Optics Modules

Hello. What does it mean: Sony A7 q Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (JPG with in-camera correction)? Does this mean that this module makes corrections similar to chamber?

Hello @Alexkon,

On some Sony cameras the distorsion and vignetting correction can be disabled and on other it can’t. Tghis applies only on JPG.
So we provided 2 JPG modules, one for correction enabled and one for correction disabled.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Got it. Thank you Marie.

@Marie,
Based on another thread also from Alexander I tried to remove a module. I’m not able to do that. I even deleted the database.
What is a module exactly doing and how can I remove it?

George

George, you need to delete the files for these modules and reboot the PL. Anyway I do.

I already managed. In PL go to a directory that doesn’t contain images using that module. Close PL and open it again. It will open with the last directory. Now I can delete that module. As usual it’s written in the manual :unamused:
I’m still thinking about the other thread which is closed, very quick. There was something I don’t understand.

George

What exactly is George?

Look at the pictures I posted. JPEG doesn't look like RAW and the exposure is changing too. The only difference is with or without the module. The module did do more as just optical corrections.

George

This difference is because of these settings.

2020-07-07_18-10-00 2020-07-07_18-11-29

You’re right, it seems this module is not working properly. But now I know how to avoid it. And DXO doesn’t seem to be going to correct its mistake.

Hello @George ,

color and contrast can be different between RAW and JPG as our rawconversion isn’t the exact same one as the camera. You will have a duplicate of the JPG from the camera only if you use the Sony software.
PhotoLab reproduce as it can one rendering of the camera, the standard one, but now there are so much modification done by cameras according to the scene it can’t be exact.

A DxO Optics Module will correct vignetting, distorsion and lens softness.
Are these correction wrong with your module ?

If you want to remove it you have to launch PhotoLab, select a folder with no images, go to “Installed DxO Modules” and then to remove the module:

Regards,
Marie

The other thread was about the difference between what one sees on the screen and what was exported as jpg. Svetlana already pointed to that bloody 75% item But I had 2 pictures: 1 with the module and one without the module.
If you want to remove a module you first must go to a directory with no images, then restart PL. Once PL used a module it is locked for the time of the session.

The modules have impact on the line distortion and can be used with vignetting. Is there more?

George

Of course, the sharpness of the lens is too high. But now I know how to avoid it.

You don’t need to remove the module. If you’re processing RAW, use this setting: 2020-07-07_18-11-29

Vignetting, lens sharpness, Latera chromatic aberration and Distorsion:
image image

Regards,
Marie

Marie, you haven’t answered the main question: why some image properties can only be seen after converting to TIFF or JPEG? Everything should be seen while working with RAW. Changes in RAW sharpness can only be seen when you increase 100%, TIFF or JPEG at any increase.

Thanks. Lens sharpness caused the main difference between yes and no optics module in that specific example. I didn’t realize that.

George

Hello @George,

if you think that lens sharpness is too strong we can have a look, maybe it’s a calibration problem or maybe it’s just a question of taste.
Can you upload an image with its dop sidecar file for analysis ?
If you don’t want to add it here you can upload it to upload.dxo.com under your forum name (instead of the support ticket number) and let me know when ready.

regards,
Marie

You misunderstood me. I’m referring to this thread JPEG doesn't look like RAW and the exposure is changing too.
This is a photo made by Alexander. Due to a failure in downloading the module in PL I saw the picture without a module added. After downloading the module I couldn’t explain the difference. Now I can.
A bit confusing but Svetlana closed that thread quickly. That’s why it’s here.

George