Option to turn off NR in PureRaw3

I appreciate PureRaw3’s ability to select which of the lens corrections to enable, including turning off the sharpening. How about an option to turn off the noise reduction(s) which would still leave the RAW conversion and Optics modules.

The overriding reason for the existence of PureRAW is the appllication of DeepPRIME or DeepPRIME XD. These AI-based tools were designed to be applied to every raw image, regardless of the ISO setting. They work their magic just as well with low ISO images as they do with high ones. Being able to turn them off would be counterproductive and result in poorer quality output.

Mark

1 Like

Output is when the image is complete. My guess is that there is probably more than one path to “output” and different paths have different processing elements. AI does what it somebody intended it to do, and DXO AI is not always the best solution. Some of the most dreadful AI results I’ve seen have been from NR and sharpening applications – from different companies in different situations. It is up to the photographer to make the decision and adding choice would not stain DXO’s reputation.

1 Like

Granted DxO is not the final arbiter of what a user intends to do. It is definitely up to the photographer. Most of the advantage of using PureRAW is a result of DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD. I have not seen a raw image yet that cannot be improved by using one or the other. PureRAW is built around them. Perhaps PureRAW is not the proper tool for your requirements. As an alternative you might want to consider using PhotoLab Elite.

Mark

I do use PhotoLab6 Elite. And sometimes PhotoShop CS6. And Topaz applications. And Nik. I have certainly seen cases where DeepPrime and DeepPrime HD produced unacceptable results while Topaz worked better. And sometimes RAW conversions by any DXO product have not worked out as well as Iridient. PureRaw is a blunt, four-sizes-fit-all NR process that often works, but the results from which always need scrutiny. Some photos I was doing for a friend the other evening had unacceptable results when I tried the PureRaw3 sharpening. Topaz provided a lighter touch.

I’ll keep PureRaw around because it didn’t cost that much, and you never know. And for those pushing images into LightRoom, it’s a decent way of getting the DXO camel’s nose under the tent.

Remember that the choice between NR modes is also the choice of the demosaicing engine.
There is no AI in the (first) Hight Quality mode.

Pascal