Option to manually select a lensprofile

Hi.
I would like to have an option to select a lensprofile manually;
I have the fully manual Samyang (Rokinon) 14 f2.8 for Canon. A few years after I bought this one Samyang updated it with electronics for Canon (still fully manual). To my knowledge the optics are the same. Unfortunately I’m not able to get DxO’s excellent corrections on my version since DxO can’t recognise it without electronics.
Please add a selector switch/button in DxOPL so I can select it manually.
It could also be “fun” to select a wrong lensprofile for artistic purposes

if you can’t wait, patch the lens info with ExifTool.

5 Likes

I would very much like this feature as well.
Since I often shoot with the EOS M5 with adapted lenses (EF / EF-S), it would be great if I could select the lenses. Unfortunately, these are not recognized by the adapter.
Also, I could easily assign my Samyang 14mm, without having to go through the complicated way of an EXIF adaptation.
Al99

3 Likes

I tried it with “Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED UMC AE Aspherical”, but Photolab does not recognize the lens, but it shows the aperture and the focal length. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@tobsen

I use this command (as Administrator):

exiftool -LensModel="Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED UMC AE Aspherical" -FocalLength="14.0 mm" -FNumber="14" -MaxFocalLength="14.0 mm" -MinFocalLength="14.0 mm" -TargetAperture="2.8" -m -overwrite_original_in_place IMG_xxx.CR2

After executing the command, PhotoLab recognizes the lens and uses the correction automatically.

4 Likes

Thanks, now it worked. You used the same Model Name, but there seems to bee some kind of cache, if Photolab already scanned the folder, it will not update the files. I moved them to a different folder.

2 Likes

@AI99 why do execute ExifTool as administrator? If you don’t do strange things, ExifTools runs without admmin rights from a restricted user account without problems.

2 Likes

@ obetz
I have not tried it yet, but I’ll try.
Is there a way to change the EXIF data of several images in one go. (by batch or with Asterisk *)

I am seriously considering buying a Sony A6500, but for now would have to use adapted lenses like my Sony DT 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM. There NEEDS TO BE a way to tell PhotoLab, ‘Apply this lens profile to this photo.’ I have to think that, e.g., the profile for the 16-50mm f/2.8 on the A580 or A77 II would be plenty close enough to work well for pictures shot on an A6500 with the lens and an LA-EA3 adapter.

3 Likes

I agree, please let the user manually select a profile. I also own the mentioned Samyang lens and I’m unable to use the corresponding profile because of the missing exif metadata.

4 Likes

I have the same problem with my Zeiss ZF, which are like the ZF2 but without chip.
It will be great to choose a profile manually.

2 Likes

Very very usefull to chose AND DOWNLOAD (as it was possible sometime ago) a lens profile

2 Likes

A lot of manually controlled lenses need to be added though, like the Laowa 7.5 mm f2 MFT or the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5 mm f3.5 Fisheye (in my case MFT mount). I don’t think everything can be automatically corrected if this option was included. You could fix barrel distortion, but vignetting would depend on the chosen f number. You would want to be able to alter this as well in the EXIF data.

4 Likes

Yes to allowing us to select a lens profile manually. It’s ridiculous that we can’t do this. I have a lot of adapted and vintage glass to which I’d be happy to apply the closest matching profile (similar body/sensor size, similar lens characteristics).

Among others my Canon EF 80-200mm isn’t supported but I’d be very happy to apply the EF 70-200mm non-IS profile to it.

3 Likes

Let me tell you.
DxO is originally a company of scientists with which there is no room for chance :wink:

Pascal

3 Likes

At this point I don’t care. I’ve wasted two hours now on learning EXIF tool just to be able to maybe make my lenses work with DxO PhotoLab. This is completely ludicrous – and unacceptable – that we are not able to download and apply lens profiles manually. If I wanted to fiddle around on the command line when developing images, I’d be using RawTherapee. It’s free.

Yes, it’s DxO’s software and they have the right to mistreat their paying customers however they like. New users have the option to not buy the software and existing users have the right to complain loud and far about this kind of arbitrary restriction.

I am really angry now to see my time and other photographers time wasted. Not only is PhotoLab 5x slower than CaptureOne due to an out of date processing engine which can’t handle large files and/or 4K preview, the managers at DxO think it’s okay to waste our time fighting our files by blocking us from applying lens profiles manually.

Why would I work for free as a goodwill ambassador for people who think it’s okay to just waste our time?

I’m so fed up with hearing about this new DAM project or any other major new features when the basics such as speedy processing are being ignored (at least new camera and lens profiles are at last being updated in almost timely way). A “new” feature of manually updating lens profiles has 15 votes and would only take a couple of afternoons for the DxO development team to implement. The contempt DxO managers have for their existing paying users seems to be infinite.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing an exact command which works. I’d tried some similar commands myself but they did not work. Do you know what the exact requirements are to invoke a new profile?

Whatever is in your command definitely has the magic as I was able not to just add the Samyang profile to a file without EXIF lens info but replace the info from a zoom (old file with Sigma 150-600mm f5.6-6.3: terrible lens, returned it for the more expensive but very good Canon 100-400mm IS L II). New profile recognised in both FastRawViewer and PhotoLab 2.

As some have mentioned, it’s necessary to move the image to a new folder. Creating a new project is not enough. The image must be physically moved or the folder renamed (haven’t tested renaming folder actually, only physically moving the image and creating a new project. It’s pretty crazy that a new project isn’t enough.

There’s a workaround to delete the whole database. On Mac the database hides here: /Users/~/Library/DxO PhotoLab v2/DOPDatabaseV2.dopdata

As I don’t want to move my images around all the time, I guess I’ll be using that workaround regularly. Rescanning images/folders would be a very welcome addition to the File menu.

My wife has a bad back (and will get worse) and uses camera equipment based on how light it is. She has a Sigma zoom telephoto that is no longer made and support said years ago, when they were actually adding cameras and lenses in some number, that they wouldn’t ever be adding here lens. With an option to select a suitable one it would make so much easier for her as I am sure there would be alternative lenses that would be better than none!
In addition I had a Mk2 canon lens wrongly identified as the Mk1 (which I had been using). When the correct data was publicised for PL I found you have to delete the database and dop’s to change the lens data. With a way of actually selecting what lens data was used all this would be sorted.

2 Likes

Same here, i have a Pentax K20D, and when i use it with a samyang 14mm/F2.8 (wich is supposedly supported by Dxo, i installed the proper optical module), since the lens is manual, it’s not recorded in the exif, so i can’t use proper correction tool… It’s very annoying…

Having the option to manually select wich optical profile to use for “non detected lens” would be awesome !

3 Likes

Just been playing and I’ve come up with 2 observations.

1. I assume that now that PL3 has been announced, we’ve got zero chance of a patch / update to PL2 to allow this to happen :unamused:

2. If I browse a folder containing images processed by other packages (ie before I got PL2), I always get prompted to download missing modules - and all the options are for lenses I don’t own. This happens even if the folder contains an un-edited image which has the correct lens available and selected. It would make life far less annoying if I could select a profile to use with these edited images…

2 Likes