Notice! The 16 FilmPack 5 Elite Color Negative presets I created in PL2, and distributed in September 2019, will have to be updated

This is an update to this thread as of July 12th… .

I just discovered after reading a response to this thread from @rrblint, and performing some additional tests with him, that only the 16 Color Negative presets, part of the 82 FilmPack 5 Elite partial presets I made available last year, need to be modified, My earlier version of this post suggested that all 82 presets needed to be modified. That is not the case. This is a correction to what I stated earlier yesterday in this thread.

These 16 FilmPack Elite Color Negative presets will overlay any local adjustments that were applied before one of these presets is selected. I want everyone who uses the Color Negative presets to be aware of this limitation and I hope no one spoiled any images as a result. I’ve already begun to correct the error and will provide updates within the next few days.

Of course if no local adjustments are applied, or are if they are added after one of these 16 film type presets is applied there shouldn’t be any issues. .

My apologies for any inconvenience,
Mark.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update Mark. I hadn’t caught that, but generally local adjustments are the last thing I do, so I wouldn’t have noticed.

1 Like

I have probably changed FilmPack film types on at least two hundred images in the 8+ months since PL3 was released, and I just noticed it myself last night.

Mark

I had to read your post three times before i understood your words.
And stil i am in the dark about the local adjusments. Partial is partial and local adjustment wasn’t in the list of active tools or do i misunderstood you?

Do you imply that when ever there is a new palette or tool implemented i have to check all my presets?

1 Like

All I know is if you use my presets as is with local adjustments previously set they will overlay them. Perhaps the problem existed even in PL2. I never tested for them with local adjustments. I already changed one of the film types and it fixed the problem. I’ don’t believe other older partial presets in general are impacted. After further testing, with assistance from @rrblint, I determined that only 16 of the 82 presets are affects. I’ve changed the name of this topic and reworded my first post to reflect this current information. Very sorry if I caused you any confusion.

Mark

Hi Mark. Your presets that I have downloaded are not acting as you suggest. I’ve only tried one of them so far, Agfa B&W 25. I put a big blob in the sky using local adjustments then applied the preset and the blob is still there. What preset(s) are you using where you observe this behavior?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I tested again and the issue appears to be only for the 16 Color Negative presets. Those were the only ones I tested when I identified the problem. I just tested the Color Positive, Black & White and Crossed Processed presets and they all look correct. Could you test a couple of the Color Negatives as well please? I’ve already modified two and there are only 16 of them so it won’t take me very long. I’m going to alter the title of this thread and my first post to reflect this new information…

Mark.

Yes, it seems to only be the color negative presets that are affected. I tried a couple of each type(neg, pos, cross, etc.) and the color negative presets are the only ones that have check marks in both white balance and local adjustments in addition to color rendering. A very easy fix. :grinning:

1 Like

Yep. Thanks for confirming that, and for discovering that the issue didn’t affect all 82 presets. There are only 16 I have to modify and I’ve already done two of them. I will probably update the rest on Sunday or Monday. I’ve already changed the title of this thread and my first post to reflect this new information. You saved me a lot of aggravation :slight_smile:

Thanks again,
Mark

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I’ve changed the title of this thread and my first post to reflect new information after additional testing done by myself and @rrblint. The issue is with the 16 Color Negative Filmpack presets. They will overlay local adjustments. All the other Filmpack presets work as intended. I will update those 16 presets within the next day or two.

Mark

1 Like

Mark - Have you been able to work out if it was something specific about those 16 Color Neg presets (perhaps you did all those at the same time, and there was something about this batch that caused the problem?) … Or, if they’re exactly the same as all the others then it might be worthwhile reporting this to Svetlana for investigation (?)

John M

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything specific about those presets and I’m not sure how it happened. I created them almost a year ago. I thought I was being really careful. I’m surprised that I, or someone else, didn’t notice it sooner.

Mark

This is the problem of backward protection not being done when changes are done to the programs.

This was an error on my part since the other 66 FilmPack presets are fine. I originally believed that all 82 presets had this problem but it was only this one group of 16 that was affected. I certainly would not blame the programming in any way and I’m sorry if I gave you the impression that I was.

Mark

Edit: That’s a bit of a leap. And if it’s true it’s a backwards compatible issue , it can be a deeply hidden issue which never can be found by normal testing.

Some things you don’t want to have backwards protected only made visible by a !
If a change is notisable then a warning or reminder would be great.
Problem is how to implement.
If settings arn’t changed in the dopfile but outcome is , how can a application knows that?
Only developers can build in a date as threshold to create a VC if dop file is before that date so you can choose
Master old version, vc1 new version.

1 Like

Peter,

I’m confused by this post. Did you intend to put it in this topic?

Mark

Sorry i rewrite the post a bit.
It was about the jumped conclusion blaming the application.

1 Like

No apology necessary. I read it again and understood most of what you were saying, I also just realized you were responding to @john7, not me.

Mark

The problem has nothing to do with backwards compatibility. It’s the fact that “white balance” and “local adjustments” were accidentally checked along with the desired check mark for “color rendering” in these 16 presets. Just a simple mistake(we’re all human after all :innocent:).

2 Likes

I know these presets are only used by a small group of people here, but I’m still surprised no one noticed this problem after almost a whole year.

Mark

1 Like