Oversharpening

Due to this oversharpening issue, I decided to evaluate PL 4. PL 4 gives much more reasonable sharpening results with its default settings. However, if I increase the “global lens sharpness” slider in PL 4 to its maximum position, I get the same exaggerated sharpening results that PureRAW gives. This seems like a bug in PureRAW, I hope it’s not what was intended.

I think I’m going to purchase PL 4 as a Raw file front-end instead of PureRAW despite being more expensive - it gives much more usable results.

1 Like

PhotoLab is also a full featured raw processor. You may find you can edit many of your images completely in PhotoLab 4. If you purchase it, make sure you get PhotoLab 4 Elite.

Mark

3 Likes

After playing with it, I agree. I was planning to use PureRAW as a front end to RawTherapee, since RT’s primary weaknesses are in demosaicing and noise reduction, but PureRaw’s oversharpening is a headache to deal with, and disabling the modules sacrifices other useful features. With PL4, there’s enough feature overlap that I can probably replace RT completely.

3 Likes

+1 on the (over) sharpening. Also agree that disabling modules is only a part work around because of losing the Lens Profiles.

2 Likes

Hi, An easy test might be to look at some ISO bracketed tests images (0EV = perfect exposure, then one at -1 EV and one at -2 EV) shot in Manual mode, in several softwares.
Shutter speed and aperture being constant, sensor receives same light amount resulting is same exposure (ISO being gain only)

Softwares applying camera adjustments will show two underexposed images (Olympus Workspace - although undoable within the +2EV slider margin) and FastRawViewer (in grid mode), for instance, but

Adobe Bridge, DxO Photolab4 (within secs) and FastRawViewer (in full screen mode) will show same exposure for the three images (provided the one at 0EV was not underexposed) and confirmation is given in Adobe Camera Raw where the three images absolutely look similar.

This might explain why some Olympus users are of the opinion that Tif exported from Olympus Workspace are sharper, have more contrast, other colors, etc - in case they didn’t notice/cancelled the camera adjustments chosen for eventual easier back screen viewing (same for Color Space also)

I regularly use DxO Photolab4 Elite Deep Prime and export with “Optical corrections + Denoising only” option and don’t see any oversharpening (mostly birds) - but with lens sharpness set to 0 and unsharp mask turned off.

Just checked PureRaw by curiosity and found output to be similar to Photolab4 DeepPrime one.

2 Likes

A massive +1 to this!

I beta tested PureRAW and didn’t find it that exciting at the time, but now I’ve gotten into drone photography it’s a remarkably useful tool and I’m not sure I could live without it! I process the DJI raws with PW and then load em in Capture One and it’s a night and day difference - even eliminates the ugly colour vignette problem that happens with C1.

But the killer flaw is having to disable the module corrections to avoid the horrible large-radius sharpening that looks worse than a cameraphone JPEG. Worse still, PureRAW’s output DNGs strip out the embedded lens corrections, so I get really nasty curved horizons in Capture One which can’t be corrected properly. Ruins the whole workflow for me.

This could be a fantastic tool for drone photography, but really needs some finer grained controls (plus a profile for the Mini 2, so I don’t have to use exiftool to pretend it’s a Mavic Air 1!).

I’m honestly baffled at why DXO decided to lump together sharpening with the optical corrections, especially when their setting is so massively overcooked. PureRAW would be the perfect tool for drone photographers, with their noisy, small sensors, but right now I’m not quite sure who it’s for?

4 Likes

Just for clarification, Vic:

Having Lens Sharpness (Global setting) set to 0 does not mean that lens sharpness is NOT being applied … it is, but it’s applied at the level determined by the DxO Optics Module for the specific {body+lens} used to capture the image. Settings above (or below) zero are for when you decide to override the default settings determined by the DxO Optics Module.

Yes - Unsharp Mask should not be used when an appropriate DxO Optics Module is available - it’s just there for when it’s not.

John M

3 Likes

Thanks for clarification, John. Duly noted.

2 Likes

I actually signed up to post here specifically to address the Olympus over sharpening. It’s a thing and I would love a way to tone it up or down as the image needs. That, or just turn it off completely for the .dng format.

1 Like

Hello,

we are looking to that issue.
Could you, please, upload RAWs on which you have troubles of oversharpening on upload.dxo.com under your forum name (instead of the support ticket number) and let me know when ready ? It would help for tests.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Hi, just wanted to say that I’ve also noticed this with PureRAW. The images are very aggressively sharpened, much to much for my tastes. Tested with Olympus EM-5 II, E-M1 I, PEN-F and E-PL5 with various lenses. PhotoLab 4 is my preferred software as it allows me to adjust the sharpness to my taste.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue, it seems to be fine for some shots then randomly other shots are so bad. The radius line across the clients face was bad. Had to cull again and figure out which ones need re-processing. Removing the DxO modules and I get no difference at all. Image is identical to the Raw image.

So as I am culling I am noticing that all my sigma shots (18-35mm f/1.8 Canon EF-S fit -with converter), are super over sharpened. If I disable DxO modules I get a bigger DNG file with no improvements.

Hello @vangellis.19 ,

we are studying that issue.
Could you, please, upload RAWs on which you have troubles of oversharpening on upload.dxo.com under your forum name (instead of the support ticket number) and let me know when ready ? It would help for tests.

Regards,
Marie

I created an account just to add/comment on this. I shoot with an Olympus micro four thirds camera and while DeepPrime is great, the oversharpening is too much. I really want to buy this but that’s a deal breaker. The results are also darker or underexposed from the raw files by maybe a third of a stop. That’s not a big deal, it’s the oversharpening that needs to be addressed. No specific raw file, happens to all that I’ve put through PureRaw. Please add a slider to adjust the sharpening level or to turn it off completely. Deselecting modules and lens correction shouldn’t be the solution.

3 Likes

Could you, please, upload RAWs on which you have troubles of oversharpening

I would be happy to do that, and was planning to do that, but my trial of PureRAW had expired. I now have a trial of PL4 with a few days left. If there’s a way to re-activate the PureRAW trial for a few more days, I can post some comparative images. I’m pretty sure I’m just going to buy PL4, but I could still help out if I can get the PureRAW trial re-activated.

1 Like

DxO PureRAW is exactly the product i was looking for ! The power of Deep Prime imported straight in my Lightroom workflow.
But it is unusable…

Previously with PhotoLab, i could tweak the sharpening and lens corrections before making batch exporting in Lightroom.
Now with DxO PureRAW, this basic task is impossible. All my images are way oversharpened. I will not buy this product unless it is corrected.

Such a shame, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

3 Likes

I’ve run into the oversharpening issue while trying out a Panasonic DC-ZS200. I’ve uploaded the RAW, the PR DNG, and screen grabs of PL4, at 140%, showing a particularly noticeable white halo along the edge where an almost black sunglasses case meets a lighter beige pillow behind it. The edge, in general, is not handled as well as I expected (pixilation shows up right after 140% enlargement).

I ran the same RAW file (untouched by PR) through PL4 and only DeepPRIME. The halo is not present, although I’m not thrilled with how the edge is managed there, either.

FWIW, the ZS200 uses a 1" sensor. The DxO lens correction module was applied in the runs through PR and PL4+DeepPRIME.

ATTN DxO: all files, on ticket number RBEmerson, are based on P1000037.RW2, and three screen grabs are marked as such.

2 Likes

When i am working with DJI Mavic 2 Pro Raw Photo, I am getting a badly over sharpen issue too, Please at least let as Disable the Sharpen in PureRaw

2 Likes

Same problem. The sharpening is too aggressive. Could be really useful an on/off or a low/medium/high button.
thanks

3 Likes