Oversharpening

So I should buy PhotoLab if I want to choose my own level of sharpening, instead of just a toggle in PureRAW? Does PhotoLab do everything PureRAW does, and also gives additional options? If so then I’ll just look at buying that and forget PureRAW since I need more sharpness control than just a toggle.

In a nutshell, if I own PhotoLab I don’t need PureRAW correct?

1 Like

that’s correct

1 Like

I took the same picture into both PR and PL5 to see if I could replicate the same in PL5 with the same settings shown here for the global lens sharpening and it looks that PR sometimes does more.
To get a similar result in PL5 I had to crank Luminance all the way up to 100, at least on the picture I used as a test, but even then the image is more smooth in PR

I wanted to give the software a new try, to see if the new option was OK, but unfortunately, it still considers that my trial has ended.
Too bad that updating the software for a problem that was a showstopper doesn’t allow users to try again a 30 days period to see if the solution is satisfying or not.

Specular highlights sure like the use of Pure RAW. A workaround, something none of us like…I post the ‘corrected’ image and the original in PS. I then paint out what I don’t want or use the Flow or Opacity of the brush to dial it in. Clicking to achieve the perfect image is the dream of newbies. Working images in post is part of the fun!

I’ve no problem working on an image, but working juste to try to lower the sharpening that has been added at some point of the process is just a lost of time.

I much prefer being able to choose the amount of sharpening I want to add to my images.

Sharpening is one of the operations that is the most difficult to correct afterwards, that’s why a software that does a pre-processing should be very very cautious on the sharpening level applied.

It’s very easy to add some afterward if needed (in Lightroom for instance), and it’s almost impossible to get it right if you want less

PureRaw should have different sharpening levels applied wether you choose a jpeg output (final image) or if you use it only for preprocessing (Linear dng)

3 Likes