Off-Topic - advice, experiences and examples, for images that will be processed in PhotoLab

Thank you - I find all this fascinating.
Oops, I meant to post that photo here, so will do so now.

I don’t think a computer will ever be able to create an image like this, unless it is trained to learn about all these details, and what everything does. I would love to see this ship close up, and I’ll probably be reading about it very soon.

Mark - it’s incredible (to me) that you know all this - in today’s world, it is like trying to understand dinosaurs, but you really do! Congratulations!!!

I like this image. I would have preferred it if the circular device on the mast had not been cut off and the person to the extreme right had been removed.

Mark

Congratulations are really uncalled for. I am far from an expert on this subject. I build semi-scratch historic sailing ships and nothing so grandiose as Victory. A project like that scratch built would take several years and thousands of hours. Some of my friends and associates have their models in museums around the USA and the world. Mine just grace the homes of friends and family gathering dust. (Just a metaphor. They are actually mostly cased.) Semi-scratch means some of the parts I use are purchased precut.

Mark .

Maybe when you get some time, you can post photos of a couple of them?

Programs like AutoCad do that for a long time already. One doesn’t train a computer, one programs a computer.

George

Did you ever use amber for one of your models @mwsilvers ? I was very astonished to find a model of Vasa in an amber museum at Kaliningrad. Don’t know how old it is, but my mother remembered it, she was also astonished when she saw it. As child, 80 years ago.

The amount of details was stunning.

Don’t forget brass monkeys :grinning:

The Vasa sunk in 1628, your family must have great genes :grinning:

The model ship, not the one with too much cannons on it :grin:

1 Like

This has been true for many years. Software like ChatGPT 4 is about to change that.
https://time.com/6263475/gpt4-ai-projects/

I plan to sign up for the newest version today.

I don’t think it’s so much that it can do things better and/or faster than people, but it has been finding things that “people” were unaware of. I still wonder about how they will get all the relevant information into the system, so it can do its job. It can already “ingest” photographs. I want to try these things.

https://openai.com/product/gpt-4

No, I have never seen anything like that. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

It is not related to rigging, of course. It is not a term I would define for people I did not know who might find its meaning offensive. I will leave it to others to look it up.

Mark

1 Like

The Vasa, the signature warship of the Royal Swedish Navy, sunk during its maiden voyage when it heeled over after a slight breeze causing water to gush into its lower gun ports. It had only travelled around 1300 meters when the disaster occurred with the loss of around 50 lives. The sinking was the result of major design flaws, which are two numerous to discuss here. Well over 300 years later the Vasa was recovered in remarkably good shape and the hull, which is almost entirely original and complete, can now be seen in a museum in Stockholm, Sweden

Mark

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s very impressive - they look to have built the museum around it

1 Like

That is correct.

Mark

I remember doing to list the Wasa in 1976 when I was serving in the Royal Navy, you could only view the hull through the mist of the preserving agents.

I don’t know what steering wheel the Vasa has, but this one is from the Amerigo Vespucci.

Four man can handle the wheel.

George

1 Like

Yes, it was sprayed with polyethylene glycol for many years which replaced the water in the wood to stabilize it.

Mark

I’m afraid all my comments have shifted Mike’s purpose of demonstrating what AI software can do when it comes to creating something close to a photograph.

So far, based on his various attempts posted here, it seems the particular software he is using may not be up to the task of creating credible photographs using AI. However iI may work better for much less detailed subjects like a building. Perhaps an attempt to create an image of the Taj Mahal or St Paul’s Cathedral in London using AI may yield more realistic looking results.

Mark

AI is self learning.Meaning that the program needs feedback of what it produced so it can correct it itself.
This program just creates an image.
I didn’t install it.

George