'Opinion' upgrading GPU

I am looking for a new graphics card, because my current one does not support the ‘Deep Prime (XD)’ noise reduction.
I narrowed down the choice to two models. A Geforce RTX 3030 (12 Gb) or a Geforce RTX 3030 Ti (8 Gb). A Geforce RTX 3070 or heavier is out of the question, because then I also have to replace the power supply.
I look forward to hands-on experiences with one of the 2 cards. Preferably substantiated with ‘processing times’ RAW → DNG (Deep Prime (XD))

With regards, Martin
the Netherlands

What is your current graphics card?
What version of PhotoLab Elite are you using?

@MartinvanGog do you mean an RTX 3030?

There are very few reviews for that card (Edit: it does not appear to exist!?) and between the RTX3030 and the RTX3070 there is the RTX 3050 and RTX 3060 and the Ti/Super etc. versions of both?

I recently bought a low end RTX3060 and I am very pleased with the performance.

What power supply do you have installed because although large power supplies are recommended that is for gaming, DeepPrime (+XD) only use higher levels of power for short periods of time.

If you are doing a batch of 1,000 exports then the batch would last for a while but actually a much shorter time than with a less powerful card, i.e. the more powerful card might (?) have higher power usage peaks but those peaks will last for a shorter period and the whole export will be over in a shorter elapsed time!

1 Like

As a point of reference a 3070 laptop GPU can process DeepPRIME NR at a rate of about 6 Megapixels per second. DeepPRIME XD is about 2.5 MP per second.

Higher end cards with more cores will process faster and lower end cards with fewer cores will process slower.

In my experience number of GPU cores is the most important factor and performance generally scales linearly with core count.

GPU memory doesn’t matter that much.

1 Like

@MartinvanGog ,
Also keep in mind the following:

• if you’re thinking about a laptop (but I don’t think so because you talk about the PSU), remember that the mobile version of an Nvidia GPU is usually 30% (if not more) slower than the desktop version…
• I never heard of any RTX 3030… :upside_down_face: ??
• Any GPU can be undervolted to get a better ratio between temperature/performance and power consumption. A desktop RTX 3070, undervolted, runs at 170-180w instead of the out-of-the-box 220w.
I personally always undervolts CPU & GPU.

Ian.

3 Likes

Hi,

Put your money in the CPU and an NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB (generally 75W depending on implementations) will do if you don’t play games or edit videos.

That’s good advice, I have a GTX 1650 Super which is a good compromise, I spent the hundreds of GBP saved on a better CPU, a Ryzen 5900X

Hi, this thread is right on time…
I’m not familiar with DXO, but I work in IT so a friend asked me for a new config (desktop) for photo editing.
He has a 6 years old PC with Intel i3 4330, 16Go RAM and a RX580 4go graphic card.
I looked online and it seemed that GPU is not required for photo editing ? So I recomanded him to put the money on the Processor and no graphic card.
He bought a new desktop PC with i7-12700, 32Go RAM but no graphic card, but unfortunately the processing times of Deep Prime for example take much longer with the new PC which indicates that it was using GPU before ?
And now that i’m taking information about DXO it seems that some process need a graphic card to perform better… :frowning: do you confirm that ?
Then i screwed and he will need a new power supply and CG… :smiling_face_with_tear:

Hi and welcome to the world of image post processing

For your reference here is the specifications page

And if you click through on the Version 6 for Windows the pdf says this as recommended specs

Recommended system configuration:
• Intel® Core™ processor with 6 cores or better, or AMD Ryzen™
• 16 GB RAM
• 6 GB available disk space
• NVIDIA RTX™ 2060, AMD Radeon™ RX 6600 or better with latest drivers

Of note many of the post processing programs, not only DxO Photolab require and make use of the GPU to improve the processing times :wink:

All the best to sorting your friend out :slight_smile:

PS FWIW I had the GTX1050Ti for ages which was OK when I installed it but times moved on and is now the bare minimum in use so, I swapped it for the RTX3060 and the difference is marked!

Yes. DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD processing is all about the GPU of the graphics card. Without an acceptable GPU, processing of those two features uses the CPU only and is extremely slow. Keep in mind this is not just an issue for PhotoLab. Many of the current versions of post-processing programs from a variety of vendors uses graphic card GPUs extensively to speed up the processing of a variety of their features.

Mark

1 Like

@arkon67 The processor will help with general access and rendering thumbnails and the main image display and for rendering the image for export, right up to the noise reduction part of the export but DP and DP XD need a reasonably powerful graphics card to get lower times.

Don’t panic too much about the power supply unless your friend has a really “weedy” power supply.

I was running a pair of i7-4790K’s one with a 1050Ti (4GB) and the other with a 1050 (2GB) graphics card and have kept both of those running and added a Ryzen 5600G with an RTX3060 and the export time difference is large (as in way better).

Figures for i7-4790 with GTX 1050Ti:-

Where NO NR means exported with no noise reduction applied (i.e. CPU Only activity) and should be the same for the i7-4790K runs but they aren’t, the 1050Ti times came from a lightly loaded machine and the 3070 was fitted to a heavily loaded machine but the figures don’t fit that properly either!?

The power supply I am using is of good quality (Seasonic Platinum) but only 550Watts and it is more than capable of handling the new machine and the graphics card. The peaks are around 350W and short lived, i.e. while using an RTX3060 for gaming might need more power a power supply around 500W should be sufficient for DP and DP XD processing (please see comment at end of post).

i7-4790K with RTX 3060:-

The RTX 3060 has dropped below £300 in the UK and previous generation cards will provide similar or less performance but can be obtained for less money new or better still second hand. Any graphics card from a 1050Ti upwards will provide an improvement over using the inbuilt graphics (if any) or the CPU.

5600G with RTX 3060:-

The i7-12700 (Passmark 31,157-3941) is a faster CPU than my new 5600G however, the i7-12700 does appear to be reasonably power hungry and that might (?) cause issues when coupled with a powerful graphics card!?

Hi,
few month’s ago I wrote a message to the Topaz support to check which card’s are the best for all the AI stuff

I’m just one step before buying a new Notebook, but all the GPU informations for me are foreign words :face_holding_back_tears:.
I’ve preselected 3 notebooks by Lenovo and HP and would like to know if the gpu’s are fitting the gpu requirements for Topaz Photo AI
Here are the GPU’s
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 30xx
NVIDIA Quadro® T500 4 GB GDDR6
integrated Intel® Iris® Xe Grafik

Maybe you can help me to select the correct one.

That’s the answer of the Operations Manager

Guenter,

Hi and thanks for reaching out and for your patience while we catch up from the holiday weekend.
The RTX 30 series is your best bet from this list.
The others may work, but are more prone to conflict with our apps.

And during reading all the tests about GPU’s the Nvidia 30xx and now the new 40xx got the most good reviews, also for the stability of the drivers.

At the website of Nvidia there is also a comparison table where you can find the recommended Power supply output you need for any card.

Nice easter weekend to all :egg: :rabbit2:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the advices!

We are going to go with an RTX 3060 then :blush:

How do you think is it good idea for performance to swap 3060 for 4060 Ti?
It should be less power consuming and probably faster processing RAWs?
I am just afraid that 4060 Ti have less GPU RAM 8 GB vs 12 GB in 3060.

CPU is Intel 13600 + 32 GB RAM.

You might save a few seconds per image. Maybe lower power but the upgrade cost is going to far outweigh any energy cost savings.

Are you really struggling with export performance with a 3060? You really shouldn’t be struggling.

You probably only need 2GB of GPU ram so that’s no concern.

No, I am not struggling.
I had Nvidia 960 before, and that was a bit slow.
Just thinking how much performance will such upgrade give.

I’d save your money to be honest unless you want the upgrade for some other software.

GPU doesn’t speed up editing in Photolab at all. So if your whole gallery export takes 25 mins instead of 30 mins it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

You actually don’t even need a 30 series GPU for PL6 - I upgraded from a 980 Ti with 4GB VRAM to a 1660 Ti with 6GB VRAM. PL6 runs like a dream including processing 42MP raws in Deep Prime XD. The bigger problem for me was the Adobe suite - Photoshop and Lightroom ran like a dog when I had 16GB of system RAM even after I updated to the 1660. So I upgraded to 32Gb system RAM and now the Adobe suite runs like a dream too even AI stuff and Topaz plugins. And all of this with a dated i7 4790 CPU. So I would say you don’t even need a 30 series GPU

1 Like

Bonjour MikeR,
dans mon cas le changement de Carte Graphique me permet de vraiment diminuer le temps de transfert. Je passe de six minutes à 58 secondes.
Cordialement
Jean-Pierre

1 Like

Bonjour,

Avec mon PC de plus de 10 ans, j’ai juste changé de CG pour une GTX1660S et je suis passé de près de 3min à 20sec pour l’export de RAW A7III.

1 Like