Option to manually select a lensprofile

Automatic module detection is like autonomous driving: It can create accidents.

I strongly urge DxO to give their users a possibility to select the camera/lens combination manually.
To prevent false positives, automatic selection should be override-able.

One possibility would be to enable the user to select from supported combinations of

1. bodies owned or used
  2. lenses owned or used
  3. any body and any lens

I believe that most users having DPL will be able to handle a manual selection properly.

Thanks.

5 Likes

I bought the two first versions of photolab but I refuse to upgrade as they cannot a) allow to at least manually select a lens profile from another camera model, but preferably any lens profile, and b) not even supporting basic combos like Panasonic S-series cameras with official L-Mount lenses. It’s absolutely ludicrous
 they should really be ashamed. I have even requested these months ago, but nothing happens

1 Like

Hello Dxo

Will anything change in this topic? There is a Nikon Z6 module with Samyang 14mm F2.8 but I can not use it without combining with modifying the file data where the competition is one click.

2 Likes

In case picture has too few data to automaticaly detect camera+lens used to take picture it shows a small exclamation icon. It would be great if clicking that icon would allow to select one of the downloaded corrections to be applied. It could work in similar way like when you get an icon to download new additional camera+lens. Of course setting that for a list of pictures would be needed to avoid setting that one by one.

I would appreciate that feature a lot,

Thanks,

Jacek

1 Like

@jacdyj76, don’t forget to vote for your proposal.

If I remember correctly, manual selection of modules has been proposed in other threads too. I cannot find these posts though, maybe someone could add the links. Thanks!

See also:

Hi @platypus, thanks for suggestion. I was looking for something similar and could not find hence I posted as new topic.
Jacek

I use a lot of old manual focus lenses without electronic connection to the camera, mostly Minolta Rokkor lenses.

Why doesn’t PL3 allow me to apply a lens profile of my choice?

I know exactly, which autofocus lenses from Minolta and even Sony are based on the same optical formula, so their profiles would be at least “close enough”. I can download them manually, but I can’t apply them. Or am I just too stupid?

2 Likes

I have thuogt of tweaking the exif of a copy of the original and change it manualy to the camera/lens which is close and see if it will use the module and see what happens.
But this would be an easier way to compare the results.

Some people say that it works. But it’s not really practical if one uses legacy lenses every day.

It would be very easy to add the option to choose the profile and enter the aperture manually,

3 Likes

Never needed this, all my lenses are new and more or less in a optical modul of dxo. ( version I or II can be seen sometimes)

But i can see your point. If the auto select isn’t recoqnise the lens it would be usefull to manual select a certain lens and connect this to the image.

3 Likes

Hello guys,

I think there is a similar request on the Forum already. So, please link it to that post to summarize the votes.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

@sgospodarenko

I have many TIF files without lens correction.

I found a matching DxO optics module, but the TIF format does not work with DxO optics module in dxo.photolab.

It’s very painful for me.

I hope dxo.photolab can select DxO options modules manually.

1 Like

Hello,

Modules work with all formats in case lens info is properly stored and can be detected. So I guess there is something wrong with this parameter in your tiff images.

You can upload some of your images on upload.dxo.com under your name (instead of support ticket number) and I’ll have a look if you wish.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Good morning!

• Merged all in one :wink:

Regards,
Svetlana G.

3 Likes

Merging the threads is helpful but doesn’t address the request to add the feature. So I will take this opportunity to re-up the request. In addition to manual lenses, it would allow users to find a ‘best match’ when there is not a supported module and one will likely never be developed, for example using an extender (1.4x or 2x) with a Canon TS-E lens – they are physically and optically compatible, but not reported in the EXIF. Similarly, when adapting RF lenses it is possible with adapter modification to use an RF extender with an EF lens, this combination will never be supported but approximating it would be very useful for some.

3 Likes

Is there any hope this feature will be added? I use lots of EF lenses adapted to Lumix cameras.

4 Likes

I do agree with all those who would like to add manually a lens profile. As many of you I like my Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (on a Canon 5D Mark IV but also on older pictures shot with previous 5D versions) and I cannot correct its huge distortion. Vignetting can be corrected manually, not perfectly but I cope with it.
I hoped that new tools will be added to a PL coming version which would help.

I’d support this too, though with caution.

DxO PL5 supports all the native Leica TL APS-C lenses EXCEPT the 35mm 1.4 SUMMILUX. There are other Leica supported lenses that might be a good match but this is where my caution comment comes in, just because a module says 35mm, or 1.4, or Summilux, etc. etc. does not mean you can mix and match and count on improvements. I have no doubt the members of this community understand this all too well, but the same may not be true for less expert users.

I would imagine the optical module business is a complex one, and DxO have it as a key USP. As such, they would be keen that the results are consistent, reliable and always produce improvements. Making decoupling of tested and supported combinations possible opens the door to loads of support requests and bad reviews from those that don’t necessarily know their APS-C from their FF, or their ASPH from their APO.

There’s arguably too many acronyms of importance in this game to give Joe Public the rope to hang themself.

1 Like

Holy moley - this was requested in 2018
 will we ever get this implemented?
It’s not like users aren’t asking for it, LOTS of people use manual lenses, adapted lenses

Please implement this and let us manually select a lens profile in spring of 2023!! =]

2 Likes