ON1 Photo Raw 2022.5

Having used ON1 in the past, I switched to PL, currently PL5E, and have not looked back. ON1 has new releases too often, using a great deal of “marketing hype”, and other reasons not to consider the application. However, ON1 seems to support more lenses than does DxO PL5E, and to allow these to be used with bodies for which DxO does not seem to allow. From

https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409706974733?input_string=2022.5+z9+plus+lens+support

ON1 Photo RAW 2022 uses the open-source LensFun database. This is a crowd-sourced, creative-commons database of lens profiles. End excerpt.

Does anyone on this list have experience with LensFun? As it is crowd-sourced, I assume that there is little to no quality control, but rather post-use comments as to what does NOT properly work.

Note that from
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409707069837-Supported-File-Types-and-Camera-models-for-ON1-Photo-RAW-2022-5

NEW CAMERAS ADDED IN ON1 PHOTO RAW 2022.5 (16.5.0.12429)
June 9th, 2022

• Canon EOS R5C
  • Fujifilm X-T30 II
  • Leica M11
  • Olympus OM System OM-1
  • Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6
  • Nikon Z 9 (normal compression)

End excerpt. ON1 currently does not support Nikon Z9 HE compression and released Z9 lossless compression (“normal compression”) later than DxO.

Are you proposing that DPL should be able to use LensFun?

Not at all. But a question: how does Lens Fun compare in terms of being able to apply corrections to the DxO modules? As Lens Fun appears to be used by DarkTable and other applications that do not produce results as good as DeepPRIME, I am guessing that the DxO modules are “more detailed” or in some other ways “better”. DxO seems to use much less marketing hype than ON1.

how does Lens Fun compare in terms of being able to apply corrections to the DxO modules

OK, i don`t get the point :face_with_spiral_eyes:

i use Photolab for RAW convertion and sometimes ON1 as a plugin afterwards in post procession.
so im fine with both and i dont care about the marketing

May I suggest to get a test version and try yourself?

[ It was in 2018 when I went with ON1 PhotoRaw to realize, that they didn’t support a couple of my non exotic F-lenses (Nikon AF-S), which didn’t change then after … ]

LensFun supports geometric distortion, total chromatic aberration and vignetting. Each lens can have one, two or three of these corrections, to find out which ones, check here: Lensfun's coverage. Most common is geometric distortion.

DxO applies a much more sophisticated analysis, as I understand it, to lens corrections. In addition to the three of Lensfun, DxO improves sharpness and micro contrast which lensfun does not do at all. (you could use a third party tool like Topaz sharpenAI or On1’s tool, but see later) it also handles chromatic aberrations in each color. The benefit of DxO’s sharpening and detail enhancement is that it is specific for each lens based on in house lab measurements of the lens’s properties. Generic tools uniformly apply various algorithms independent of the lens.
I find, for the lenses that DxO supports, it’s corrections look better than generic sharpening tools. What the most advanced of these AI tools are now doing, however, is beyond basic optics and math, as they are doing area by area object recognition and rebuilding the image based on reference objects.
Sometimes this is ok, other times, it’s very artificial looking.