Output sharpenning in photolab directly

And how does it compare, in terms of sharpening quality/effectiveness, with Bicubic interpolation ?

John

Big difference is that it’s configurable vs. having a baked-in strength. I recommend downloading and playing with it on your photos to see if it’s for you!

I need this feature, too… I’m in the process of making PhotoLab my default raw converter and this is, for now, the one major issue I still have, because I never really get the sharpness right with scaled-down exported images – either they’re too soft (bicubic) or they’re oversharpened (bicubic sharper). The raw converter I’m coming from (Silkypix Developer Studio Pro) has a separate, freely adjustable unsharp-mask step specifically for saving scaled-down images, while I would already be perfectly happy with a sharpness slider to adjust the amount of sharpness added in the ‘bicubic’ interpolation.

3 Likes

I need this feature too. After some tests I really don’t like the effect of bicubic sharper, it sharpens too much. For now I am exporting full size then to resize for web I am using AcdSee where I can use a custom action with a low level of sharpening

1 Like

I find using the lens sharpness tool produces amazing results

1 Like

Yes, reducing lens sharpness (‘global’ slider) to something like -1.5 gives me about the right sharpness in downscaled images when using the ‘bicubic sharper’ setting, and that’s what I’m using these days. Problem still is that I have to increase lens sharpness again when I want a full-size JPEG.

1 Like

How many years it will take to implement better scaling algorithm like Lanczos?

You are the last RAW processor with only 2 options for image resampling…

Even free image viewers like Fast Stone Viewer offer 11 resampling algorithms.
https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

1 Like

Excellent to see this request being escalated - again.

Yes, I absolutely agree … My vote was added long ago !

1 Like

How does exporting with PL7 seem to you today?
The bicubic option still seems soft to me, while the sharper bicubic option sometimes still seems too aggressive.
How do you behave…?
I’m new to PL7 and would like to use it as a single software for everything.
Thank you

Welcome to the User Forum, Daniele.

Yes, many of us agree with you … We can only hope that DxO will (eventually!) take notice.

Thanks, we wait… :wink:

I’ve found Lanczos tend to oversharpen and add ringing artifacts/outlines to high contrast edges, which I’m allergic to.

Spline36 is better for downscaling. Sharp, yet natural looking without those dreaded dark+light outlines on edges.