OM system's new body OM-1 support

@Marie This is very disappointing. Remember, your competitors already support the new OM-1 raw format.

Anything you can do to expedite the release of the OM-1 modules will be greatly appreciated by all of us!

Davey

3 Likes

“Before summer”? Summer of 2022?

1 Like

ON1 does not support the OM-1. I just downloaded a trial version of their NoNoise AI 2022, and it could not process OM-1 ORF files. ON1 PhotoRaw 2022 also can’t handle them. It looks like I’m stuck with OM Workspace until DXO releases their package. Not the worst thing, but certainly not at the level of DXO PhotoLab.

1 Like

As an outside observer (I dont use OM-1), updates get released when they get released. The whining and complaining is a very poor reflection of yourselves.
I have waited many months for camera/lens updates. It is what it is.
The software is still usable in the mean time.

5 Likes

Not so much if you’re an OM-1 shooter, which I guess is the point of the “whining”.

While I don’t agree with the tone of the most negative comments on the subject, I see nothing wrong with politely asking for improvements in the routines and scheduling of updates.

6 Likes

By taking on a new system, you also take on the knowledge that DXO take time to make camera/lens profiles. Therefore, you accept that you need to shoot RAW + JPEG and be careful of your exposures. Edit the JPEGs in the mean time.

I don’t think that anyone objects to DxO needing time to make those profiles (I certainly don’t). It’s the distribution model and schedule that seems unnecessarily sluggish

While a RAW+JPG workflow might work for some, it won’t for everyone. For 90% of what I do, it would just be a waste of precious time. And while I don’t make my living from photography, some do and are expected to deliver their usual quality just as fast as usual. But sure, hopefully they’d be smart enough to postpone the acquisition or use of the OM-1 for a while.

I’ll personally be fine, using other products when needed but that won’t stop me from wishing that I didn’t have to if it could’ve been avoided (while keeping my head leveled :slight_smile:).

3 Likes

Actually, I was prompted to download a new lens module when attempting to import a file for a camera that is not yet supported (but will be soon, apparently). Of course, the lens module was not helpful to me in any way, lol.

I ordered my OM-1 in late February - I am still waiting. Maybe DxO will add support after I get my camera! :grinning: I hear early April for the camera and May for the extra battery. (This is far from the worst delay I am experiencing - I ordered the new Tamron 35-150 zoom for Sony E (A7RM4) on December 4th of last year - I’m still waiting.) The OM-1 turned out to be a lot more popular than expected.

David

My om1 is on the way as we speak arriving tomorrow, but dxo photolab is apparently slower then a container ship. They seem to consistently be slower than competitors to release new camera profiles even on popular bodies never mind less common.

I don’t buy the “it requires an update we have to batch” as I’ve had several updates in the last couple months what’s 1 more?

Is there a way we can be beta testers?

Tim

Yes there is. In November 2022 when DxO announces it is accepting applications for the PhotoLab 7 Early Access program on this site, you can apply. The application process is open in November/December each year.

Mark

Hey Steve - just seen your post, I downloaded the trial version of ON1 NoNoise and it reads my OM-1 ORF files - something very odd??

1 Like

When PureRaw first came out, I bought it on the same day I downloaded the trial - it was that good. It is now firmly embedded in my workflow. However it never occurred to me that in committing to the DXO ecosystem, I was inadvertently locking myself into a sluggishness in supporting new equipment. Now, having taken delivery of a new OM-1, I’m stuck. What would DXO recommend I do with it?

2 Likes

If you want to process your OM-1 raw files with PhotoLab your only choice is to wait for support which could still be a few months away although it may be sooner. Does OM-1 have proprietary raw software you could use in the meantime?

Mark

Yes it does, Mark … it’s called “OM Workspace”, a free download.

John M

1 Like

@wwwebster, that’s exactly the problem. DxO’s customers have to change the workflow after paying for the DxO’s license. Not good at all.

Unfortunately, even if I convert the OM-1 raws to DNGs, PureRaw still won’t accept them. Why must that be?

1 Like

I am a little confused by your statement. I see you have been a member of this site, and presumably also a user of PhotoLab, for at least 3 years. The OM-1 camera is brand new and only recently released. It appears you chose to buy a new camera that PhotoLab and PureRAW do not yet support but make it sound like DxO did something that broke PhotoLab’s usability in the workflow you have been using for the past several years, which is not the case.

Any time there is a new camera announced all of the top rated raw processors have lag time to varying degrees before it is supported . Yes, DxO tends to take longer to support new hardware than many of their competitors which can be very frustrating in the short run, but most of us stay faithful because in the long run their optics profiles are the best.

When I received my Nikon Z fc shortly after it was released I had to resort to using Nikon’s NX Studio for a few months until that camera was supported in PhotoLab 5. Really not that big a deal. Likewise you can use always OM WorkSpace for a while. Complaining may give people some cathartic relief, but it is otherwise useless and counter productive and certainly won’t speed up DxO’s support for their hardware

Mark

5 Likes

With Adobe and C1 there’s now need to wait even with the newest bodies and that’s the way things should be also woth DxO but DxO has decided otherwise. I have originally chosen DxO as one of my tools because the best available quality for noise filtering and sharpening and I told my opinion only because of my frustration not being able use the best tools there is. I can barely manage with “the other” tools but only just. Luckily I have other bodies supproted by DxO so I am able to utilize DxO’s quality tools with them so the only thing I am complainign is the way DxO has decide to serve their customers.

2 Likes

Do you really believe DxO purposely decides to hold back implementation of new camera support just to piss off their faithful users? Are you serious? If they could manage to implement these new profiles sooner isn’t logical that they would?

Mark

1 Like