found the reason for failure - clicking on the tool label to collapse doesn’t work but clicking on the title bar next to it does.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Better still, what was wrong with the little triangle, which made it clear what was available and why can’t we have it back?

1 Like

On Win, no worries on that side, it’s 100% except when I click too fast nearby :slightly_smiling_face:

A click on the palette title will not collapse the palette. Click next to the title and it will collapse the palette.
I don’t like this implementation either.

Update: I find that tools collapse with one click - or several clicks - under circumstances that I cannot describe. Sometimes PL reacts (collapses tools) as expected and sometimes, it’s just a pain.

I do confirm also.

Thanks a lot for this « tip » clicking next to the text.

I don’t understand how someone can think of deactivate the click on the text of the title!!!

I’m also worried about the triangle removal which was so easy to use.

I always clicked next to the text. So it was never a problem for me. And I would never have thought of clicking on the text :wink:

I just fired up PL3 and found…

• Clicking on the blue checkbox activates the tool
  • Clicking on the title text activates the tool
  • Clicking on the title bar next to the text does nothing
  • Clicking on the triangle expands or collapses the tool
    –this is the most logical, obvious and self-documenting way of achieving this behaviour as it matches the standard behaviour of Finder and many other expand/collapse scenarios.

PhotoLab 4

• Clicking on the title text expands/collapses the tool, but sometimes needs more than one click, sometimes several
  • Clicking on the title bar next to the text expands/collapses the tool, but sometimes needs more than one click, sometimes several
  • The triangle doesn’t exist

PhotoLab 5

• Clicking on the title text expands/collapses the tool, but not if the mouse gets moved during the click, after which, the tool flickers as if it has been moved and then it refuses to respond to further clicks until the title bar next to the text has been clicked. This is particularly noticeable with a touch sensitive Apple Magic Mouse.
  • Clicking on the title bar next to the text expands/collapses the tool, but sometimes needs more than one click, sometimes several.
  • The triangle doesn’t exist

Conclusion

Life was a lost simpler when you could only click on the triangle to expand/collapse a tool and clicking on either the blue checkbox or the title text (de)activated it.

2 Likes

In Windows 11, PL 5.1.2, clicking on the title text or to the right expands/contracts the palette/tool. Clicking on the toggle to the left of the palette/tool activates or deactivates it.

Seems to work pretty consistently on my laptop.

I have never had an issue with this on Windows and in fact I like the current setup without the expand/collapse triangle as it was more difficult to click due to its small size.

You know, I’m sure I posted this in the Mac section :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sure! Just pointing out that Windows does not have the same issue :thinking:

Hello,
at the moment I’m on Mac and contrary to the statement of @Joanna I have the little triangle
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-28 um 11.17.14

Click on text, or left/right to the text expands/collapses the tool.
Clicking on the triangle or the sandwich left to the triangle shows

Could someone on windows with DPL5 check if the triangle/sandwich shows the same context menu. If not we must activate Agent Difference :grinning:

Forgot…I’m on
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-28 um 11.25.18

Palettes still have the triangle, but the tools don’t have it any more. @Joanna must be talking about the tools rather than the palettes…

Indeed. Sorry for the confusion. I have now edited my posts to remove the reference to palettes

Ohhhh kay :innocent:

I second that.
And you can find some other posts from me about issue I had with a Wacom tablet, thinking that perhaps it was due to this device. But Wacom support found no issue, and from DxO support I had no resolution.

Now, we know why, and this new method is not at all user friendly.
Perhaps @StevenL could have a look at this?

BTW, I’ve just rechecked what I had indicated in previous posts. If I click on the palette group title, it expand/collapse well. Also clicking next to the title of it.

So same question, why it is ok with Palette group and not with tools?

Just made a small video…
PS: I do not stop clicking around, even when the palette do not close/open.

Good morning @m-photo / Marc

I could not reproduce this event on my Mac ???

So all is working and also clicks to the toolbar text or the toolbar empty area expands/ collapses the toolbar.

Have a nice day

I have the feeling the tool thinks we start a draging movement of the pallet in this exact situation. Maybe the delay “before dragging” can be adjusted a bit ?

This happens when several events are used on the same (or close enough) object(s)… clic, drag, …

That’s funny or interesting or both :joy:
Well, if you insist, we might need to find out if there are differences between our macOS or screen resolution :grimacing:

Actually, I don’t feel like doing software testing full-time, also since it doesn’t seem to be much good as input for software development :grinning:

Yes, the tools can move easily, which I find very annoying.